Running issue- UPDATE

  • BOB ROSS
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2009
      OK,
      Our motorhome has been running decently of late. We are however getting a very strong fuel smell.. I am now suspecting a hole/split in a rubber hose or a pinhole somewhere in the fuel system..
      We did however managed to do our road fuel mileage test and found that we were getting about 7.5 mpg.. (32 mile test)

      When thinking about the trip to fla and back that 7.5 mpg turns into about $700 in just fuel alone..
      So, we are now planning on taking alternative vehicles- Our 19 foot travel trailer with..our ??.. towing it..

      Meanwhile, the motorhome is just sitting awaiting my going over and replacing all of the rubber fuel lines, additional fuel filters etc.. Maybe even the steel lines..

      The grand baby is due any time now and I just do not want to spend the time on the m/h. It is better spent on one of my tow vehicles..

      I have my trusty Ford Van in the shop awaiting fuel mileage improvements and over all driving changes. The other is my Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder.. It has made this trip before and while the most comfortable of vehicles it does have the automatic tranmission. I tried it (as the factory recommends) out of overdrive and only got 8 mpg (towing).

      Using overdrive I averaged 13 mpg on the last trip down and back and a max speed of 55mph (on cruise).. I know that this is putting a lot of strain on the tranmission, but with my added trans cooler hoping that maybe it is not tooo much.. (This is a backup plan-- hoping the van problem will work out..) .. V-8 with the C-6 3/4 ton van.. Strong enough but can it get thrifty enough???

      I do thank all for the information.. (yes I do think that the fuel leakage/air leakage could change my mileage but it probably would not be enough to make it worth while at the moment.)
      My thanks,
      antiqbob

      By the way, if you see a 19 foot TEC ttrailer broken down on the side of the road anywhere between Va and Fla.. feel free to stop and offer aid or just talk while I crawl around on the tow vehicle..LOL
      Bob

    • Ted Kroll
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2009
        I don't understand the thought of having something done, at an expense, just
        to save one or two hundred in gas costs, if that's even possible! Why do U
        even have a motorhome, just fly!