Re: 1974 sportscoach. Need escape hatch lid replacement

  • PennyT
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "horse5950" <beccaben@...> wrote:
      > Hi, I recently purchased a 1974 Sportscoach motorhome. In the bathroom ceiling I have what appears to be a 26"X26" escape hatch. The plastic lid is shot and needs to be replaced. No where on the unit is it listed the brand name, which is making it impossible to order a replacement lid. but since I must order a replacement on line I need to know which I have. Thank You.

      On a coach of that vintage, you need to take the whole thing off the roof and redo it with new butyl putty anyway. Once you have it off, you can see if it has a brand name, or what will fit. The hinge configuration is the key. The frame, and/or surrounding area might be shot, so you might have to buy a whole new one, best to find out now, not later.
      There are lots of online places to order, or even eBay. You can also send a picture of the old one with the order. You are having to cover it with plastic, now, so you can do that again while you wait for the new one.
      Happy Trails, Penny, TX
    • horse5950
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
        Thank you for the reply, I had to replace 2 of the original 14" Jensen vents. I had hoped just to replace the plasic lid, but quickly learned the whole assemblies needed to be repaclaced as the plastic just crumbled. The escape vent is constructed much better than the smaller vents, as its constructed with aluminum and steel,other than the plastic lid (I spent many hours resealing the roof after replacing the other vents, so will only tear into it again as a last resort). Winter has set in here in the midwest, and with no inside warm area to work, replacing the entire assembly is not possible. The family and I were hoping to go camping a couple of times this winter, so it may just remain covered with plastic until spring. The idea of taking pictures may work, I'll try to do that this week if I can find the time. This is one thing I'm learning quickly, is the amount of time owning a motorhome will take. I actually contiplated selling it due to this, and the amount of money it will take to keep going, but my wife and kids convinced me to keep it. Thanks again.
        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "PennyT" <rsvpta@...> wrote:

        > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "horse5950" <beccaben@> wrote:
        > > Hi, I recently purchased a 1974 Sportscoach motorhome. In the bathroom ceiling I have what appears to be a 26"X26" escape hatch. The plastic lid is shot and needs to be replaced. No where on the unit is it listed the brand name, which is making it impossible to order a replacement lid. but since I must order a replacement on line I need to know which I have. Thank You.
        >
        > On a coach of that vintage, you need to take the whole thing off the roof and redo it with new butyl putty anyway. Once you have it off, you can see if it has a brand name, or what will fit. The hinge configuration is the key. The frame, and/or surrounding area might be shot, so you might have to buy a whole new one, best to find out now, not later.
        > There are lots of online places to order, or even eBay. You can also send a picture of the old one with the order. You are having to cover it with plastic, now, so you can do that again while you wait for the new one.
        > Happy Trails, Penny, TX

      • Billy Mason
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
          if you can take measurements on it it may find one in a salvage yard..
          there are several RV salvage places on the www.. you never know they may
          have something in the size you need, also local junk yards may have some
          older rv's they havent scraped yet...
          > Thank you for the reply, I had to replace 2 of the original 14" Jensen
          > vents. I had hoped just to replace the plasic lid, but quickly learned the
          > whole assemblies needed to be repaclaced as the plastic just crumbled. The
          > escape vent is constructed much better than the smaller vents, as its
          > constructed with aluminum and steel,other than the plastic lid (I spent
          > many hours resealing the roof after replacing the other vents, so will
          > only tear into it again as a last resort). Winter has set in here in the
          > midwest, and with no inside warm area to work, replacing the entire
          > assembly is not possible. The family and I were hoping to go camping a
          > couple of times this winter, so it may just remain covered with plastic
          > until spring. The idea of taking pictures may work, I'll try to do that
          > this week if I can find the time. This is one thing I'm learning quickly,
          > is the amount of time owning a motorhome will take. I actually contiplated
          > selling it due to this, and the amount of money it will take to keep
          > going, but my wife and kids convinced me to keep it. Thanks again.
          > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "PennyT" <rsvpta@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "horse5950" <beccaben@> wrote:
          >> > Hi, I recently purchased a 1974 Sportscoach motorhome. In the bathroom
          >> > ceiling I have what appears to be a 26"X26" escape hatch. The plastic
          >> > lid is shot and needs to be replaced. No where on the unit is it listed
          >> > the brand name, which is making it impossible to order a replacement
          >> > lid. but since I must order a replacement on line I need to know which
          >> > I have. Thank You.
          >>
          >> On a coach of that vintage, you need to take the whole thing off the roof
          >> and redo it with new butyl putty anyway. Once you have it off, you can
          >> see if it has a brand name, or what will fit. The hinge configuration is
          >> the key. The frame, and/or surrounding area might be shot, so you might
          >> have to buy a whole new one, best to find out now, not later.
          >> There are lots of online places to order, or even eBay. You can also send
          >> a picture of the old one with the order. You are having to cover it with
          >> plastic, now, so you can do that again while you wait for the new one.
          >> Happy Trails, Penny, TX

        • K Gibbs
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
            I've got a '73 and have seen replacement covers on ebay in the past, so at least we know they're out there. You might try search on ebay for "escape hatch cover" in the rv parts category and then write to the sellers to see if they have your specific size. Good luck and happy holidays.

          • horse5950
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
              Thank you for the replies. I found in the back of the Sportscoach owners manual that its called "Super exit dome, model W-26B". At least this confirms to me that I need a 26" cover. I took pictures and did show it to a RV supplier, but it was not enough to confirm what brand it is. It's possible the lids for the brands are the same (Elixer or Jensen), but use different mountings. All the other vents in the RV are Jensen, so I may take a chance and order the Jensen and hope the old hardware can be attached (Price with shipping almost $100, just for the replacement lid!). I have many other questions regarding the old beast, but will eventually start new posts.

              K Gibbs, if you have easy access to your Sportscoach, could you see if you still have the information tag on the inside of your Exit Vent? I can see where the tag on mine used to be.

              Thank you again
              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "K Gibbs" <vze33jqj@...> wrote:

              > I've got a '73 and have seen replacement covers on ebay in the past, so at least we know they're out there. You might try search on ebay for "escape hatch cover" in the rv parts category and then write to the sellers to see if they have your specific size. Good luck and happy holidays.

            • Mike VanPelt
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
                Try http://www.colawrvsalvage.com/ - I've actually taken a walk through
                their yard and there are a LOT of RV's there being disassembled. Let them
                know what you have and if they don't have it I'd bet they could point you in
                the right direction.

                Mike

                "There are two ways you can live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle;
                you can live as if everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

                Cindy & Mike VanPelt

                - Libby & Darcy

                Milwaukee, WI, USA

                1997 Itasca Spirit 21RK Class C

                - 21', Ford E350, 460V8

                2005 Lund Explorer

                - 16', Mercury 60

                mvp1114@...

              • Ron Mitchell
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
                  Look in the Files section of this group. I dropped a document there a
                  few years ago. RV Sources, I think it was called. It has a bunch of
                  salvage yards and other places that have specialties. I seem to
                  remember one did glass and windows, maybe they might have hatches, too.

                  Ron
                  76 Coachmen