having something done and flying

  • BOB ROSS
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
      The "having something done" is to get the van to work AS IT SHOULD. Since I have owned it it has gotten terrible mileage. --Last weekend it went thru 3/4 of a tank for 81 miles-- There obviously is a problem.. I am fighting to get the best fuel mileage possible so that we can enjoy the trip and at the same time afford to do so.

      I have mechanic'd all of my life and absolutely detest admitting that I cannot figure it out. But I cant. So, I have sent it to trusted people familiar with Fords hoping for the best.

      As to flying.. I am, unfortunately, one of the Poorer people in this world. I cannot afford to fly. We have approximately 2 weeks we will get to spend in Fla with our new grandbaby, friends and relatives and have a very tight budget. Additionally there are side trips on the way home into Georgia for relatives. The cost of flying for two would cost as much as the plan for the whole 2 weeks, and leave us having to use rental cars, restaraunts, motels etc.. All on money that we really dont have to spend.

      In anticipation of this trip, I considered using the wifes 30 mpg car as opposed to the motorhome. Using the motorhome, even with its lack of fuel mileage, cut the cost of our two weeks almost in half. The advantage being that there were no motels involved, and restaraunts were cut out with a few exceptions. The Motorhome did require a couple of stays at campgrounds. (if not able to boondock) And I have just gotten a card which supposidly cuts the campground cost in half.. However it is untried.

      Overall, with this tight a budget, a couple of hundred dollars in fuel mileage saved is well worth the trouble.. The big thing now is where I can save it.. I want to give the van the best possible shot which is the reason to have it repaired. At the same time I am afraid that the Jeep, with its proven 13 mpg may be my only real answer.

      Of course, there is my "new" to us Ford F250 DIESEL tow truck, sitting in the driveway.. but it has some unanswered problems and is Too new to us to trust for the trip.. But that would only confuse the issues...LOL I am thinking that it will be the long range answer to my towing and mileage issues, but sadly not this time.

      So to answer your question about flying.. Sadly, it is not in the budget..
      Bob

    • JerryK
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
        I agree with you Bob, the Diesel F-250 is probablly your best change to maximize your fuel economy.  Too bad it can't be ready in time.  Be safe, have a good time and enjoy the trip, may you have tailwinds going and returning.
        JerryK

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
          Hello.... Thinking about the 3/4 of a tank @ 81 miles...(OUCH OUCH) Fast n dirty... IF IT WERE ME....Disconnect the fuel/gas line before the engine fuel pump and block it off temporarily, replace the carb with a working unit from a junk yard, used or get a new one, then finally get a 5 gallon outboard gas can and feed the carb via gravity (above the engine, resting on the doghouse) or use an outside electric fuel pump. Some models can be had from Murrays for $29.95. That would cut thru all the BS fast...and maybe give you a real insight as the true gas mileage.
          PS: My excessive gas loss problem was from a accelerator diaphram pump the had aged and had a few pinholes and cracks in it. Got a rebuild kit, swapped the gasket out and the leak was gone. As it was under the carb, the heat from the engine made the gas vaporize lmost instantly and you couldnt see it...my $.02 worth HTH Bill

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

          > I agree with you Bob, the Diesel F-250 is probablly your best change to maximize your fuel economy.  Too bad it can't be ready in time.  Be safe, have a good time and enjoy the trip, may you have tailwinds going and returning.
          > JerryK
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Warren
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
            I agree. OUCH.

            Most engines can't burn that much fuel without flooding out and stalling.
            You got to have a leak somewhere. I had a 90 Plymouth voyager that blew
            through half a tank in 15 minutes once. It was a rubber fuel line with a
            sponge like leak. I had a stream of fuel on the road behind me the whole
            way. It only leaked when the in fuel tank fuel pump was on. Turn the engine
            off and climb under and all was dry except the puddle under the minivan. I
            had to turn the engine on and craw under to find the leak. I replaced all
            the rubber lines after that.

            I would not recommend having any fuel container inside the passenger area of
            any vehicle while in motion. Very dangerous. One accident and you have a
            fire ball...in your lap. And for that reason it is ilegal to have fuel in s
            container inside your vehicle be it in the passenger area or truck of your
            car.

            Another problem with a gravity fuel system. Some, not all, engines require
            more fuel pressure to run than gravity will provide. I have no idea which
            ones need more fuel pressure I just know there are some out there so the
            gravity idea may not work...but worth a try anyway.

            1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

            On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 8:43 PM, badwillybiker <badwillybiker@...>wrote:

            > Hello.... Thinking about the 3/4 of a tank @ 81 miles...(OUCH OUCH) Fast n
            > dirty......snip...

          • Don Bahrman
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
              also smell the oil dip stick have  had  fuel pumps leak, which is very dangerous, if it get in the oil, I had to pull the oil pan off and let it all air out before changing oil,  gas fume and a hot engine don't mix.

            • SkipC
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2009
                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Don Bahrman <dandb4@...> wrote:

                > also smell the oil dip stick have  had  fuel pumps leak, which is very dangerous, if it get in the oil, I had to pull the oil pan off and let it all air out before changing oil,  gas fume and a hot engine don't mix.

                Don

                That is what the little hole is in the FP casting is for. In case of a leak it is suppose to run out of the hole. I have seen people plug the hole, WRONG thing to do.

                TT