insulation foam

  • kdmiller003
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
      You guys and gals have been a big help in the past. I have a new question I hope you can shed some light on. My Holiday Rambler has a large portion of the foam insulation scraped off the bottom of the holding tanks. This was sprayed on at the factory. The foam is basically white and painted black. Do you know what kind of foam this is and where to find a can or two? I don't know if I actually need it, but I'm trying to get this HR back to it original condition and this is part of the restoration. Thanks,
      Dan
      1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial
    • Jabba Truck
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
        I'm not sure what HR used, but you might want to head to your local hardware store and compare to Great Stuff (brand name) foam.
        http://greatstuff.dow.com/

        Note that there are a few different varieties.

        Jay

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 10, 2009
          Expanding spray foam. Spray it on sparingly, let it expand, spray more as
          needed, let it expand, repeat as necessary.
          Once it has hardened you can shave off the excess with a sharp knife and
          paint.
          Wish some of the repairs I did were that simple.
          1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

          On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 5:06 PM, kdmiller003 <dmiller_nowlin@...>wrote:

          > You guys and gals have been a big help in the past. I have a new question I
          > hope you can shed some light on. My Holiday Rambler has a large portion of
          > the foam insulation scraped off the bottom of the holding tanks. This was
          > sprayed on at the factory. The foam is basically white and painted black. Do
          > you know what kind of foam this is and where to find a can or two? I don't
          > know if I actually need it, but I'm trying to get this HR back to it
          > original condition and this is part of the restoration. Thanks,
          > Dan
          > 1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial

        • Hamilton, Jim
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10, 2009
            Most likely what HR used was spray-on building insulation to freeze-proof the holding tanks since it has an R-7 value per 1 inch of thickness. A large store that supplies commercial roofers would have the spray foam available, but it is not cheap. Comes in two compressed-air-type tanks, and even the smallest size would foam the entire motorhome bottom, and cost about $250. The little cans of "Great Stuff" brand, and "DAP LATEX" foam would work, but are formulated NOT to widen out and cover a flat surface, but instead to expand inside a crack or void. Be aware that some DIY spray foam is very combustible if used near hot exhaust pipes or axles. If heat source is a problem, there is a special foam made to seal cracks in fireplaces, and therefore will not burn.
            J Hamilton

          • Jabba Truck
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 11, 2009
              I used to work for a company that had roofs on two buildings replaced with this material.  I talked to the crew during their breaks.  They said they bought all their work clothes at thrift stores.  Shirt and pants would be thrown out every day, shoes would be wrapped in "peel off" layers of duct tape to make them last a little longer, but they would still go through two pairs a week.  Granted, taking your time spraying a few dozen square feet on a motorhome is a bit different from getting paid by the square foot (not by the hour) on a hundred thousand square foot roof, but still, you might not want to apply this wearing non-disposable clothing.  Protect your skin, hair, eyes, and lungs appropriately.

              Good point about checking the flammability.

              Great Stuff can be smoothed and sculpted, if you aren't concerned that the finish looks like it did from the factory.  Tom Kennedy used it pretty extensively.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 11, 2009
                Oops.  Yahoo stripped out my Tom Kennedy link and replaced with something pointing to the similarly-named game show host.

                Hopefully this link will provide the correct context:
                http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-tom-kennedy21-2009apr21,0,2234068.story

                Sorry for any accidental confusion or off-topic drift this correction has taken.

                .