Class C Height

  • BobP
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2010
      I've been seeing a lot of older Class C's advertised for sale recently-cheap. My interest has been travel trailers so I'm not sure about the heights.

      Obviously they'll vary (the new Winnebago's go from 10' 5" to 11'5"), but about how tall are the older Dodge chassis class C's running? I'm looking at 70's and 80's models around 25 feet long. Dodge C's seem to outnumber all others.

      The Condo Nazi's are after my van, it won't fit in the garage, so I'm looking at storage and warehouse space. Many of these have large roll up doors of varying heights. I would like an idea of what to look for.

      Thanks,
      Bob
    • ez zinger
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2010
        You are just one of multitudes being forced into storage yards sponsored by various RV serivce industries in cohorts with the local government agencies.

        Place a long stick across the top of your rig with some overhang and measure to the ground on both sides to determine average height clearance requirement - give yourself 4-6" elbow room for suspension bounce.
        My '79 Dodge Chinook w/storage locker on top requires 10'6" clearance.  I post it in large numbers on the center of my steering wheel.....

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2010
          Thanks.

          I don't have a C yet. I'm just trying to get a rough idea on the height of the older ones like yours. Those commercial roll up doors vary a lot. I figure I figure I can share the rent on a smallish (4000 sq. ft.) warehouse and ummm... ditch the condo entirely. Heck, maybe I can talk the other folks into giving me a break on my share of the rent for providing full time security! ;>)

          I have been looking for another small travel trailer but keep seeing all these Class C's really cheap. I like the stick idea. I think I've got a long painter's extension pole I can carry around while I look.

          The Condo Nazis are after my normal (not even a high top) full size van. They seem to be trying to change the rules without a vote. I'm the only hold out left so leaving might be cheaper than a guldurn lawyer. I'll be trying to check legal costs and odds of success today.

          Bob