WOUT DEELSTRA, remember him?

  • Desert Dutch Schaafsma
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2000
      First of all, a "HAPPY NEW YEAR" to one and all!

      A while ago I wrote to you to ask if you would be kind enough to sent
      a very sick little boy a postcard, remember?
      Your reponse was overwhelming! More than 2000 cards from all over the
      world. Several from the USA and even one from Australia.
      You all know who you are and Wout's mother thanks you for your
      kindness. THANK YOU AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU!

      Wout was a healthy boy, 7 years old, when in November 1999 he was
      getting headaches and threw up almost nightly.
      It took the doctors until April 2000 to find out that he had a brain
      tumor. On April 13, he underwent surgery for 10 hours.
      He is home now but must have chemo therapy treatments until this
      coming summer 2001.
      Wout has lost almost all of his speach, motor skils and is confined
      to a wheelchair.
      The worst part is, he knows what is going on, with him and around him.
      Your cards were a great moral booster, especially after his chemo
      days when he felt miserable.

      As you can imagine, at first there was an deluge of cards. That
      slowed down to a stream and now it is only a trickle.

      PLEASE BE SO KIND TO MAIL HIM ANOTHER CARD OR TWO!
      Wout also likes BASEBALL CAPS.
      His favorite colors are blue, green and red. How about it?

      His address is:
      Wout Deelstra
      Vondelstraat 14
      7901 HR Hoogeveen
      THE NETHERLANDS
      It takes a 55 cent stamp for a postCARD and 60 cents for an envelope.
      You can also sent him your prayers and those require no postage.

      I wish you many safe trips in the coming year and let's not forget to
      count our blessings!
      Desert Dutch
      http://www.geocities.com/desert_dutch
    • Chris Swan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
        Will do, Dutch. How's the desert these days?
        I'll see if I can get some of the other guys in our model railroad
        group to send him some.

        -Chris Swan in WI

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2001
          --- In classicrv@egroups.com, "Chris Swan" <possum@t...> wrote:
          > Will do, Dutch. How's the desert these days?
          > I'll see if I can get some of the other guys in our model railroad
          > group to send him some.
          >
          > -Chris Swan in WI
          >

          > > His address is:
          > > Wout Deelstra
          > > Vondelstraat 14
          > > 7901 HR Hoogeveen
          > > THE NETHERLANDS
          > > It takes a 55 cent stamp for a postCARD and 60 cents for an
          > envelope.
          > > You can also sent him your prayers and those require no postage.
          > >
          > > I wish you many safe trips in the coming year and let's not
          forget
          > > count our blessings!
          > > Desert Dutch
          > > http://www.geocities.com/desert_dutch

          Thanks, Chris! Don't forget those baseball caps! In your case, how
          about a Rail Road Engineers cap? I can asure you that it is thrill
          for any kid in Holland to receive a real American baseball cap, let's
          not put him down.
          To answer your question: "How's the desert?"
          IT IS PARADISE! Take care and God Bless You!
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 20, 2001
            -THIS JUST IN: The "Make a Wish Foundation" granted Wout his wish to
            "RIDE IN A BOBSLED" in a magnificent way.
            They first took him to a kennel, close to his home, where people
            breed and train the Huskies that are used in the races.
            That was 2 weeks ago.
            Then on Friday, (1/12/01) Wout and his family were flown to
            Austria to attend the World Championships Bobsled Racing.
            An unforgetable affair, his mother said. 150 teams and ca.1000 dogs.
            Wout got to ride in some of the sleds, he was all bundled up in
            sleeping bags because the temperatures were way below freezing.

            BUT WHAT I REALLY WANTED TO TELL YOU IS: His mother tells me that:
            "IT IS RAINING CAPS AND CARDS" on their home right now (no cats&dogs)
            THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU all you good and kind people.
            If I may quote Wout's mom one more time:
            "I WISH THAT YOU COULD SEE HIS FACE LIGHT UP EVERY TIME SOMETING
            COMES IN THE MAIL FOR HIM."
            Please continue to send him your PRAYERS, cards and caps, be assured
            that it is appreciated and that you are sprinkling a little sunshine
            in his difficult life. Next week is 2 days of radiation again.
            His address is:

            WOUT DEELSTRA
            VONDELSTRAAT 14
            7901 HR HOOGEVEEN
            THE NETHERLANDS

            Thank you and may God Bless you all, each and everyone of you!

            -- In classicrv@egroups.com, "Desert Dutch Schaafsma" <schaaf@p...>
            wrote:
            > --- In classicrv@egroups.com, "Chris Swan" <possum@t...> wrote:
            > > Will do, Dutch. How's the desert these days?
            > > I'll see if I can get some of the other guys in our model
            railroad
            > > group to send him some.
            > >
            > > -Chris Swan in WI
            > >

            > > > His address is:
            > > > Wout Deelstra
            > > > Vondelstraat 14
            > > > 7901 HR Hoogeveen
            > > > THE NETHERLANDS
            > > > It takes a 55 cent stamp for a postCARD and 60 cents for an
            > > envelope.
            > > > You can also sent him your prayers and those require no postage.
            > > >
            > > > I wish you many safe trips in the coming year and let's not
            > forget
            > > > count our blessings!
            > > > Desert Dutch
            > > > http://www.geocities.com/desert_dutch
            >

            > Thanks, Chris! Don't forget those baseball caps! In your case, how
            > about a Rail Road Engineers cap? I can asure you that it is thrill
            > for any kid in Holland to receive a real American baseball cap,
            let's
            > not put him down.
            > To answer your question: "How's the desert?"
            > IT IS PARADISE! Take care and God Bless You!
            > Desert Dutch
            > http://www.geocities.com/desert_dutch
          • W. "DUTCH" Schaafsma
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 10, 2001
              Just a quick up-date on his situation.
              His mother told me that it is raining
              "caps & cards" (instead of cats & dogs.)
              ~~~~~~THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!~~~~~~

              His father installed a clothes line
              diagonally across Wout's bedroom from
              wich they have hung all the baseball caps
              with clothes pins.
              Wout insists that he wears a different
              cap when he gets up in the morning and
              an other one after his nap in the after-
              noon. That way, he figures he wears all
              the caps on a rotation basis.
              What a guy, no? THANK YOU!

              All the cards are tacked on his bedroom
              walls with thumb-tacks and they looked at
              very often. It's beginning to look like
              wallpaper! THANK YOU!

              Sorry to report that it isn't going too
              good with him right now.
              His blood count is so low that he can not
              receive his chemo-treatments.
              The doctors are afraid that he will be
              prone to infections with his immune system
              down by that much.

              If he ever needs your prayers, it is NOW
              more than ever. Please remember him!