Just bought an old trailer and I need some help

  • mypomgirl
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
      Hi, my name is Kara. My husband and I literally just bought a 67 Aloha. This is our first trailer of any kind and I am sure I will have many, many questions. Unfortunately the first one I have is rather silly. Can anyone advise me as to what size ball hitches these things came with? My husband looked and couldn't tell, he also said there was years of paint over any possible markings that could have been there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    • ibdilbert2
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
        More than likely its a 2" ball.

        1972 Classic Winnebago / Brave D20
        Dodge 340, 727 Tranny
        2 Alternators, one is a 3G Re-Wired 250 Amp
        Auto Transfer Switch with 3000/6000 Inverter
        128 Watts Solar / 500AH Battery Bank
        http://www.mywinnebago.com

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "mypomgirl" <mypomgirl@...> wrote:

        > Hi, my name is Kara. My husband and I literally just bought a 67 Aloha. This is our first trailer of any kind and I am sure I will have many, many questions. Unfortunately the first one I have is rather silly. Can anyone advise me as to what size ball hitches these things came with? My husband looked and couldn't tell, he also said there was years of paint over any possible markings that could have been there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

      • Jerry Noone
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
          Beg or borrow a 2" ball and see if it fits into the coupler. Try it with the ball in your hand - it's easier that way. If it will not fit, it is pretty much a given that it is 1-7/8".
          Or grab a scraper and scrape the paint off the top of the coupler - it is almost always marked on there. Shouldn't be too hard to do since you are scraping paint off of hard metal.
          Jerry

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
            Thanks for the advice. I drug my husband out and coersed him into buying this thing and we don't even have the truck to haul it home yet (we are buying one from a friend). Luckily another good friend of ours offered to trailer it home for us even though the nice lady who sold it to us was more than willing to let us keep it there for a couple of weeks. Our friend has a 2" ball so we will try it..if not we will have to make a run to the local auto parts store. I am very excited to get it home. I LOVE all things "vintage". This is my project and I am ready to get started :)

            Kara
          • Billy Mason
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
              most of the ol travel trailers i have drug home i thought had to havea 2 5/8
              ball.. pretty sure that was it.. so make darn sure you get the right size,
              nothing like haveing a trailer just pop off the ball.. i had one do that,
              luckily i was sitting in the yard at the time and not goign down the road...
              > Thanks for the advice. I drug my husband out and coersed him into buying
              > this thing and we don't even have the truck to haul it home yet (we are
              > buying one from a friend). Luckily another good friend of ours offered to
              > trailer it home for us even though the nice lady who sold it to us was
              > more than willing to let us keep it there for a couple of weeks. Our
              > friend has a 2" ball so we will try it..if not we will have to make a run
              > to the local auto parts store. I am very excited to get it home. I LOVE
              > all things "vintage". This is my project and I am ready to get started :)
              >
              > Kara

            • Jerry Noone
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
                If your friend has a 2", then that is what you will need - if the set up was 1-7/8" the 2" would not have worked.
                Jerry

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
                  Oops - there is a 2-5/16" size as well but they seem to be used on trailers that haul construction equipment - but maybe - I would think your friend would have notice a bit of "sloppiness" with his 2" though if that were the case.
                  Jerry

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
                    Thanks Jerry. We have not moved it yet. Tomorrow is the big day. Hopefully the hitch is the right size.
                  • Leeann
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 7, 2009
                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Noone <rjerryc01@...> wrote:

                      > Oops - there is a 2-5/16" size as well but they seem to be used on trailers that haul construction equipment - but maybe - I would think your friend would have notice a bit of "sloppiness" with his 2" though if that were the case.
                      > Jerry

                      That's what our old travel trailer (someone converted it to be a car-hauler and we use it as storage) uses. It's the only one in our yard that uses the 2-5/16" ball, everything else uses 2".

                      If you have a Harbor Freight around you, go get a receiver with all 3 regular balls on it (1-7/8, 2, 2-5/16). That way you're covered, regardless.

                      Leeann