new member

  • Lee Morris
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 4, 2000
      Hello,
      My name is Lee Morris. My wife and I are new to camping. We just bought a
      1970 24' Terry travel trailer 2 weeks ago. I'm glad to have found this list
      as I may need to do a few repairs on it. I didn't get any kind of manual so
      I've been taking things apart to find out how they are supposed to work. In
      a couple weeks it will become our home for the next few months.
      One question I have is how often does the holding tank need to be dumped?
      Lee Morris

    • bob creely
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 26 8:06 AM
        my name is bob creely and i live in northwest ohio.
        we own a 79 georgie boy in fairly good shape and
        really are novices to rving. we have used our camper
        for only about a dozen local camping trips(less than
        50 miles) and really love it. we have lots of
        apprehension about longer trips, but it is fading
        slowly.
        as i've been reading messages i see loads of people
        slowly putting older rvs back into running order which
        is what i am doing. my experience is that some rv
        owners should NEVER try their own repairs.
        the previous owner of mine included. i've been two
        years tracing wiring on the lowvoltage side, and still
        find reversed lines and POWERED grounds every now and
        then.
        luckily most have been cleared and even the add-on
        battery charger under the hood has been eliminated,
        the batteries now stay up with the inhouse rectifier
        unit.
        i'm now into appearance repairs and need information
        on rot elimination. i'd like to talk to someone who
        has stripped the skin and replaced wood under
        structure. my problems are on the bottom skirts and
        below the water storage tank area. the skin no longer
        has anything to hang on and the previous owner used
        lots of silicone to "glue" trim back on. i'd like to
        do a root canal and put real wood back in. i just
        don't want to dive in before i get an idea of just
        what is under the skin and how to get panels off
        without ruining them, and finding new ones if i do
        destroy them.
        my background is mechanical engineering and machine
        design, so if i can assist anyone with problems in the
        mechanical areas i am willing to try.
        thanks for keeping the group alive.
        bob and kim creely

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • Rose Waymire
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 26 9:30 AM
          Welcome to classic RV!

          Wow I thought scraping the roof and resealing was a big job! I
          haven't done any skin removal but I hae done wood and paneling
          replacement on the interior. I have an old travel trailer that I have
          attempted to bring back to life as well as my MH-Class C. The trailer
          had a bad leak in the front over the dinnete area and all of the
          paneling had rotted out as well as the wall joists (might be the
          wrong word for them)and window framing. When I got all the paneling
          out the wall joists were 2x2's. In some of the areas I was able to
          tie into the existing joists. In other places I had to remove the old
          and replace completely. None of the outside metal panels were screwed
          to the joists so it was fairly painless replaceing them. The windows
          screwed out from the outside and after replacing the putty tape they
          screwed right back into the new wood. There was some remenant
          fiberglass insulation in there and I did not replace it since I
          wasn't planing to use the trailer in cold weather and also had no
          airconditioning. Replacing the paneling was difficult but since you
          are not working from the inside I won't go into that. I would
          reccomend talking to some RV tech people to see what kinds of things
          they think might give you trouble doing it yourself. Good Luck!

          Rose from Nebraska

          --- In classicrv@egroups.com, bob creely <bcreely@y...> wrote:
          > my name is bob creely and i live in northwest ohio.
          > we own a 79 georgie boy in fairly good shape and
          > really are novices to rving. we have used our camper
          > for only about a dozen local camping trips(less than
          > 50 miles) and really love it. we have lots of
          > apprehension about longer trips, but it is fading
          > slowly.
          > as i've been reading messages i see loads of people
          > slowly putting older rvs back into running order which
          > is what i am doing. my experience is that some rv
          > owners should NEVER try their own repairs.
          > the previous owner of mine included. i've been two
          > years tracing wiring on the lowvoltage side, and still
          > find reversed lines and POWERED grounds every now and
          > then.
          > luckily most have been cleared and even the add-on
          > battery charger under the hood has been eliminated,
          > the batteries now stay up with the inhouse rectifier
          > unit.
          > i'm now into appearance repairs and need information
          > on rot elimination. i'd like to talk to someone who
          > has stripped the skin and replaced wood under
          > structure. my problems are on the bottom skirts and
          > below the water storage tank area. the skin no longer
          > has anything to hang on and the previous owner used
          > lots of silicone to "glue" trim back on. i'd like to
          > do a root canal and put real wood back in. i just
          > don't want to dive in before i get an idea of just
          > what is under the skin and how to get panels off
          > without ruining them, and finding new ones if i do
          > destroy them.
          > my background is mechanical engineering and machine
          > design, so if i can assist anyone with problems in the
          > mechanical areas i am willing to try.
          > thanks for keeping the group alive.
          > bob and kim creely

          > http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • Scot Jacobson
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 26 11:18 AM
            WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME. We can always use new members with great
            ideas and tips!

            Scot - Oregon

            --- In classicrv@egroups.com, bob creely <bcreely@y...> wrote:
            > my name is bob creely and i live in northwest ohio.
            > we own a 79 georgie boy in fairly good shape and
            > really are novices to rving. we have used our camper
            > for only about a dozen local camping trips(less than
            > 50 miles) and really love it. we have lots of
            > apprehension about longer trips, but it is fading
            > slowly.
            > as i've been reading messages i see loads of people
            > slowly putting older rvs back into running order which
            > is what i am doing. my experience is that some rv
            > owners should NEVER try their own repairs.
            > the previous owner of mine included. i've been two
            > years tracing wiring on the lowvoltage side, and still
            > find reversed lines and POWERED grounds every now and
            > then.
            > luckily most have been cleared and even the add-on
            > battery charger under the hood has been eliminated,
            > the batteries now stay up with the inhouse rectifier
            > unit.
            > i'm now into appearance repairs and need information
            > on rot elimination. i'd like to talk to someone who
            > has stripped the skin and replaced wood under
            > structure. my problems are on the bottom skirts and
            > below the water storage tank area. the skin no longer
            > has anything to hang on and the previous owner used
            > lots of silicone to "glue" trim back on. i'd like to
            > do a root canal and put real wood back in. i just
            > don't want to dive in before i get an idea of just
            > what is under the skin and how to get panels off
            > without ruining them, and finding new ones if i do
            > destroy them.
            > my background is mechanical engineering and machine
            > design, so if i can assist anyone with problems in the
            > mechanical areas i am willing to try.
            > thanks for keeping the group alive.
            > bob and kim creely

            > http://mail.yahoo.com/
          • Rose Waymire
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 27 2:06 PM
              Hello again Bob, There is a post from someone on the RVAmerica BB who
              has done what you are considering on the skin removal subject. The
              post is about half way down the page and it is imformative. Thought
              you might want to check it out.

              Rose from Nebraska

              --- In classicrv@egroups.com, bob creely <bcreely@y...> wrote:
              > my name is bob creely and i live in northwest ohio.
              > we own a 79 georgie boy in fairly good shape and
              > really are novices to rving. we have used our camper
              > for only about a dozen local camping trips(less than
              > 50 miles) and really love it. we have lots of
              > apprehension about longer trips, but it is fading
              > slowly.
              > as i've been reading messages i see loads of people
              > slowly putting older rvs back into running order which
              > is what i am doing. my experience is that some rv
              > owners should NEVER try their own repairs.
              > the previous owner of mine included. i've been two
              > years tracing wiring on the lowvoltage side, and still
              > find reversed lines and POWERED grounds every now and
              > then.
              > luckily most have been cleared and even the add-on
              > battery charger under the hood has been eliminated,
              > the batteries now stay up with the inhouse rectifier
              > unit.
              > i'm now into appearance repairs and need information
              > on rot elimination. i'd like to talk to someone who
              > has stripped the skin and replaced wood under
              > structure. my problems are on the bottom skirts and
              > below the water storage tank area. the skin no longer
              > has anything to hang on and the previous owner used
              > lots of silicone to "glue" trim back on. i'd like to
              > do a root canal and put real wood back in. i just
              > don't want to dive in before i get an idea of just
              > what is under the skin and how to get panels off
              > without ruining them, and finding new ones if i do
              > destroy them.
              > my background is mechanical engineering and machine
              > design, so if i can assist anyone with problems in the
              > mechanical areas i am willing to try.
              > thanks for keeping the group alive.
              > bob and kim creely

              > http://mail.yahoo.com/
            • Chris Swan
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 27 7:21 PM
                Hi Bob, welcome aboard!
                I don't travel too far from home either. Just about ten miles. Each
                time we take the rig out we learn more and get a bit braver!
                Have you checked the Vintage Vacations website? It's in the links. He
                shows how he replaced a front pannel on an older TT. Might give you
                an idea of what you're getting in to. I replaced part of the floor in
                a 1960 vintage trailer...not a lot of fun.
                Good luck!
                -Chris Swan

                --- In classicrv@egroups.com, bob creely <bcreely@y...> wrote:
                > my name is bob creely and i live in northwest ohio.
                > we own a 79 georgie boy in fairly good shape and
                > really are novices to rving. we have used our camper
                > for only about a dozen local camping trips(less than
                > 50 miles) and really love it. we have lots of
                > apprehension about longer trips, but it is fading
                > slowly.
                > as i've been reading messages i see loads of people
                > slowly putting older rvs back into running order which
                > is what i am doing. my experience is that some rv
                > owners should NEVER try their own repairs.
                > the previous owner of mine included. i've been two
                > years tracing wiring on the lowvoltage side, and still
                > find reversed lines and POWERED grounds every now and
                > then.
                > luckily most have been cleared and even the add-on
                > battery charger under the hood has been eliminated,
                > the batteries now stay up with the inhouse rectifier
                > unit.
                > i'm now into appearance repairs and need information
                > on rot elimination. i'd like to talk to someone who
                > has stripped the skin and replaced wood under
                > structure. my problems are on the bottom skirts and
                > below the water storage tank area. the skin no longer
                > has anything to hang on and the previous owner used
                > lots of silicone to "glue" trim back on. i'd like to
                > do a root canal and put real wood back in. i just
                > don't want to dive in before i get an idea of just
                > what is under the skin and how to get panels off
                > without ruining them, and finding new ones if i do
                > destroy them.
                > my background is mechanical engineering and machine
                > design, so if i can assist anyone with problems in the
                > mechanical areas i am willing to try.
                > thanks for keeping the group alive.
                > bob and kim creely

                > http://mail.yahoo.com/
              • Harold and Gisela
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 21, 2001
                  I have a 72 Cortez 21'4" class a type motor home. It is equiped with a 455 Olds Toronado. They are one of the best handling motor homes ever due to their front wheel drive and low roof height.Exterior heighth without pod is 8'. I live in Wash State and have been RVing for a number of years. Harold

                • Delbert Tompkins
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 13 11:02 AM
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 26, 2003
                      Hi Charles there are lots of rims that will fit your unit all 16"
                      just call almost any Big Rig truck tire dealer and they can help you. Stay away from 16.5" rims the tires are not very popular any more and expensive. Dan
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 4, 2003
                        Hello my name is Jimbob and I just signed up as a new member of classic rv. I live at Alderville First Nation south eastern Ontario Canada on the south shore of Rice Lake.
                        I own a 1973 26' Concord MotorHome, she has been running great for the past 7 years but needs some replacement parts this year.
                        Questions I would like to post, is there a wrecker yard for motor homes, I need a new fuse holder and replacement window sliders and frame.
                        Thank You
                        JB

                      • Duane
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 4, 2003
                          Welcome Jimbob and Jane
                          As a start go to the Links or Database sections right here on this
                          forum. They are on the left side of your screen.

                          Welcome - Dad
                          co-moderator

                          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "jimbob and jane" <jimbobjane@s...>
                          wrote:
                          > Hello my name is Jimbob and I just signed up as a new member of
                          classic rv. I live at Alderville First Nation south eastern Ontario
                          Canada on the south shore of Rice Lake.
                          > I own a 1973 26' Concord MotorHome, she has been running great for
                          the past 7 years but needs some replacement parts this year.
                          > Questions I would like to post, is there a wrecker yard for motor
                          homes, I need a new fuse holder and replacement window sliders and
                          frame.
                          > Thank You
                          > JB

                        • nantra9
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 13, 2003
                            Just to let you know that I just found this forum. I got an 87
                            Bounder 34' last year. It was in good shape. My wife and I changed
                            the shades inside because we didn't care for them and they were
                            pretty worn. We went to Wal-Mart and picked up some mini blinds and
                            fit them to the windows. Took a trip to Texas in November and Jan. It
                            was a blast. I am getting ready to Take it out this weekend to the
                            Drag Races in Englishtown. Memorial Day taking son and daughter in
                            law to Lancaster County for the weekend. Just to let you know.
                          • rwoods9230@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 22, 2004
                              Hi I just joined, I have a 1989 Yukon Wilderness fifth wheel, towed
                              it with a 1988 S10 until last year when I bought a new 2002 GMC
                              Sierra. Photo in photo section. Bob Woods
                            • Mary Ray
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 5, 2005
                                I am the proud owner of a 1973 Discoverer Motorhome, she is about 22
                                ft bumper to bumper and in pretty good shape for an old girl (just
                                like me) I also have a 2000 keystone cabana travel trailer and a 2001
                                chevy silverado 2500 HD to pull it with. I live in Memphis, TN and am
                                semi-retired (work about 30 hours a week). Looking forward to
                                chatting about classic rv's.
                              • John Morrow
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 25, 2005
                                  Glad to find a site where I don't have to hear about the problems they are having with their 2005 DP HDTV satelite receiver not working.LOL

                                • buzz549
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 25, 2007
                                    hello all. I just joined. I'm t he proud owner of an '84 Country Coach.
                                    I sold my land and bought a supposedly turnkey unit. 3800 dollors and
                                    three years later, I'm still trying to get on the road. I'll be
                                    fulltiming all across this great land of ours, mostly boondocking. All
                                    I have left is the solar installation. I'm no expert on rv's but will
                                    help in any way I can. buzz
                                  • westonsign
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 25, 2007
                                      We did a search for info on our new old camper van & found this list.
                                      We just got a 1977 Dodge Family Wagon and, of course, there isn't a
                                      manual with it. We are trying to hook up the aux battery to get the 12
                                      volt stuff working & it isn't going well. Are the manuals for these
                                      available anywhere or is anyone familiar with them? Thanks!
                                    • ned.crv@edwordsmith.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 25, 2007
                                        westonsign wrote:
                                        > We did a search for info on our new old camper van & found this list.
                                        > We just got a 1977 Dodge Family Wagon and, of course, there isn't a
                                        > manual with it. We are trying to hook up the aux battery to get the 12
                                        > volt stuff working & it isn't going well. Are the manuals for these
                                        > available anywhere or is anyone familiar with them? Thanks!

                                        Can you trace the battery cables? Describe what you see, maybe someone
                                        here will know what to troubleshoot and how to do it.

                                        I did a little poking around for a '77 Dodge Family Wagon on the web,
                                        but closest I could was a nice looking 1969 project with a bad motor,
                                        see it here:

                                        http://wildcatmopars.com/projectcar.asp?id=31&image=3

                                        If you need to buy a manual, try the expanding list at
                                        http://www.rockauto.com to dig around for the one matching your model
                                        and year. Whoa! There's a lot of Dodge vans for 1977, no idea which one
                                        is the Family Wagon. You will know which, so drill down into the 1977
                                        Dodge Vans, and look for the literature link under your van model--most
                                        or all have a link to either Bishko, Haynes, or Detroit Iron for shop
                                        manuals, and I saw at least one Owner's Manual too (for the B300 Van, I
                                        think).

                                        Bishko has a quick search thing on their website. Use it to look all
                                        1977 Dodge Owner or Shop Manuals. It looks like Bishko can sell you one
                                        or the other manual in the $20-$50 range.

                                        http://www.autobooksbishko.com

                                        Don't overlook ebay--a surpising number of old manuals and such come up
                                        for auction.

                                        Haynes produces good auto repair manuals, and offers several for 1977
                                        Dodge products. Try googling for Haynes Dodge to find the best price on
                                        one that fits your Family Wagon. Order from out-of-state to save a few
                                        bucks on sales tax, but some web stores charge it to you no matter where
                                        they are.

                                        Detroit Iron is another Dodge repair manual. I've never seen one, can't
                                        vouch for them at all.

                                        Good luck!
                                      • Scott Williams
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 10, 2007
                                          westonsign wrote:
                                          > We did a search for info on our new old camper van & found this list.
                                          > We just got a 1977 Dodge Family Wagon and, of course, there isn't a
                                          > manual with it. We are trying to hook up the aux battery to get the 12
                                          > volt stuff working & it isn't going well. Are the manuals for these
                                          > available anywhere or is anyone familiar with them? Thanks!

                                          I think that's called a Travco Family-Wagon, based on the Dodge van.
                                          First of all, a shop manual won't work for any of the camper-side
                                          systems. I recommend the "RV Repair and Maintenance Manual" by Bob
                                          Livingston (also referred to as "Trailer Life's RV Repair and
                                          Maintenance Manual".) I got the second edition on Half.com. I don't
                                          mind having an older version of a book like this, it's a 1989 edition.
                                          I figure a 1989 book will have everything I can use for my 1983 class A
                                          Shasta. The only drawback would be it won't mention any more-recent
                                          improvements the industry may have made. For example, if there's a much
                                          better modern electrical converter box (there've been a LOT of
                                          improvements in electronics since the 1980s) this book won't mention it.

                                          I did also locate a GM chassis manual on eBay, but that's not going to
                                          help with RV-related stuff, just drivetrain and chassis.

                                          Here's a 4th edition on half.com:
                                          http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ2286070

                                          3rd edition:
                                          http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ1075390

                                          2nd edition:
                                          http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ1538443QQtgZinfo

                                          I also got a copy of "The RV Handbook", by Bill Estes. It's another
                                          good one to have, you can get one for about $4.00 shipped at Half.com:
                                          http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ1400226

                                          Just putting in "RV" in the half.com search field will get you a lot of
                                          different choices, "RV electric" and "RV Electrical" will help you find
                                          some of the books focused on the 12v systems of these vehicles.

                                          Half.com standardizes paperback shipping at $3.25. Be aware that you're
                                          buying from many different sellers, just like eBay. I've never been
                                          disappointed with any book, I get most of my books from there now. Even
                                          sold one once, when I found a nice textbook being discarded at a local
                                          University. Got $20 for it, I think.

                                          Anyway, wintertime is a great time to read up on these old units,
                                          especially for folks like me, so snowed in it'll be a long time before I
                                          can get back to work on my land-yacht.

                                          Scott in Penfield NY
                                        • okiegeezer
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 29, 2008
                                            New to the RV world with a 1984 Midas Class C with Chevy drivetrain.
                                            Rather have an GOOD old rv and have money left over for gas than all
                                            the money going to pay for a new fancy thing, that might not be that
                                            good, and then not have the money for gas.
                                            Looking forward on learning more.
                                            The Geezer
                                          • deewinsworth
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 30, 2008
                                              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "okiegeezer" <jeff@...> wrote:

                                              > New to the RV world with a 1984 Midas Class C with Chevy drivetrain.
                                              > Rather have an GOOD old rv and have money left over for gas than all
                                              > the money going to pay for a new fancy thing, that might not be that
                                              > good, and then not have the money for gas.
                                              > Looking forward on learning more.
                                              > The Geezer

                                              Okie Geezer? As in Oklahoma? Welcome abord! I don't post much - a
                                              lot of the stuff here is too technicial/mechanical for me, but there
                                              is a LOT of good information to be had here. My husband hasn't
                                              figured out how I manage to find solutions for some of the problems
                                              with our old El Dorado.

                                              Are you really an Okie? I sure am!
                                            • John
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 30, 2008
                                                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "deewinsworth" <laurawinsworth@...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "okiegeezer" <jeff@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > New to the RV world with a 1984 Midas Class C with Chevy
                                                drivetrain.
                                                > > Rather have an GOOD old rv and have money left over for gas than
                                                all
                                                > > the money going to pay for a new fancy thing, that might not be
                                                that
                                                > > good, and then not have the money for gas.
                                                > > Looking forward on learning more.
                                                > > The Geezer

                                                Hi Geezer :)

                                                I am new here too... a long way from you guys though.

                                                I think I may have the only Midas 1984 in England, would be willing
                                                to be proved wrong, your the only other person I have even heard of,
                                                having one.. sure there are loads in US though..

                                                Would be interested in pics of yours :)

                                                John, London
                                              • okiegeezer
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jul 30, 2008
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "okiegeezer" <jeff@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > New to the RV world with a 1984 Midas Class C with Chevy
                                                  drivetrain.
                                                  > > Rather have an GOOD old rv and have money left over for gas than
                                                  all
                                                  Raised in the Black Jacks near Duncan.
                                                  Worked and lived in Lawton Altus and OKC area.
                                                  Living in AZ now but still an Okie.

                                                  The Geezer

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jul 31, 2008
                                                    > all
                                                    > Raised in the Black Jacks near Duncan.
                                                    > Worked and lived in Lawton Altus and OKC area.
                                                    > Living in AZ now but still an Okie.
                                                    >
                                                    > The Geezer

                                                    I was born and raised in Tulsa. Now I live near Seminole and work in
                                                    OKC. Gas prices are killing me with my long commute, but they've
                                                    started coming back down and I can breathe a little...