Refurb and trip report - 91 Gulf Stream

  • tucson_sailors
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 10:58 PM
      Been a bit tardy in updating our status. We brought the 91 GS Sun Voyager down home in October of 09, and then took it out for the first camping event back in Feb.

      Had a number of things that needed (still need in some cases) repair, but managed to cobble it together. Here's the list of replacements/fixes, and my thoughts on each.

      1. Replace 110v "Dorm Fridge" with a 3 way actual RV fridge. I had saved my 3-way from my El Dorado. ARGGH 2" too high to fit into spot. Search CL and find 3 way that will fit 120 miles away. Super insulated the reefer box area with reflectix, and it worked great for 1 week on propane. Cost about 250 for the reefer, and maybe 50 bucks for reflectix.

      2. Install paneling and fabric to cover old nasty wallpaper in bedroom. Worked out *very* well. 3m 77 adhesive to tack fabric in place, and then molding and paneling were attached to the wall using 1" brad nails. 150 in materials - fabric, molding, 4 x 8 paneling, cut to 2 x 4 sections. Also found set of curtains at local thrift shop, and replaced ratty old curtains.

      3. ATS switch bypass - the automatic transfer switch on my 6345 failed (yeah, go figure) so I had to run some romex and a 30 amp receptacle down into the electrical cord bay. No longer can simply have cutover, but rarely camp at sites with hookups. About 30 bucks for wire nuts, 10' of romex, and a 30amp outlet and plastic mounting box.

      4. Onboard furnace replaced. Hydroflame furnance *really* rusted. Replaced for safety. 125 dollars for replacement from CL.

      5. Ignitor and regulator for onboard water heater replaced. Also heavily rusted. Rig had lived in FL for some time, and there is apparent rust on exposed stuff.

      6. Aftermarket non-adjustable table replaced. Tried using the center pillar style, but way too unstable. Just using a 2' x 5' work table for now. Will do better woodwork.

      7. Repair door. Door in *horrible* shape. Had to repair existing (tear down to panels, and completely rebuilt rotten wood - added extra braces and added deadbolt) Found that the FRP panels that are used to skin doors are availabe at Lowes, the day *after* I put it back together.

      I also had to run a manual switch for the pusher fan (rig ran hot, think I have that fixed - bad radiator cap) replace one tire, and remove a captains chair pedestal that doesn't need to be there anymore.

      Spent a week camping at an SCA event in Florence AZ, and had a good time. Only thing that I didn't test at home (Washer/Dryer) worked ok on the 6.5k onboard genny, but didn't like the EU2000i external. Discovered that drain hose was *not* plumbed to drain, but having passerby ask why my rv was leaking - had discharged into area behind washer. Thankfully was warm day, and it dried up fairly quickly.

      Will be heading down to another camping event next weekend.

      Glenn and LarsEllen in Tucson
    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3 7:21 PM
        Glenn,

        Is there any room above that would allow you to cut the opening out 2"
        higher to fit your old fridge?

        Wesley

        1. Replace 110v "Dorm Fridge" with a 3 way actual RV fridge. I had saved my
        3-way from my El Dorado. ARGGH 2" too high to fit into spot. Search CL and
        find 3 way that will fit 120 miles away. Super insulated the reefer box area
        with reflectix, and it worked great for 1 week on propane. Cost about 250
        for the reefer, and maybe 50 bucks for reflectix.

        Glenn and LarsEllen in Tucson
      • Jabba Truck
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3 11:33 PM
          ...or 2" lower?

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4 1:20 AM
            The original plans seem to show a cabinet that would have been underneath the original refrigerator. At some point in the past, a previous owner had a washer/dryer put in, and that is why the odd space. The roof is pretty close at the top of the existing hole, and I worried about either causing a leak, or not being able to open the door.

            Worked out in the end, have a slightly older dometic, rather than the auto-3 way that I had, I have to pick and use the piezo electric starter. Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

            I took the rig out today, for a test run and a dump of the tanks, and that pesky overheating/run hot is still happening. When I pulled off the doghouse, and air cleaner, found a 195 thermostat resting loose on the top of the block! Suspect somebody just removed the thermostat to try and bodge out overheating issues before. Got a 180 thermostat that I'll put in, since running without one is not generally recommended, as the water doesn't have a chance to warm/cool in the radiator, which could be why I'm seeing 210 to 230 temps as there is not way to get the "heat soak" taken care of.Found a *lot* of reference for Ford 460 and MH overheating. The thermostats are a possible issue, so hoping its the $10.00 fix, rather than bad radiator, head gasket leaks, bad fan clutch, or water pump failures!

            Glenn

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Jabba Truck <jabbathetruck@...> wrote:

            > ...or 2" lower?
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Jon
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4 3:05 AM
              Had an 89 FI 460 E350 with an apparent over-heating problem according to the dash gauge. The radiator needed replacement in my opinion because of age. Put in new radiator, hi-flow water pump, new hoses, new belts, 7 blade flex fan (no fan clutch), and thermostat. All parts combined were about $500. With the radiator removed, the remainder of the parts were easily accessed.

              Same over-temp; turned out to be the dash gauge. Put in a new digital gauge and sender and the water temperature rarely moved above 195 degrees even with the AC on. The 195 thermostat is the correct one for fuel injected 460 engines.

              Gave the rig to my daughter three years later and after seven years and 80,000 miles; still no overheating issues. Turned out to be a good preventative maintenance move.

              Jon

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4 10:42 PM
                The dash gauge is an after market VDO gauge - different from all the other Oshkosh/GS set, not sure if its electric or tube.Thinking its accurate based on the amount of heat the engine was putting out, when I had the doghouse off watching for fluid leaks. Would be nice for it to be that simple. I put the 180 in today, and the rig is still running 210 under load at 55mph on flat level. Got one spike to 220 on a incline, but it did come back down to 210 after about 5 minutes on flat level again. Noticed that I *don't* see an external cooler in the transmission lines, so thinking heat soak from the tranny is contributing, as I'm not hearing any hissing to indicate a leak in the cooling system, fluid is a nice green color, and I'm not losing any anymore. Also - oil pressure good, fluid levels for C6 were good when checked.

                Cools down to 190 at idle if left long enough - the 2 stage fan clutch comes on at about 210 and if there isn't a load (idle, parked) comes back down. So suspect that a major fluid change and filter in the C6 might be in order. Think I'll just baby it for this weekend (short trip, 140 miles RT) and rebuilt it with a completely separate cooling circuit for the tranny.

                Glenn