Re: Towing....what I need to find out about the Van

  • wpmartin55
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2009
      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Argiropoulos <katie4292005@...> wrote:

      > End of month.... I will keep that in mind.  My Van was Made in Canada.
      > Dont think they are made there now.  Any one know?  I dont have an owners manuel.  Wish I did.

      You can still get the same information from the USA mfg. It's the parent company anyway. You may find an owners manual or repair manual in your local library. They often have those things. They are official company manuals and might contain some of the information you need.

      Cindy
    • Warren
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2009
        Thanks. obviously was having problems putting the correct wording together.
        Excellent clarification on the limits.
        1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

        On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Jabba Truck <jabbathetruck@...>wrote:

        > ...snip...
        > Clarification on Warren's caution below: I...snip.l..

      • Warren
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2009
          Thanks for the vote of confidence Cindy :) I sometimes sound like I know
          what I'm talking about and hope most of the time I have remembered it
          correctly.

          Ooh cool. that is a site I didn't know about. I'm gonna add that one to my
          list.
          1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

          On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:43 AM, wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

          > ...snip...
          >
          > Best of luck!
          > Cindy

        • adam coote
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2009
            Hey Jabba,

            Ok, I know this is sorta off topic here but it does pertain to towing!  Now, I have a 1989 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton, and I have towed as much as 7000lbs with ease.  My question is this - If you install a frame mounted hitch, such as a reese or hidden style hitch, this will increase your towing abilities correct?  A friend of mine has a 1990 Lincoln MKVII Bill Blass edition and he swears that your factory rated towing capacity is the absolute LIMIT as far as what you can tow regardless of the hitch installed.  Which is true?  I know his is a car and mine is a truck but this topic seems to steam him like nothing else!  Oh yeah, he says his car is incapable of towing a 79 lionel M500 tent trailer.  what do you think?

            adam

            I added a pic of the lionel so you can see what I mean.

            From: Barbara Argiropoulos katie4292005@ yahoo.com

            From the Vans sticker..GVRW 6,010 pounds
            GCWR..Front 2,980 pounds//Rear 3,620 pounds

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2009
              IF the car says 1,000 pounds & the Hitch says 2,000 puonds I For 1 would NOT go over 1,000 pound!!  Sounds like the hitch is to high rated for the car.

              ____________ _________ _________ __
              From: Barbara Argiropoulos katie4292005@ yahoo.com

              From the Vans sticker..GVRW 6,010 pounds
              GCWR..Front 2,980 pounds//Rear 3,620 pounds

              Call the manufacturer customer service for your van (not dealer) and ask
              them what the towing capacity is, Have your VIN number handy. Ask what the
              GVWR is, GCWR, Towing and max tongue weight.

              Then check your receiver and see what the max trailer/tongue weight is. do
              not exceed the lowest of the numbers.

              Ask the mechanic Does it have:
              Auxiliary transmission fluid cooler (required to tow)
              <snip>

              ..

              Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new Yahoo! Mail: http://ca.promos yahoo.com/ newmail/overview 2/

            • Warren
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2009
                Absolutely not. The receiver says 5000 lbs, if your vehicle states that it
                maxes out at 2000 lbs, then 2000 lbs is all you can tow safely period, no
                ands ifs or buts. Do not exceed the GVWR or GCWR or towing capacity of your
                vehicle as stated by the manufacturer of your vehicle regardless of what
                kind or brand of receiver or hitch you have.

                1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.