Airstream Finish

  • birdman_01
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 8:05 PM
      All the recent posts about old Airstreams has got me thinking (and dreaming)about a small buffed Airstream to pull behind my 65 Ford pickup.

      I have seen them with the finish in various condition, from polished, to weathered, and painted. My question is were they original clear coated, or anodized? Will the finished have to be stripped before buffing?

      Lynnie
    • Warren
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
        The first airstreams were anodized.
        Later (not sure what year but I think late 60s or so) they put a poly clear
        coat on them.

        Those polished mirror finished trailers are the anodized not the clear coat.
        If it had clear coat it was removed before polishing. Some have polished
        then covered with clear coat.
        Polishing one up is a very labor intensive job and if you have it done
        professionally, expect to drop several thousand on the job and it won't stay
        shiny unless you maintain it on a very frequent schedule or clear coat it
        and then you maintain the clear coat like you would take care of your car
        finish.
        Removal of the clear coat is also not an easy task but doable.

        I for one am not going to shin mine up at all. Mine predates the clear coat.
        Wash and a light buffing maybe but that is it.

        Others will know more about when they actually started using a clear coat
        finish.

        Check out the vintage airstream web site archives.
        http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/
        If it looks like an Airstream but is painted white or a very light tan, it
        probably is an Argosy which was also made by Airstream.
        Those are listed there as well at the bottom of the archives list.

        How about a 65 safari
        http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/65Safari/1965Safari3/index.html
        Or a 65 overlander
        http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/65Overlander/65Overlander_SI265152/index.html
        In 1965 they made 7 sizes ranging from 17 foot to 30 foot long.

        Or put this one behind your truck. :o)
        http://units.vintagecampers.com/details.php?id=193
        This one is not an Airstream but a 1955 50 foot spartan manor. Spartan
        aircraft company used anodized aluminum in theirs as well and it to can
        polish up to a mirror finish but I would hate to see the bill from polishing
        50 foot of trailer. that would take 2 to 3 weeks at least to finish. By the
        time you got done you would have to start over because the first sections
        would have started to fade.

        Happy campin yall.

        1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.