need some advice on my baby

  • TRUDY MAE BURGER
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2009
      As the start of the season is around the corner I have come to the time where I really need to fix this pesky leak in her roof. I think that it is coming from the roof vent almost above my bed in the back but, I'm not so sure that it is not from the roof needing to be redone. It has that white latex roof or rubber roofing on it. Over the winter and all the sonw and ice the area around the roof vent looks like the plywood or whatever its is rotting and falling. Is it possible to fix it with out pulling down the whole celling in my motorhome? I have a feeling that it has had this problem for awhile because they had tape all around the roof vent. Last year in the rain if we didn't have a tarp over the back quarter it would have a small drip but never could figure out where it was coming from. When I get up on the roof she is solid and has no soft spots on the roof. Is it possible that all the damage is just on the inside? If anyone has any idea or has tackled this before please I really could use the advice. This is a first for me but she is worth everything that I do to her. Thanks to everyone for the open ear and the heart felt sugestions. Trudy, Mike and The Kids. Oh and from Papaw's girl she says thanks for helping her mom make her whole again.
    • Penny
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2009
        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "TRUDY MAE BURGER" <trudymike@...> wrote: Is it possible to fix it with out pulling down the whole celling in my motorhome? Last year in the rain if we didn't have a tarp over the back quarter it would have a small drip but never could figure out where it was coming from. Is it possible that all the damage is just on the inside? >>>

        Trudy, All RV's should have the roof vents, fridge vents, clearance lights, and other roof projections taken out and re-butyl puttyed, and re-caulked with Dicor or other RV/marine self leveling caulk, every 10 years. This is seldom done by the PO, and if it was they might have used silicone, which is a no-no, as it makes paths for leaks. So I would start there.
        Happy Trails, Penny, TX