Some replys to my "a question"

  • BOB ROSS
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
      I do thank you guys for answering my questions. Although I do have one
      answer I would still like to hear any other answers.. I dont like what
      I heard about mileage (thanks wesley)and hoping that maybe the outlook
      is not as bad as suggested. (I can always hope?? Maybe someone had
      better mileage results???..LOL)

      Mostly I want to email to respond to the Overdrive statements made
      here. When towing it is NEVER advisable to use overdrive.

      In tests that I have seen on level surfaces in overdrive The
      transmission temperature starts climbing almost immediately and just
      continued to climb, eventually the high temperature will destroy the
      transmission. I do not know of any Transmissions that recommend using
      overdrive to tow and for good reason.

      The suggestion that to use it Downhill is good, the Transmission will
      probably not overheat.. BUT then you will have to remove it from
      Overdrive when it stops being Downhill. With that being said you could
      also put it into neutral (HIGHLY DANGEROUS ESPECIALLY WHEN TOWING)
      and coast. and save even more money on fuel..

      I am not trying to fault anyone, or be argumuementative, but as noted
      by some other responders, the use of overdrive when towing has
      certainly torn up a lot of transmissions. I DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE THE
      IMPRESSION THAT IT WAS OK TO TOW IN OVERDRIVE.

      I have Fords/Toyotas/Chevrolets in my collection and there are NONE of
      them that recommend the use of overdrive when towing.

      Incidently, some of the testing was done on the
      TOYOTA-CAMPERS@... site on the Toyota motorhomes.
      After testing, the resulting statements were that the motorhome owners
      with overdrive SHOULD NEVER USE IT. (UNLESS DOWNHILL OF COURSE-lol)
      BOB
    • Warren
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
        I agree with Bob.
        and just to reinforce one point.
        "I do not know of any Transmissions that recommend using overdrive to tow
        and for good reason. "

        My owners manual of my 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager said I could on level
        ground. I did and burned out the transmission. So, Some manuals and
        manufacturers say you can but DON'T DO IT unless you want a new
        transmission.

        1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
        1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Run Away Sue)
        Western KY

        On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM, BOB ROSS <antiqbob@...> wrote:

        > I do thank you guys for answering my questions....snip....

      • Lloyd
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2009
          We tow a 2000 lb PUP with our Chevy Astro, 4.3 V-6 and auto tranny.
          The manual says you can use overdrive so long as the transmission
          isn't "searching" or shifting from OD to 3rd and back. We've racked
          up 200K+ miles with no transmission problems. Even loaded in our
          situation we were 1000 under the GVWR. My belief is that anything
          that will be towing on a regular basis, or long distance even once,
          should have a transmission temp gauge. Find out the normal temp range
          and keep an eye on the temp. Don't exceed the GVWR and use brakes,
          even if you think you don't need them.
        • John Millie
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2009
            I pull my 2000 Salem 30 footer with my 1995 Ford F-150 4x4 with 351 and automatic, I always pull in overdrive, I am not hard on the truck, stay around 1500-2000 rpms and try to pull less than 300 miles a day max(usually over 12 mpg). I have never had a tranny problem, but I do have the system flushed completely as per Ford specs. Same with the brake fluid/coolant/engine oil. 115,000 miles on first front disc pads! Good tires on everything and check your tire pressures!

            Happy Trails to You!
            God Bless!