Re: Question about a Dodge 440 rear main SEAL

  • Tom Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24, 2010
      The service manual has a couple of paragraphs about replacing the rear main
      seal on page 9-51. If you don't have a copy of the service manual and/or
      parts manual, I can email them to you. (177k and 74k respectively)

      Briefly, you need to remove the pan, the seal retainer and the rear bearing
      cap. The service manual specifies a special tool like a corkscrew to grab
      the end of the upper half of the old seal and pull it out while turning the
      crankshaft. After cleaning the area and oiling the new seal, hold the new
      seal tightly against the crankshaft, paint stripe to the rear, to avoid
      shaving or cutting the new seal on the sharp edge of the block and slide it
      in. Rotate the crankshaft again if necessary. Similarly, remove and
      replace the lower half of the seal and retighten the rear bearing cap to 85
      foot pounds. Don't use sealer or cement on the seal ends or lip.

      I think I'll need to do the same thing on my 1973 Starcraft Starcruiser with
      a 440-3 and would be very interested in the outcome of your efforts.

    • Matthew Hudson
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24, 2010
        Hi Tom. I would love the files. I'll let everyone know after I do the
        job what it entailed.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25, 2010
          The service manual for the M-300, M-375, RM-300, RM-350, and RM-400 chassis
          is 177,489 KB on my hard drive.

          The parts manual for the above plus few others in the range of 1969 to 1976
          is 74,050 KB.

          Comcast won't even try to send an email with the files attached and, after
          several tries, the ClassicRV file section refused to accept the service
          manual probably because they are too big. My personal web site on Comcast
          doesn't like files larger than 8 MB either. Unless someone has another
          suggestion, it looks like the best way to get these files is to go to the
          Vintage Winnebago site at:

          http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;cat=42.

          You need to register and, as I recall, they ask for a small donation.

          Tom

        • JerryK
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 25, 2010
            I have run in to the file download limit on other groups.  User file downloads are limted by Yahoo to 5120K.  You can try Googling "large file transfer online" and that will give you some ideas on how to transfer large files online.
            I, personally, would be interested in your M-375 manual.
            JerryK

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 25, 2010
              UPDATE:

              I just uploaded the manuals to RapidShare where you can download them for
              free.

              The service manual for the M-300, M-375, RM-300, RM-350, and RM-400 chassis
              is 177,489 KB on my hard drive.

              http://rapidshare.com/files/368092862/Dodge_Motorhome_Chassis_Service_Manual
              .pdf

              The parts manual for the above plus few others in the range of 1969 to 1976
              is 74,050 KB.

              http://rapidshare.com/files/368098089/Dodge_Motorhome_Chassis_Parts_Catalog.
              pdf

              Tom

            • Matthew Hudson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 25, 2010
                Tom, those manuals were OUTSTANDING! Oh my goodness! It tells me
                everything about that monster in the driveway! The fuel tanks are
                different, but only because mine has the 32 gallon and the 75 gallon
                center tank. Thank you thank you thank you.