1978 midas rv

  • vegaswin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28 6:35 AM
      first rv-saved this 30 year old c-class.was being used for the

      "boys" man cave. 80.thousand miles.all new tires.$1.500. wife did all

      inside.posted on utube as 1978 midas rv.still had the original

      owners manual. how cool. thanks j caldwell/phnx az.
    • steve elms
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29 7:47 AM
        Hi all,

        I also have a Midas. Mine is a '76 on a Dodge chassis. I've found the Midas construction to be okay, not great but it's still going strong after 103,000 miles in 33 years. That's gotta say something good about the way it's built. I've had to replace just about all the appliances, new furnace, roof air, water heater, water pump, Etc. I don't think the engine, (Dodge 360), has ever been overhauled. I've done a valve job and replaced the water pump and housing, fuel pump, timing chain, alternator, carburetor, and radiator.

        She gets about 8 MPG, (don't they all?), and burns through a set of tires in about 30,000 miles. I drive it about 65 MPH usually pulling a 10 ft box trailer full of trials bikes. Sometimes I pull a vintage Bug convertable toad. We've been across some pretty scary dirt roads in New Mexico going into and out of the Rio Grande valley. I burned the front brakes off during one trip through the mountans of northern NM.

        All in all she's been one of the best purchases I've ever made. I love my brand of RVing. A lot of our motorcycle trials events are held far from a motel and it's super convenient to have a home right there at the event.

        My wife and I used to camp out of an old VW bus until a trip to Padre Island on the Texas Gulf Coast in the summer of 2004. We camped on the beach and it was blazing hot. When we got home she told me it was her last camping trip until I got her some air conditioning and her own bathroom. So, along came "Myrtle the Midas" and we're still going strong, both the motorhome at 33 and me at 66. If ya wanna stay young-feeling, get out and do stuff!!!

        We're off to Tishimongo, OK this weekend for the "Sooner Cup" pro-am trials event. I've won my class in the amateur part 3 times in the last 5 years, and won a Texas State class championship in 2005. If anyone wants to come play just google texhoma trials club, or sooner cup. It's a great place to camp and visitors are always welcome, look for the old Midas with steer horns on the hood and come say hello.

        See Ya,

        Steve Elms
        The Old Bultaco Guy

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "vegaswin" <vegaswin@...> wrote:

        > first rv-saved this 30 year old c-class.was being used for the
        >
        > "boys" man cave. 80.thousand miles.all new tires.$1.500. wife did all
        >
        > inside.posted on utube as 1978 midas rv.still had the original
        >
        > owners manual. how cool. thanks j caldwell/phnx az.

      • John
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29 8:16 AM
          hi me too. ;) a 23foot on a chev/gmc base. 1984. a fair few things replaced. John, Uk
        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29 8:16 AM
            hi me too. ;) a 23foot on a chev/gmc base. 1984. a fair few things replaced. John, Uk
          • Doug gihl
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29 8:12 PM
              Hi all I am about half way done on my 1978 midas rv on a ford 351w/c6 chassis. Only 45,000 miles on it and runs sweet as can be. replaced the roof and floor and lots of bolt on stuff on the engine.
              Doug, Minn