Re: Power problem maybe

  • RKopicki
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 14, 2010
      I had a similar problem a few years back. The more I tripped the ground fault the easier it tripped. I replaced the ground fault outlet and things went back to normal. Also, think GROUND FAULT! Check to make sure everything is properly grounded.

      My two pennies.

      Bob Kopicki
      Massillon OH
      '73 Midas Mini
    • Sirrobyn0
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 14, 2010
        After doing a little websearching I found that Ted and Bob are exactly right a GFI trips when there is a difference between electron flow IE something other than the electrical wiring completing the ground circuit. It does not matter how many AMPS are flowing though the circuit that is up to the circuit breaker. I'd love to have true 30amp service but that ain't going to happen this week. Now that I have a better understanding of how the GFI works I think I'll start by replacing the outlet and see what happens.

        Thanks for jump starting my brain cells, I'll let you all know if that fixes it, in the mean time my ear will stay open.

        Rob

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "RKopicki" <bobandpeni@...> wrote:

        > I had a similar problem a few years back. The more I tripped the ground fault the easier it tripped. I replaced the ground fault outlet and things went back to normal. Also, think GROUND FAULT! Check to make sure everything is properly grounded.
        >
        > My two pennies.
        >
        > Bob Kopicki
        > Massillon OH
        > '73 Midas Mini

      • Ted Kroll
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 15, 2010
          I had that happen in my old Winnebago and it was the a/c wiring in the wall/ceiling. I think U may be able to trouble shoot at your breaker box by turning them all off, plugging it in, then turn each one on until it the GFI trips.
          Ted
          After doing a little websearching I found that Ted and Bob are exactly right a GFI trips when there is a difference between electron flow IE something other than the electrical wiring completing the ground circuit. It does not matter how many AMPS are flowing though the circuit that is up to the circuit breaker. I'd love to have true 30amp service but that ain't going to happen this week. Now that I have a better understanding of how the GFI works I think I'll start by replacing the outlet and see what happens.

          Thanks for jump starting my brain cells, I'll let you all know if that fixes it, in the mean time my ear will stay open.

          Rob

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "RKopicki" <bobandpeni@...> wrote:

          > I had a similar problem a few years back. The more I tripped the ground fault the easier it tripped. I replaced the ground fault outlet and things went back to normal. Also, think GROUND FAULT! Check to make sure everything is properly grounded.
          >
          > My two pennies.
          >
          > Bob Kopicki
          > Massillon OH
          > '73 Midas Mini

        • Sirrobyn0
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 15, 2010
            My RV has two circuit breakers one for A/C and one labeled outlets. The GFI (in the barn) blows when I turn on the one labeled outlets. Everything in the RV exept the A/C is on the outlet circuit. The fridge plugs into an outlet inside the outside cover. There is one outside outlet three inside. The lights and stove hood are 12 volt as is the furnace fan so I don't think it's that. I guess I should look at the outside outlet first as that is the one that gets battered by weather. The only thing I don't know is where the 12 volt converter is in the circuit, before or after the breakers.

            Thanks,
            Rob

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

            > I had that happen in my old Winnebago and it was the a/c wiring in the wall/ceiling. I think U may be able to trouble shoot at your breaker box by turning them all off, plugging it in, then turn each one on until it the GFI trips.
            > Ted

          • ez zinger
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 15, 2010
              You have made headway in your detective work -
              Have you been able to determine your barn GFI amp rating to know that you have your 30 amp capacity, which would match your campground service connection???
              GFI receptacles go as low as 15 amp.  the number will be cast into the plastic on the backside of the unit if it is UL rated manufacture.

              If all of that checks correctly you will want to shut down/disconnect all 120V equipment and lights (unplug all 120V equipment and remove light bulbs & retest barn circuit connection.
              If that fails you will first try to find your battery charger and disconnect that 120V connection and re-test.
              By this time you will have eliminated any high amp loads that all worked correctly in your campground hookup.

              keep me posted...  Eric

              My RV has two circuit breakers one for A/C and one labeled outlets.  The GFI (in the barn) blows when I turn on the one labeled outlets.  Everything in the RV exept the A/C is on the outlet circuit.  The fridge plugs into an outlet inside the outside cover.  There is one outside outlet three inside.  The lights and stove hood are 12 volt as is the furnace fan so I don't think it's that.  I guess I should look at the outside outlet first as that is the one that gets battered by weather.  The only thing I don't know is where the 12 volt converter is in the circuit, before or after the breakers.

              Thanks,
              Rob

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...> wrote:

              > I had that happen in my old Winnebago and it was the a/c wiring in the wall/ceiling. I think U may be able to trouble shoot at your breaker box by turning them all off, plugging it in, then turn each one on until it the GFI trips.
              > Ted

            • Sirrobyn0
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 15, 2010
                I don't know what the amp rating is of the GFI outlet, but the breaker in the barn is 20amp so I can't imagine the GFI is any higher. As mentioned before I do not have a true 30amp connection at home. I am pluging in the a regular GFI wall outlet via an standard adaptor plug. I do have to be careful how much I turn on in the RV when connected like that or I can blow the barn breaker. Also the GFI is tripping even with nothing turned on in the RV so I don't think I'm over loading circuit. At this point I think it is narrowed down to something on the outlet circuit in the RV. Next I'll check the outside outlet on the RV, if thats not it I'll disconnect the converter after that it'll be individual plugs and wiring, but it'll have to wait till the Sunday or Monday when I have time in the daylight. And I'll keep you all posted as always.

                Rob

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, ez zinger <ezzinger@...> wrote:

                > You have made headway in your detective work -
                > Have you been able to determine your barn GFI amp rating to know that you have your 30 amp capacity, which would match your campground service connection???
                > GFI receptacles go as low as 15 amp.  the number will be cast into the plastic on the backside of the unit if it is UL rated manufacture.
                >
                > If all of that checks correctly you will want to shut down/disconnect all 120V equipment and lights (unplug all 120V equipment and remove light bulbs & retest barn circuit connection.
                > If that fails you will first try to find your battery charger and disconnect that 120V connection and re-test.
                > By this time you will have eliminated any high amp loads that all worked correctly in your campground hookup.
                >
                > keep me posted...  Eric

              • Don (MI)
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 16, 2010
                  Hi Rob,

                  I had a similar problem on my trailer.  It has an outside receptacle that is on
                  the same circuit as the kitchen and bathroom receptacles, all connected to a GFI
                  breaker in the trailer.  One morning we awoke to find that circuit breaker was
                  tripped and would not reset.  The kitchen receptacle was fine the evening before
                  and there was nothing plugged in to any of the receptacles in the morning.  As I
                  stepped out of the trailer (Airstream) to get my meter out of the truck, I
                  noticed the trailer was dripping from a heavy dew.  The outside receptacle had a
                  broken cover and, although the face of that receptacle was in a vertical plane,
                  it was also covered with dew.  I wiped it off but that didn't help at the
                  time, however, later in the day, after the warm air dried all of the dew, the
                  circuit began to work.  I didn't do anything about the problem, thinking it was
                  an isolated case but it occurred again the next day.  Same thing.  I dried the
                  receptacle and later in the day it began working.  After it began working, I
                  covered the face of the outside receptacle with tape to prevent
                  moisture entering and although we had several heavy dew days after, that the
                  problem did not occur again.

                  Don MI)

                  I don't know what the amp rating is of the GFI outlet, but the breaker in the
                  barn is 20amp so I can't imagine the GFI is any higher.  As mentioned before I
                  do not have a true 30amp connection at home.  I am pluging in the a regular GFI
                  wall outlet via an standard adaptor plug.  I do have to be careful how much I
                  turn on in the RV when connected like that or I can blow the barn breaker. Also
                  the GFI is tripping even with nothing turned on in the RV so I don't think I'm
                  over loading circuit.  At this point I think it is narrowed down to something on
                  the outlet circuit in the RV.  Next I'll check the outside outlet on the RV, if
                  thats not it I'll disconnect the converter after that it'll be individual plugs
                  and wiring, but it'll have to wait till the Sunday or Monday when I have time in
                  the daylight.  And I'll keep you all posted as always.

                  Rob

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, ez zinger <ezzinger@...> wrote:

                  > You have made headway in your detective work -
                  > Have you been able to determine your barn GFI amp rating to know that you have
                  >your 30 amp capacity, which would match your campground service connection???
                  > GFI receptacles go as low as 15 amp.  the number will be cast into the plastic
                  >on the backside of the unit if it is UL rated manufacture.
                  >
                  > If all of that checks correctly you will want to shut down/disconnect all 120V
                  >equipment and lights (unplug all 120V equipment and remove light bulbs & retest
                  >barn circuit connection.
                  > If that fails you will first try to find your battery charger and disconnect
                  >that 120V connection and re-test.
                  > By this time you will have eliminated any high amp loads that all worked
                  >correctly in your campground hookup.
                  >
                  > keep me posted...  Eric

                • gmmullins4
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 17, 2010
                    it should be noted that an rv is wired different than a house, while you can put a gfi in a rv, you should not plug into a gfi for shore power, the fact that the rv generates a rf signal is enough to blow any gfi circut. these things are not that hard to find if you know what you are looking for. A GFI plug and a circuit breaker perform two very different functions and a short (like connecting the hot and neutral together) will not necessarily pop a GFI unit. you can blow a breaker and the GFI can still be engaged. a breaker pops when enough heat is generated inside the breaker from an overload condition. a GFI plug/unit does not look at overload conditions but monitors the current coming in on the hot wire (black) and the current leaving on the neutral wire (white). If the electrons coming in and going out don't match, the GFI will pop. This can happen in an rv from older wiring or installing a household appliance in a rv that bridges the grounded neutral (white) with the ground (green). you can do that in your house (you shouldn't but manufacturers do... like on that 2003 vintage clothes dryer I have) but not in your rv. the GFI basically looks for electrons/current finding ground other than where you want them to (i.e. the white neutral wire) and this can happen without ever producing an overload situation that will pop a breaker. How this is designed in a land-based house versus a rv is different.... and no matter how you work it, it will continue to pop the GFI, rv's are not houses~! dump the gfi outlet shore power outlet and put in exactly what you would find in an rv park a 'regular protected 30amp outlet' or in your case a regular 20amp outlet.
                  • Jerry Noone
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 17, 2010
                      This post pretty much covers what I was going to say. The only thing I might add
                      is that there may be a GFI built into the RV. Connecting to another GFI (the
                      barn) is certain to cause issues.

                      Plug into a non-GFI circuit rated at 30 amps and see if the issue goes away.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 17, 2010
                        I'm waiting for Sunday to do further testing but in the mean time... If I didn't mention it earlier, No there are no GFI outlets in the RV, just the outlet in the barn that I plug into at home. And again when plugged into a 30amp plug (non-GFI) at a campground there are no obvious problems. I probably wouldn't have thought to much about this if it had always blow in GFI, but it has slowly been getting worse so I suspect something has changed. As mentioned in an earlier post I have an action plan of things to check starting with the outside outlet on the RV, we have had a lot of rain lately and if moisture is getting inside that outlet that could do it. So we shall see and I will keep the list post in the mean time I will keep my ears on.

                        Rob

                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 18, 2010
                          how many 30amp and 50amp gfi breakers do you need?

                          http://www.hardwareandtools.com/GE-Industrial-Systems-THQL1130GFP-1-30-Amp-Ground-Fault-Circuit-Breaker-6122626.html

                          http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100147387&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100147387&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D27X-_-100147387&locStoreNum=1402&marketID=113

                          they have been around a pretty long time. i can get them either for commercial use or home use either way they have them, they work well for point of use but crappy for external rv use.

                          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "richard" <lamont4689@...> wrote:

                          > there are only 15 & 20 amp GFI receptacles--
                          > the 20 amp is a commercial unit-
                          > there are NO 30 amp GFI receptacles that I can fine.

                        • gmmullins4
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 18, 2010
                            your very right but also realize that a gfi after the fuse box in the rv is acceptable, as it will not pick up the rf from the rv as it is a point of use application. plenty have them in the bathroom area and kitchen area. my 84 eldorado has just the one in the bathroom, this same gfi runs the outlet outside the rv as well. my monaco has four of them, located in areas where water is prevalent. which is where they need to be.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 19, 2010
                              "Any recepticle becomes a GFI recepticle when a GFI breaker is used. No matter if it is built into the recepticle or not." those words are straight from the NFPA code book.

                              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "richard" <lamont4689@...> wrote:

                              > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "richard" <lamont4689@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > there are only 15 & 20 amp GFI receptacles--
                              > > the 20 amp is a commercial unit-
                              > > there are NO 30 amp GFI receptacles that I can fine.
                              > >
                              > I SAID RECEPTACLES-----
                              >
                              > I DID NOT SAY CIRCUIT BREAKERS

                            • Ted Kroll
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 19, 2010
                                Also ALL receptacles are protected when there is ONE GFI receptacle in the circuit.
                                Ted

                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 19, 2010
                                  So true! Just because that old duplex receptacle isn't marked as GFI and don't
                                  look like a GFI, is no sign that it is not protected by a GFI receptacle or GFI
                                  breaker.

                                  Back when I did service work I went out on a lot of calls that were simply a GFI
                                  tripped in one bathroom causing the receptacles in the other bath to stop.
                                  People always had trouble understanding how the "regular plug in" could be
                                  tripped.

                                  ________________________________
                                  "Any recepticle becomes a GFI recepticle when a GFI breaker is used. No matter
                                  if it is built into the recepticle or not." those words are straight from the
                                  NFPA code book.

                                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "richard" <lamont4689@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "richard" <lamont4689@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > there are only 15 & 20 amp GFI receptacles--
                                  > > the 20 amp is a commercial unit-
                                  > > there are NO 30 amp GFI receptacles that I can fine.
                                  > >
                                  > I SAID RECEPTACLES-----
                                  >
                                  > I DID NOT SAY CIRCUIT BREAKERS

                                • Ron Mitchell
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 19, 2010
                                    GFI wall outlets (receptacles) are 15 & 20 Amps,
                                    but GFI circuit breakers, which go into the
                                    breaker panel, can be rated at up to 100 Amps and
                                    can be either single phase (standard 120/208V
                                    outlet) or 3-phase (heavier equipment) and come
                                    in 120/208/220V, 480V and up. The really big ones
                                    are used to protect stuff like heavy-duty
                                    commercial shop equipment (lathes, saws, drill presses, mills, etc.).

                                    Ron
                                    76 Coachmen

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 19, 2010
                                      I have a circuit like that. When the bathroom GFI
                                      trips, the hall light goes out. Took me a while to figure that one out!

                                      Ron
                                      76 Coachmen

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 19, 2010
                                        That would depend on how the circuit is wired.
                                        All circuits "downstream" from the GFI, which get
                                        their feed from the protected lead of the GFI would be protected.

                                        If you have a GFI breaker in the panel, then all
                                        circuits connected to that breaker are protected.

                                        Ron
                                        76 Coachmen

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 19, 2010
                                          Well, I still haven't gotten to looking into the RV problem as Christmas stuff has attacked my schedule, if you know what I mean, but when I do get into it I'll let everyone know what I find.

                                          I just wanted to say that this topic has been very informative, I have a basic understanding of how electricity works, but I had very little knowledge of GFI stuff. I also didn't know there was such a thing as a GFI breaker. How can you tell the difference between a regular breaker and a GFI breaker? One of the breakers in the RV has a test button underneath it, I never thought that was GFI breaker (because I didn't know there was such a thing) before now but I'm starting to wonder.

                                          Thanks, to all those who have been sharing there knowledge,

                                          Rob

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Dec 19, 2010
                                            All GFI receptacles and breakers have a "Test"
                                            button. The breaker in you RV must be a GFI, I
                                            don't know what else a (red) Test button would be
                                            for. When you push the Test button, it leaks a
                                            small current to ground, which should trip the
                                            breaker. Try turning this breaker off, before you
                                            connect up to shore power. If that works, look to
                                            see what is connected to this circuit in the RV.
                                            Maybe the GFI in the building you're connecting
                                            to is more sensitive than the one in the RV and
                                            is tripping first. The "leakage" current for
                                            GFI's is measured in milliamps, but they can have different trip points.

                                            Ron
                                            76 Coachmen

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 20, 2010
                                              You are right, Ron!! Thank you
                                              Ted

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 20, 2010
                                                Ok thanks for the information, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a GFI breaker up until a day or so ago. I thought the only GFI systems were the outlet type.

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Apr 16, 2011
                                                  For anyone that has been wondering. I promised I would let everyone know why the GFI breaker in my barn was blowing when I plugged my motorhome into it. Turns out it was the outside on the RV, was leaking just enough water in the outlet to do it. It was a simple fix, just a matter of sealing it up really good with some butyl putty tape. I'm about 4 months behind on posting this, but I never would have figured this out without the help of the folks here, so I thought I should tell the rest of the story and say thanks, better late than never I hope.

                                                  Rob