Re: [classicrv] Re: I am newbie!

  • Warren
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 2, 2009
      Ok. You can upgrade the radiator and the trans cooler if you don't already
      have the largest one out there...(Did that on my 1990 plymouth grand voyager
      I had)

      But First.....

      I would replace the thermostat and reverse flush the engine cooing system
      and radiator to make sure there is no junk in it and refill it with the
      proper mixture of antifreeze and distilled water. Less crap in the water to
      clog the system up with. Tap water will have hard water deposits that will
      clog the radiator over time.

      Check your engine cooling fan for proper operation. Belt driven fans have
      clutch mechanisms that can fail, electric fans can also not spin up to full
      speed as they age.

      Then if that doesn't fix the problem, add an engine oil cooler. After market
      ones are available from your local auto parts stores.
      If you still have problems with temp, upgrade the radiator to a larger one.
      Possibly even upgrade the size of the trans cooler if your not already at
      the largest size.
      Also make sure your running without air when the engine starts to heat up
      and drop your speeds to about 45 to 50. Don't try to climb those hills at
      the speed limit. Also since your cooling fan is most likely a belt drive
      fan, Drop it down out of high gear and slow to 40 or so. This is assuming
      your already no longer in overdrive. Don't use overdrive while towing. You
      can find a long discussion as to why on many of these rv groups and I think
      there is one on this group as well.
      If your cooling fan is electric just slow down. No need to shift out of high
      gear.
      The only vehicles that can tow in overdrive are the some of the 3/4 ton an
      almost all of the 1 ton vehicles and larger as well as most diesels.

      Or you can just sell the van a get your self a heavier duty van with a
      stronger engine. Yah, I know, to expensive.

      I hope that helps a little.

      1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

      On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:35 AM, wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

      > Actually, we have a full size '99 Dodge Ram van and it does have the
      > extra transmission cooler - a large one. We've towed before so we know what
      > we need to do it correctly, it's just this van can't take it. Always runs
      > warm when towing. Maybe we just have a lemon. If anyone has any suggestions
      > about what we can do to decrease the transmission temp, I'm all ears. We
      > could never drive in the mountains with a trailer attached to this thing.
      >
      > Cindy

    • JerryK
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 2, 2009
        Have you ever had the radiator flushed?
        JerryK

        > Why doesn't your shop guy tell you to put on a extra transmission cooler?

        Actually, we have a full size '99 Dodge Ram van and it does have the extra transmission cooler - a large one. We've towed before so we know what we need to do it correctly, it's just this van can't take it. Always runs warm when towing. Maybe we just have a lemon. If anyone has any suggestions about what we can do to decrease the transmission temp, I'm all ears. We could never drive in the mountains with a trailer attached to this thing.

        Cindy

      • wpmartin55
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 3, 2009
          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

          > Have you ever had the radiator flushed?
          > JerryK

          Hi Jerry and Warren,

          Yes, we have had it flushed. Actually, some of the bigger overheating problems began after we had the radiator replaced. It worked fine for a couple of years, then we started having problems. We think it's due to the fact that the radiator they used already had the deposits on it that Warren mentions. Someone suggested using an acid flush to see if we could get rid of the deposits. Anyone had any luck with that?

          We don't travel with the AC on - never could. We'll look into some of the other things Warren mentions and see if they help any. Thanks!
          Cindy
        • Warren
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 3, 2009
            If the radiator you have is full of hard water deposits, I would consider an
            acid wash but I bet it won't get it all out.
            I bet someone used stop leak in it once.

            If you ever feel you need to replace your radiator, get a new one not a used
            one.
            Try the less expensive options first. Thermostat, fan clutch, get it flushed
            again.

            One flushing could jar crud loose that doesn't come out all the way until
            later an it clogs the radiator again. The heater core can hold crud and has
            to be flushed as well. Engine to.

            I had to get my 1990 Plymouth voyager flushed 3 times to get it all out. But
            that was because someone had used stop leak sometime in its past. Stop leak
            is the worst thing you can do to a radiator. Not only will it stop the leak
            but it will clog everything else up to and it is not easy to get out.

            On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:12 PM, wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

            > Hi Jerry and Warren,
            >
            > Yes, we have had it flushed....snip...

          • JerryK
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 3, 2009
              Is there such a thing as an add-on or supplemental radiator?  Or maybe at that point what is needed is a new, heavier duty, high capacity radiator with more coils/rows of cooling.
              JerryK

              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 4, 2009
                Technically the standard size radiator that was installed at the factory
                should cool the engine under normal use to include climbing hills without
                any problem.
                If the engine is getting hot (not while towing) you have a problem.
                Something is not working properly.
                Water pump not pumping fast enough, Hoses collapsing due to age (no longer
                stiff enough) and thus restricting coolant flow, Thermostat sticking,
                radiator clogged, thermostat missing (removed) can also cause heat problems,
                clutch fan not working properly. etc...

                I would check those hoses to see if they are flimsy (easy to compress by
                hand) and compare to a new one. If the old ones are softer, replace them.
                Replace the thermostat if you haven't already done so.
                Check the water pump for proper flow.
                Get someone to use a temperature gun to check your radiator for cool spots.
                Get the radiator and engine flushed with compressed air and water. Pump
                water in then hit it with a blast of air. Last guy that flushed my voyager
                did that and it shook the whole vehicle vigorously and boy did he get a lot
                of crud out.

                If your still experiencing overheating, Check the sensor to see if it is
                reading properly. Could be the sensor is reading higher than it should.

                Now once you resolve that problem, you should be able to tow light loads
                without any problems.
                If you still experience heat problems then upgrading the engine radiator is
                an option.
                Also make sure your aux trans cooler (if you have one) is working like it
                should. An aux trans cooler is outside your radiator and is connected in
                series with the trans cooler inside your radiator.

                Another option though more expensive, Get a stronger vehicle. If your budget
                won't allow. Try trading for another very used decent condition but stronger
                vehicle. That is what I did. Sold my Plymouth and got a 3/4 ton heavy duty
                Suburban. yes it doubled my fuel budget but it pulls my trailer without any
                problems.

                Best of luck and happy campin

                1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.