looking for Dodge MB300 suspension info

  • ezzinger
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 2010
      Hello all,
      I am faced with damaged front upper control arm on a 1979 Dodge MB300 chassis which has independent suspension, not a solid beam axle.

      From my reading, I understand that this is not an uncommon part failure and I would like to find someone with hands on experience.

      I would appreciate any assistance available from group members regarding parts supply and/or repair technique on upper control arm that has a ball joint pounded loose from it's fit.
      I am seriously considering having new ball joints welded into the old control arms as an alternative repair method.

      I do have the Haynes conventional van & motorhome manuals plus the MOPAR Motorhome Parts Manual if you wish to refer to any of these.

      Everyone is welcome to give this dilemma a spin. Give me your thoughts.
      Eric
    • Jabba Truck
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 14, 2010
        About 15 years ago, an upper ball joint came loose on my 1984 Ramcharger.  It
        uses the same ball joint as your 79 Dodge, according to Moog.

        I noticed it on a Saturday morning when I was scheduled to be at work in 30
        minutes.  I worked until 3, then took it to the NTB, because they were the only
        place I could think of that would still be open that late on a weekend.Their
        mechanic looked at it, said that when a ball joint gets popped out like that, it
        ruins the control arm.  He said the control arm wasn't available except as a
        junkyard part, and the junkyards were closed.  He could get the part on Tuesday
        and fix the car for something like $450 1996 dollars.

        I figured since I had to wait until Tuesday anyway, I'd let a trusted Monday
        through Friday mechanic look at it first.  He told me the NTB mechanic either
        had no Mopar experience or was trying to pad the bill.  Those ball joints don't
        press in, they thread in, and occasionally come loose and back themselves out
        (unscrewed, not pounded)  The threads have shallow and gradual ridges, unlike
        most automotive fasteners..

        The part was about $25, there was less than an hour of installation labor and
        then an alignment adjustment, and I was out the door for $90 or so.  That was
        80,000 miles ago and I've had no further troubles with it.

        http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.whisystems.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/MOO/K778_ANG.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bestvalueautoparts.com/RenderScriptTemplate.epc%3F_cmd%3Depccat_VehicleWHD%26yearid%3D1996%2540%25401996%26makeid%3D23%2540%2540DODGE%2540%2540B%26modelid%3D4536%2540%2540VAN%2BB2500%2B3%252F4%2BTON%26engineid%3D29404%2540%2540V8-318ci%2B5.2L%2BCNG%252FFI%2BVin%2BT%2540%254029404%26catid%3D9%2540%2540Steering%252FSuspension%26subcatid%3D139%2540%2540Ball%2BJoints%2Band%2BControl%2BArms%26mode%3DPA%26source%3DGOOGLEBASE%26clientid%3DBestValueAutoParts&usg=__ITld_nH-qJHSMfBDYSUlVUnAvTE=&h=864&w=900&sz=400&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=gFR2T9gix8_o9M:&tbnh=141&tbnw=147&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMOOG-K778%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26biw%3D1276%26bih%3D770%26tbs%3Disch:1,isz:lt,islt:svga&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=125&vpy=100&dur=1691&hovh=220&hovw=229&tx=89&ty=123&ei=C8ngTNLMIoK0lQetpbSJDQ&oei=C8ngTNLMIoK0lQetpbSJDQ&esq=1
        &page=1&ndsp=6&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

        ________________________________
        I am faced with damaged front upper control arm on a 1979 Dodge MB300 chassis
        which has independent suspension, not a solid beam axle.

        From my reading, I understand that this is not an uncommon part failure and I
        would like to find someone with hands on experience.

        I would appreciate any assistance available from group members regarding parts
        supply and/or repair technique on upper control arm that has a ball joint
        pounded loose from it's fit.
        I am seriously considering having new ball joints welded into the old control
        arms as an alternative repair method.

        I do have the Haynes conventional van & motorhome manuals plus the MOPAR
        Motorhome Parts Manual if you wish to refer to any of these.

        Everyone is welcome to give this dilemma a spin. Give me your thoughts.
        Eric

      • gmmullins4
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 15, 2010
          moog part k778

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "ezzinger" <ezzinger@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > I am faced with damaged front upper control arm on a 1979 Dodge MB300 chassis which has independent suspension, not a solid beam axle.
          >
          > From my reading, I understand that this is not an uncommon part failure and I would like to find someone with hands on experience.
          >
          > I would appreciate any assistance available from group members regarding parts supply and/or repair technique on upper control arm that has a ball joint pounded loose from it's fit.
          > I am seriously considering having new ball joints welded into the old control arms as an alternative repair method.
          >
          > I do have the Haynes conventional van & motorhome manuals plus the MOPAR Motorhome Parts Manual if you wish to refer to any of these.
          >
          > Everyone is welcome to give this dilemma a spin. Give me your thoughts.
          > Eric

        • winchesterman50
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 15, 2010
            As far as a replacement ball joint, Moog data indicates there are a few choices:
            http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/products.asp?cat=13230
            Make sure you pick the correct one.

            Replacement Control arm would be a junkyard item.
            http://market.autopartsfair.com/dodge-usedparts/b300_van-catalog.html
            Most junkyards have a cross reference database and should be a able to tell you if B300, CB300, and MB 300 control arms are interchangeable. Bushings are also listed on the site above.

            The Dodge Motorhome Service and Parts manuals for 78-79 M300, M400, M500, & M600 Class A chassis will not help you much. For Class C (MB300) you need the 1979 Dodge Sportsman & Plymouth Voyager Van & Front Sections Service Manual (B100-300, PB100-300, CB300-400, MB300-400); P/N 81-470-9010

            http://www.moparmanuals.com/mopar/main/Products.asp?check=1&txtSel_make=dodge&txtSel_year=79&year=79&lstMake=dodge&submit.x=37&submit.y=5
            or
            http://www.autobooksbishko.com/Items/1979%20Dodgetruck%20Plymouth%20Shop%20Manual/11766.html

            Dodge Parts book would be:
            1978-1981 Dodge Light Duty Truck Parts Book
            (SERIES PW-PB-PD-AW-B-C-D-E-F-M-S-W MOTORHOMES - VANS - PICKUP - FORWARD CAB & MORE ); P/N 81-690-1482
            http://www.moparmanuals.com/mopar/main/Products.asp?check=1&txtSel_make=dodge&txtSel_year=79&year=79&lstMake=dodge&submit.x=37&submit.y=5

            Dave