Poll question concerning "house batteries"

  • k9qb
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2009
      After having read many articles and posts discussing the hard life of the typical house battery(ies), I would like to ask everyone on this list a question.

      After spending some time running on the house battery/(ies) they can be discharged to a fairly low charge....That's why "deep-cycling" batteries are used.

      Anyway, after running down the "house" battery, when you restart the RV engine, be it the tow vehicle or a self propelled RV, there usually is a high re-charge current that takes place through either a solid state "isolator" or a relay.

      This high re-charge current flow is blamed for the heating of both the house and chassis batteries causing release of electrolyte through water vapor and sulphation of the battery plates, seriously shortening the life of the battery.

      Of course, there is also the alternator to consider, which is contributing more than it's fair share to this high current, causing it to also get warmer than usual.

      Considering all this, I'm wanting to extend the life of my batteries and protect my alternator by devising a means of reducing the inrush of current to my house batteries after they've been considerably discharged...at least until the charge voltage has reached a reasonable level...then allow the solid state battery isolator to deliver a continuous charge.

      I'm inviting everyone to view my question in the "Poll" section and respond with your answer.
      I wanted to ask several questions and the polling set-up doesn't allow that to be done very easily, please read the questions and select your answers from the list...I hope it's not tooo confusing...

      Thank you, Mike
    • micheal twofeathers
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2009
        now i can't possibly vote on this issue, i am set up for boondocking, this includes an air generator, and solar panels,7 batteries even tho i have an solid state isolator for the altenator. i stay put for long periods, and only run the engine for 30 minutes per month. longest time in one spot. 6 months oct 1 to april 1 ltva la posa north arizona, every year. mike