Re: [classicrv] New member with older tralier questions

  • Jabba Truck
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 4:57 AM
      Billy,

      As others have already mentioned, a brake controller is the key missing item.  It applies power to the brake circuit, but instead of being all-or-nothing, it applies what is appropriate for the given circumstances.

      In 1997, many truck manufacturers started pre-wiring the vehicles for electric brake controllers.  If yours is one of those, you can buy a controller and a harness for under $100, and self-install in about 20 minutes, or have a guy at the trailer store install it in about five minutes.

      If your truck isn't prewired, budget an extra $50 or so for an installation kit with wiring and circuit breakers, or buiild your own for about half of that.  Required parts will probably be listed in the instructions for the controller, but is basically four colors of wire, some connectors, circuit breakers, and zip ties.  Budget about two hours for self-installation if you need to build yout own harness.  You will need to run wires under the dash, through the firewall, along the framerail to the back bumper, and also tie in to the brake light circuit and vehicle power.