Re: Fuel pumps

  • olehermit
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2009
      I went through the same vapor lock problems for about a year with my 1984 class-C Chevy. I also tried replacing the mechanical pump and filters but each time I hit the road in 90 plus degree weather I would wind up in the slow lane chugging along. I went to Speedwaymotors.com and bought their SPEEDWAY ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP, RED Item #: 91012801 for about $80 plus S&H. This pump delivers fuel at over a gallon a minute when needed. I mounted this electric pump between the tank and the mechanical pump and placed a rocker switch on the dash within easy reach. I only run the electric pump when needed. It is now a pleasure to drive my ole RV with what feels like another hundred horse power and no more vapor lock.
    • Warren
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2009
        Not a bad idea. I will keep that in mind if I end up trading my vintage 1953
        Airstream for a motor home.
        1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

        On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM, olehermit <olehermit@...> wrote:

        > I went through the same vapor lock problems for about a year with my 1984
        > class-C Chevy.....snip....

      • kdmiller003
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
          I asked at the bottom of my post if anyone knew if Holiday Rambler offered a dual fuel option of propane/gas in 1984. After doing some research I discovered that they indeed did offer such an setup and my new to me HR has that installed. I just don't know how or if I want to use it. There is no paperwork with the MH on it. Does anyone know anything about running a motorhome on propane?

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "kdmiller003" <dmiller_nowlin@...> wrote:

          > I just bought a 1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial 33ft. On the drive back to my house, which was over 100 miles, the engine cut out with out warning. I would be driving along at 60 and then it just quit. It would start back up again and eventually we got it home. Looking at the carb, we discovered that it was not getting enough fuel. We located a loose wire on the fuel pump just below the carb, but even fixing that didn't improve things much. Are there other fuel pumps along the line and where are they located. Is there one in the gas tank?
          >
          > On another note, on the dash there is a gauge for propane. It gives the impression that the engine can run on propane. Was that an option in 1984?

        • Warren
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
            If the gasoline engine has been modified to switch, it will work just fine.

            Propane will provide a little less horses but run much much cleaner. No
            carbon build up at all. If you run exclusively on propane, the oil will not
            turn black. It will still brake down but no carbon will build up in the oil
            that makes it turn black. Might take a few oil changes after switching
            exclusively to propane to get rid of all the carbon from the gasoline. Your
            filters will last longer, the engine will last longer, Your oil still needs
            to be changed as often as it calls for but if you use synthetics, I do
            believe but am not sure that synthetics will go more miles before requiring
            it to be changed if you run exclusively on propane.
            Burning propane, Exhaust is water vapor and CO2. No Hydrocarbons at all.
            Burns clean.
            If you have to get it emission tested, Run it on propane during the test. it
            will pass with flying colors.

            Disadvantages are: not as readily available as gasoline. Less power could be
            a problem but most really don't worry about it because it is minimal. Not
            sure of the cost comparison to gasoline or the MPG difference between
            gasoline and propane.

            I would love to have an RV or vehicle that would run on either gasoline or
            propane. I would probably use propane most of the time switching only to gas
            when I can't get propane.

            Happy campin yall.
            1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

            On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 7:11 AM, kdmiller003 <dmiller_nowlin@...>wrote:

            > I asked at the bottom of my post if anyone knew if Holiday Rambler offered
            > a dual fuel option of propane/gas in 1984. After doing some research I
            > discovered that they indeed did offer such an setup and my new to me HR has
            > that installed. I just don't know how or if I want to use it. There is no
            > paperwork with the MH on it. Does anyone know anything about running a
            > motorhome on propane?

          • Jabba Truck
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
              Propane is also cheaper and has a higher octane equivelent.  More octane won't get you anything extra on its own, but it would allow for more advanced timing or higher compression ratios.

              On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 7:11 AM, kdmiller003 <dmiller_nowlin@ hotmail.com>wrote:

              > I asked at the bottom of my post if anyone knew if Holiday Rambler offered
              > a dual fuel option of propane/gas in 1984. After doing some research I
              > discovered that they indeed did offer such an setup and my new to me HR has
              > that installed. I just don't know how or if I want to use it. There is no
              > paperwork with the MH on it. Does anyone know anything about running a
              > motorhome on propane?

              [
              .