hydrogen conversion kits on RV's

  • Green_Building
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
      My friend say the hydrogen conversion kits on RV's can increase mileage by
      25-50%--

      Anyone have any comments about these conversion kits that uses hydrogen and
      water to change air intake.

      Rod
    • Warren
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
        I have no personal experience with one of those.

        But from what I do know.....
        Hydrogen takes a lot of energy to get it out of water. This energy has to
        come from the alternator and is a very slow process. Produces very little
        usable hydrogen at a rate fast enough to do any good in an engine.

        If it really worked and did not have any serious long term problems like
        possibly shortening the life of the engine or something like that, the auto
        industry would have them on cars already. This hydrogen technology is not
        new. I think they started playing with it back in the 60s or something like
        that.

        With the government demanding longer life of the engine and better fuel
        economy, If it did work the automobile industry would leap on it fast.
        Especially if it trully added 50% to the fuel economy for only $400 bucks or
        so for the system.

        I suspect it is a scam until I see study results from an independent lab.

        lets see here. 10 mpg + 50% that would bring me up to 15 mpg. Not enough
        to be worth the cost especially since it probably won't even deliver the 25%
        mark.

        Now if I could jump from 40 mpg to 60 mpg. That might make it worth while.

        1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

        On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Green_Building <green_building@...
        > wrote:

        > My friend say the hydrogen conversion kits on RV's can increase mileage by
        > 25-50%--
        >
        > Anyone have any comments about these conversion kits that uses hydrogen and
        > water to change air intake.
        >
        > Rod

      • Ted Kroll
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
          YA THINK?
          I have no personal experience with one of those.

          But from what I do know.....
          Hydrogen takes a lot of energy to get it out of water. This energy has to
          come from the alternator and is a very slow process. Produces very little
          usable hydrogen at a rate fast enough to do any good in an engine.

          If it really worked and did not have any serious long term problems like
          possibly shortening the life of the engine or something like that, the
          auto
          industry would have them on cars already. This hydrogen technology is not
          new. I think they started playing with it back in the 60s or something
          like
          that.

          With the government demanding longer life of the engine and better fuel
          economy, If it did work the automobile industry would leap on it fast.
          Especially if it trully added 50% to the fuel economy for only $400 bucks
          or
          so for the system.

          I suspect it is a scam until I see study results from an independent lab.

          lets see here. 10 mpg + 50% that would bring me up to 15 mpg. Not enough
          to be worth the cost especially since it probably won't even deliver the
          25%
          mark.

          Now if I could jump from 40 mpg to 60 mpg. That might make it worth while.

          1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

          On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Green_Building
          <green_building@...
          > wrote:

          > My friend say the hydrogen conversion kits on RV's can increase mileage
          by
          > 25-50%--
          >
          > Anyone have any comments about these conversion kits that uses hydrogen
          and
          > water to change air intake.
          >
          > Rod

        • Green_Building
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
            Good points Warren--

            I wonder what Nicholaus Telsa would have created if he were still
            alive---where are the maverick inventors of this century?

            Rod

            >I have no personal experience with one of those.
            >
            > But from what I do know.....
            > Hydrogen takes a lot of energy to get it out of water. This energy has to
            > come from the alternator and is a very slow process. Produces very little
            > usable hydrogen at a rate fast enough to do any good in an engine.
            >
            > If it really worked and did not have any serious long term problems like
            > possibly shortening the life of the engine or something like that, the
            > auto
            > industry would have them on cars already. This hydrogen technology is not
            > new. I think they started playing with it back in the 60s or something
            > like
            > that.
            >
            > With the government demanding longer life of the engine and better fuel
            > economy, If it did work the automobile industry would leap on it fast.
            > Especially if it trully added 50% to the fuel economy for only $400 bucks
            > or
            > so for the system.
            >
            > I suspect it is a scam until I see study results from an independent lab.
            >
            > lets see here. 10 mpg + 50% that would bring me up to 15 mpg. Not enough
            > to be worth the cost especially since it probably won't even deliver the
            > 25%
            > mark.
            >
            > Now if I could jump from 40 mpg to 60 mpg. That might make it worth while.
            >
            > --
            > Warren
            > 1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
            > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
            > Western KY
            >

            > On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Green_Building
            > <green_building@...
            >> wrote:
            >

            >> My friend say the hydrogen conversion kits on RV's can increase mileage
            >> by
            >> 25-50%--
            >>
            >> Anyone have any comments about these conversion kits that uses hydrogen
            >> and
            >> water to change air intake.
            >>
            >> Rod

          • Ted Kroll
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
              I haven't had any experience either like, Warren, BUT, I want to try it and
              see b4 I say it don't work. The last time I checked into it the kits were
              about $100, mostly info though and not too many parts. I just bought an
              older Tiffin to try it on!

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
                Now that is an interesting what if that really stirs the imagination.

                As as for where they are....That is a political argument and I'm not getting
                into it here.

                1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Green_Building <green_building@...
                > wrote:

                > Good points Warren--
                >
                > I wonder what Nicholaus Telsa would have created if he were still
                > alive---where are the maverick inventors of this century?
                >
                > Rod

              • Lynnie Whitefield
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
                  Warren said:
                  "lets see here. 10 mpg + 50% that would bring me up to 15 mpg. Not enough
                  to be worth the cost especially since it probably won't even deliver the 25%
                  mark."

                  If I could increase the mileage on our rig 50% (from 7mpg to 10 or 11) I think it would be a good $400
                  investment but I agree that all methods I have seen produce too little hydrogen to be of any real value.

                  Lynnie

                  I have no personal experience with one of those.

                  But from what I do know.....
                  Hydrogen takes a lot of energy to get it out of water. This energy has to
                  come from the alternator and is a very slow process. Produces very little
                  usable hydrogen at a rate fast enough to do any good in an engine.

                  If it really worked and did not have any serious long term problems like
                  possibly shortening the life of the engine or something like that, the auto
                  industry would have them on cars already. This hydrogen technology is not
                  new. I think they started playing with it back in the 60s or something like
                  that.

                  With the government demanding longer life of the engine and better fuel
                  economy, If it did work the automobile industry would leap on it fast.
                  Especially if it trully added 50% to the fuel economy for only $400 bucks or
                  so for the system.

                  I suspect it is a scam until I see study results from an independent lab.

                  lets see here. 10 mpg + 50% that would bring me up to 15 mpg. Not enough
                  to be worth the cost especially since it probably won't even deliver the 25%
                  mark.

                  Now if I could jump from 40 mpg to 60 mpg. That might make it worth while.

                  1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                  On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Green_Building <green_building@...
                  > wrote:

                  > My friend say the hydrogen conversion kits on RV's can increase mileage by
                  > 25-50%--
                  >
                  > Anyone have any comments about these conversion kits that uses hydrogen and
                  > water to change air intake.
                  >
                  > Rod

                • JerryK
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
                    Here's a YouTube video on the subject.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3MIhc9OGCQ
                    JerryK

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
                      Hi Jerry--

                      Thanks for sharing the U-Tube video URL--this is a better hydrogen kit
                      system than many of the other early hybrids--the T valve with the vacuum air
                      filter box is a good design adding better efficiency. There are many
                      systems out there and some are much better in the R&D design. I think most
                      will agree that newer technology adds much better design and energy
                      efficiendy. Remknds me of early solar power with poor eeficiencry and then
                      the new era of micro film technology that adds a new generation of R&D
                      degsign.

                      I like to see if Ted Kroll uses this system in his experiments.

                      Rodger

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
                        Hi All,
                           Regarding the hydrogen question:  So far it looks like there are a lot of people on the RV blogs who are wondering whether it might work. They seem to be waiting for someone to try it and see.
                        Some worry that if they even discuss the subject they run the risk of being labeled a kook by all the very learned folks on these blogs. Oh yes, there seem to be many of them lurking about.  My response here is that if you are so sure it won't work then maybe you should try running for city council.  Your chances of being correct are probably a good deal higher.
                           Putting a logical face to the subject then, I have to ask the question:
                        Is there any amount of hydrogen/oxygen that could be injected or sucked into a standard
                        piston engine to make a significant benefit to the normal gas/diesel fuel economy?
                        Please note: I am not talking about replacing the gas/diesel. Just adding to it.
                        If the answer to this is "yes" then, the next question is :  "Well then, how much is needed"?
                        Too many times I have read articles and seen documentaries that are focused on completely replacing the gasoline or diesel with the hydrogen.  This is what the "Stoops" on Myth Busters were trying to do. I know that if this is your quest and you hope to generate enough fuel on board while you consume it then you are going to have a very hard time doing it.
                            If on the other hand you have the answer to the second question then you might have some success. I have read and seen several documentaries which state that the amount of hydrogen/oxygen needed to help the regular fuel burn better (better mileage numbers) is surprisingly small. Think of the hydroxy as a catalyst rather than the fuel itself. Kinda like throwing lighter fluid on a campfire. It takes very little lighter fluid to make the wood really burn fast.
                           In my opinion this idea is what really needs to be proven first.  Then if the result is positive it is time to see how hard it is to generate just what is really needed and no more.  This may in fact be a lot easier than you can imagine.
                           There are quit a few folks that say it works and I certainly am not going to be fool enough to say that it doesn't without first trying it.
                        Al

                        On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Green_Building <green_building@ sbcglobal. net

                        > wrote:

                        > Good points Warren--

                        > I wonder what Nicholaus Telsa would have created if he were still

                        > alive---where are the maverick inventors of this century?

                        > Rod

                      • Green_Building
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
                          Hi Ted--

                          Many there is legitimacy to basing 60's technology into todays 2010
                          technology...my dad was a meteorologist in D-day and he claimed that the
                          sciences of propulsion in that era would never be able to lauch a
                          succsessful space expedition into a moon landing. Technology is always
                          changing--just like the tunes of the naysayers ; )

                          What fascinates me is that many beleive the auto makers are always looking
                          to expand into alternative technology and transition away from oil and
                          combustion engines. And some think the government, trilateral commision and
                          world monetary back are looking out for the interests of consumers and
                          cleaner energy technologies.

                          Rod

                          > I have no personal experience with one of those.
                          >
                          > But from what I do know.....
                          > Hydrogen takes a lot of energy to get it out of water. This energy has to
                          > come from the alternator and is a very slow process. Produces very little
                          > usable hydrogen at a rate fast enough to do any good in an engine.
                          >
                          > If it really worked and did not have any serious long term problems like
                          > possibly shortening the life of the engine or something like that, the
                          > auto
                          > industry would have them on cars already. This hydrogen technology is not
                          > new. I think they started playing with it back in the 60s or something
                          > like
                          > that.
                          >
                          > With the government demanding longer life of the engine and better fuel
                          > economy, If it did work the automobile industry would leap on it fast.
                          > Especially if it trully added 50% to the fuel economy for only $400 bucks
                          > or
                          > so for the system.
                          >
                          > I suspect it is a scam until I see study results from an independent lab.
                          >
                          > lets see here. 10 mpg + 50% that would bring me up to 15 mpg. Not enough
                          > to be worth the cost especially since it probably won't even deliver the
                          > 25%
                          > mark.
                          >
                          > Now if I could jump from 40 mpg to 60 mpg. That might make it worth
                          > while.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Warren
                          > 1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
                          > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
                          > Western KY
                          >
                          > On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Green_Building
                          > <green_building@...
                          > > wrote:
                          >

                          > > My friend say the hydrogen conversion kits on RV's can increase mileage
                          > by
                          > > 25-50%--
                          > >
                          > > Anyone have any comments about these conversion kits that uses hydrogen
                          > and
                          > > water to change air intake.
                          > >
                          > > Rod

                        • Green_Building
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
                            Bravo Al---

                            While some want to do a witch burning at the hint of being different in
                            outside the box innovation, these are often the loud ones who are basing
                            things living in the past.

                            For me I'd rather be wrong living in optimism and positve future thinking
                            than be right and never advancing in new changes that promote new technology
                            and changes in old paradigm thinking.

                            So let the witch burners have their party--just don't go out at night as
                            they may be storming in a clan of white hoods on horses--Yikers.

                            Rod

                            Now that is an interesting what if that really stirs the
                            imagination.

                            As as for where they are....That is a political argument and I'm not getting

                            into it here.

                            1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                            On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Green_Building <green_building@ sbcglobal.
                            net

                            > wrote:

                            > Good points Warren--

                            > I wonder what Nicholaus Telsa would have created if he were still

                            > alive---where are the maverick inventors of this century?

                            > Rod

                          • Green_Building
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
                              Hi Ted--

                              Please keep me posted on your progress, findings or conclusions.
                              I'm looking for a mechanical, engineer and physicist that want to do some
                              experiments and R & D with some of the more advanced kit hydrogen
                              conversions.

                              Such types would be retired and not bound by peer review at universities but
                              interested in doing some fun
                              prototypes bridging new concepts into academic platforms. We have some seed
                              money to bring in testing equipment, materials and supplies for some
                              prototype experiments, but Im looking for the senior scientists who have the
                              Tesla-like vibe.

                              My friend and I are based in Southern CA near LA but we are open to creative
                              networking with such people who are creative, positive and employing
                              Imagineering insight.....like Einstein use to say imagination I more
                              important than knowledge.

                              Rod

                              >I haven't had any experience either like, Warren, BUT, I want to try it and
                              > see b4 I say it don't work. The last time I checked into it the kits were
                              > about $100, mostly info though and not too many parts. I just bought an
                              > older Tiffin to try it on!

                            • Alan Bergman
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 5, 2009
                                Hi again,
                                    I have in fact been wondering about this idea for a long time now. I have done quit a bit of experimenting on my work bench with some different designs. At about this time a year ago I was determined to find out once and for all if it works or not.  My motivation was of course the cost of gas back then.  Since it has dropped significantly since then my project kinda went on the back burner while I tended to other priorities.
                                I do have a cell ready to go so I have not forgot it. My rig is a 1985 Lesharo to which I have replaced the Renault engine and transmission with a 3.8L engine out of a Buick Park Avenue.  In the 12 thousand miles that I have traveled since the conversion the mileage is quit consistently running at 19 to 20 mpg.  It is this rig that I am going to try the cell on. I should be able to determine quit definitely whether it works.  Once I find out whether it works or not I will post my results on this blog as well as several blogs that I frequent.
                                If it does work and works well enough to make it worthwhile in my opinion then the spit will really fly when someone says it don't work.  If on the other hand I find out that "Nope, by golly, It don't work", I will say so.  I travel about 10k miles each year and that should be good enough proving grounds for me to operate in.  And yes, I plan on carrying a spare alternator with me for these tests.

                                From: Warren <wncol2004@gmail. com>

                                To: classicrv@yahoogrou ps.com

                                Date: Monday, October 5, 2009, 4:54 PM

                                Now that is an interesting what if that really stirs the

                                imagination.

                                As as for where they are....That is a political argument and I'm not getting

                                into it here.

                                1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                                On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Green_Building <green_building@ sbcglobal.

                                net

                                > wrote:

                                > Good points Warren--

                                > I wonder what Nicholaus Telsa would have created if he were still

                                > alive---where are the maverick inventors of this century?

                                > Rod

                              • Warren
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 6, 2009
                                  Excellent write up.

                                  I do believe our problem is we just don't have the $ to toss at unproven
                                  technology. Were not willing to to throw our hard earned money at something
                                  we have no idea if it really works or not. We have seen so many
                                  advertisements for gadgets that will improve your fuel economy that just
                                  down right don't work at all and we no longer trust anyone with a magical
                                  gadget especially if it is high priced promising spectacular fuel economy
                                  improvements. To many have been burned to many times.

                                  If we had proof from a trusted source that it works and know for sure it
                                  won't harm the engine and could get a more accurate estimate on our return
                                  we just might put the $ up and do it.
                                  But until I get proof from a trusted source, I'm gonna just let my ole gas
                                  guzzler keep guzzling.
                                  At least there I know exactly where my $ is going and how fast. Right out my
                                  exhaust pipe and very fast.

                                  1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                                  On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Alan Bergman <allesharo@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi All,
                                  > Regarding the hydrogen question: So far it looks like there are a lot
                                  > of people on the RV blogs who are wondering whether it might work. They seem
                                  > to be waiting for someone to try it and see.....snip....

                                • Warren
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 6, 2009
                                    Oooh. you lucky dog you. I would love to get in on that but I'm not a
                                    engineer or physicist and I live to far away. I Just have a good emanation
                                    and a good general understanding of internal combustion engines. And, I
                                    have been told that I do resemble Adam, one of the myth busters, in
                                    appearance. :o)
                                    1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

                                    On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Green_Building <
                                    green_building@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Ted--
                                    >
                                    > Please keep me posted on your progress, findings or conclusions.
                                    > I'm looking for a mechanical, engineer and physicist that want to do some
                                    > experiments and R & D with some of the more advanced kit hydrogen
                                    > conversions.
                                    >
                                    > Such types would be retired and not bound by peer review at universities
                                    > but
                                    > interested in doing some fun
                                    > prototypes bridging new concepts into academic platforms. We have some seed
                                    >
                                    > money to bring in testing equipment, materials and supplies for some
                                    > prototype experiments, but Im looking for the senior scientists who have
                                    > the
                                    > Tesla-like vibe.
                                    >
                                    > My friend and I are based in Southern CA near LA but we are open to
                                    > creative
                                    > networking with such people who are creative, positive and employing
                                    > Imagineering insight.....like Einstein use to say imagination I more
                                    > important than knowledge.
                                    >

                                    > Rod

                                  • Enid Metcalfe
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 13, 2009
                                      Anyone replaced the standard 1141 bulb fixtures with LED ones?  I know you can get the bulbs but they are
                                      bluish and dim, more mood light than task lighting.  I have seen a page were they took a bulb, removed the glass
                                      and retrofitted an LED panel that slipped into a standard fixture.  Also it seems that Jayco is using a completey new
                                      type of fixture in their tow trailers and pop ups.  Just wondering what is out there for our 76 Corsair.

                                      Enid
                                      bendixmotorhomes@...

                                    • Phil B
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 21, 2009
                                        I am kinda late here but here is some of the stuff I have found over the past couple of years.

                                        A Hydrogen generator produces a ratio of approximately one to three H2 to O. ie: One quart of Hydrogen to two quarts of Oxygen. For this reason it is not a stand alone fuel source but a super accelerant much like oxygen is to acetylene within a cutting torch. There are programs that refine Hydrogen and compress it so as to fill at tank but these are much more complicated. Not at all feasible for the home type H2 generator.

                                        This gas should be injected into the engine air intake before the fuel metering device. ie: Air cleaner on carburetor / plenum on fuel injected engines. This mixture will cause the engine to run very lean and may cause cylinder over heating much the same as shooting ether into a warm running engine. It will improve mileage in some engines because it is almost pure oxygen with 1/3 - H2. Since it is in the form of steam it will clean carbon deposits from engine and exhaust over time. System works best in low compression engine with coldest (heat range) spark plugs.

                                        Some newer vehicle systems will use more fuel with the H2 generator because their computer will since the engine is over heating and add more fuel to help cool it.

                                        -olehermit