Re: bought my 2nd classic RV

  • Sirrobyn0
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
      Well, we made the 135 mile drive on Sunday down to Toledo,
      Washington I spent over an hour checking it out. All the appliances
      work A/C in the coach and cab work, Furnance works good, stove and
      oven all work. I even waited long enough to be able to start to
      feel the fridge cool down. All plumbing and electrical work good.
      Went up on the roof, which as it turned out had been redone.
      Crawled around underneath it, has new mufflers, newer transmission.
      I could not find any rot on it at all. Looked underneath everything
      inside and in the cabover area, no rot nor any mosture. Had to jump
      start but then it ran good on the test drive an stopped good as
      well. We agreed on $3,000 for a price and
      I drove it home. Ran good and the highway but a bit ruff at idle,
      it acts like one of the idle curcits in the carburetor is badly out
      of adjustment or plugged. Amp gauge shows that it is charging but
      we had to jump start it everytime I shut it off for more than about
      a minite so I think it needs a battery. I figure that before our
      first camping trip in May I'll tune it up, adjust or rebuild the
      carburetor, replace the thermostat, and flush or change all the
      fluids. One of the things that made me feel good about the rig is
      it has an oil change sticker in the windshield and it's not due yet,
      though I'm going to change it any way. So I'm pretty happy with our
      new Motorhome, it's got the same birth year as me 1978, I wonder if
      I keep her going intill I'm retired, guess we will have to see about
      that. Hey I do have one question, this is the first time I have had
      a refrigerator that is 110 volt and propane only, in the little
      travel trailer we had it had 12 VDC as well. With a 110 / gas only
      fridge how do you keep your food cold when traveling? I was always
      told that running the gas when moving was not safe and that the
      flame could go out, is that true or not.

      Thanks,
      Rob

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Warren <wncol2004@...> wrote:

      > Can't help with the brand.
      > But as you know, Check every spot, corner, crevice and system
      before
      > settling on a price.
      > Check tires and age of tires etc...Last oil change etc...
      >
      > Otherwise, Have a great drive and hope it is something worth
      getting. :)

      > If the Flair doesn't work out, Remember, There will always be a
      next time.

      > Don't omit small vintage travel trailers from your list of
      possibilities.
      > Just make sure you have the proper tow vehicle before you close a
      deal on a
      > trailer of any kind.
      >
      > --
      > Warren
      > 1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
      > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
      > Western KY
      >
      > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Sirrobyn0 <sirrobyn0@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Well I used to post here occasionally but in the fall of 2007 I
      > > traded in my 1974 Dodge Tioga 19' for a new 10 foot...snip....

    • Lynnie Whitefield
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
        If the fridge isn't opened the items inside will stay cold for a long time. We replaced our gas/electric refrigerator with an all electric unit primarily due to the huge difference in price. We have a generator on board and could run it to power the fridge during travel but find it not necessary for 90% of the trips we make.

        Lynnie

> [...]

        > Otherwise, Have a great drive and hope it is something worth
        getting. :)

        > If the Flair doesn't work out, Remember, There will always be a
        next time.

        > Don't omit small vintage travel trailers from your list of
        possibilities.
        > Just make sure you have the proper tow vehicle before you close a
        deal on a
        > trailer of any kind.
        >
        > --
        > Warren
        > 1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
        > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
        > Western KY
        >
        > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Sirrobyn0 <sirrobyn0@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Well I used to post here occasionally but in the fall of 2007 I
        > > traded in my 1974 Dodge Tioga 19' for a new 10 foot...snip....

      • Mike VanPelt
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
          We run ours on propane or start the gennie in hot weather - some say DON'T
          run it when driving, some say it's no problem.

          Stuff does stay cold in there a long time if it isn't constantly being
          opened.

          Hey, if your original 110v/LP 'fridge is still running well, you're really
          doing good. Sounds like a great find.

          Mike

          ======================

          "There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you
          can live as if everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

          ======================

          Cindy & Mike VanPelt

          - Libby & Darcy

          Milwaukee, WI, USA

          1997 Itasca Spirit 21RK Class C

          - 21', Ford E350, 460V8

          1979 Champion TransVan Model 604 Class B+

          - 19', Dodge B300 Sportsman, 360V8

        • Sirrobyn0
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
            As far as I can tell it is the original refrigerator, all the paper
            work indicates that, however it does have some pretty good wear
            inside on the shelfs and it looks like it could use a deap
            cleaning. I feel like it's a good find, a few little things but
            nothing major at all. Can't wait to get her into tip top shape and
            go camping.

            Rob

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

            > We run ours on propane or start the gennie in hot weather - some
            say DON'T
            > run it when driving, some say it's no problem.
            >

            > Stuff does stay cold in there a long time if it isn't constantly
            being
            > opened.
            >

            > Hey, if your original 110v/LP 'fridge is still running well,
            you're really
            > doing good. Sounds like a great find.
            >

            > Mike
            >

            > ======================
            >
            > "There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a
            miracle; you
            > can live as if everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
            >
            > ======================
            >

            > Cindy & Mike VanPelt
            >
            > - Libby & Darcy
            >
            > Milwaukee, WI, USA
            >
            > 1997 Itasca Spirit 21RK Class C
            >
            > - 21', Ford E350, 460V8
            >
            > 1979 Champion TransVan Model 604 Class B+
            >
            > - 19', Dodge B300 Sportsman, 360V8

          • Warren
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
              Sounds like you got it all figured out.

              If you get it good and cold before you hit the road, It will stay cool for a
              while if you don't open it.
              You can also freeze half gallon milk jugs and put them in there before you
              hit the road to help keep it cold.
              A full frig stays cold longer than a empty one.

              Also make sure all items are pre chilled or already frozen before you put
              then in the RV frig.

              Or you can run your generator if the motor home has one and run the frig on
              120 volt AC while your traveling.

              Another option is get an inverter to run the frig while traveling.

              Lots of options there.

              Best of luck and sounds like you got a decent deal and a good RV.
              1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2009
                I freezing 1/2 gallon milk jugs sounds like a really good Idea. Then when we are camping we can refreeze them in the freezer. Smart thinking, sounds a lot safer than traveling with the propane on or risking having the food get to warm. Now I just got to get my barn cleaned out so I have a place to park it and work on it a little, I got my first trip comming up in May.