can you retrofit a trailer to newer water lines

  • p8ntballerz26
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
      I have a 1979 Sunflower 5th wheel but it doesn't have the hook up for
      city water. The rv place says that the lines won't hold city water
      pressure. Is it possible o retrofit the lines?
    • JerryK
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
        Sure, why not, but it could be a real pain in the back and a lot of work too.  The bottom line is, you could if you wanted to.  Why not just get a really good pressure regulator to control the incoming city water pressure?
        JerryK

        I have a 1979 Sunflower 5th wheel but it doesn't have the hook up for
        city water. The rv place says that the lines won't hold city water
        pressure. Is it possible o retrofit the lines?

      • jonbushsr
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2008
          What type of water lines do you have?

          Jon
          92 Ulrastar
          Oshkosh, Cummins 5.9

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "p8ntballerz26" <p8ntballerz26@...>
          wrote:

          > I have a 1979 Sunflower 5th wheel but it doesn't have the hook up for
          > city water. The rv place says that the lines won't hold city water
          > pressure. Is it possible o retrofit the lines?

        • Warren
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2008
            Yes it is.

            My old girl (1953 Airstream) will eventually have all her lines replaced.
            She currently has copper but I will be using reinforced vinyl lines like my
            2001 pop-up did when I had it. So far she has a few reinforced vinyl lines
            in her now as patches on the blow outs where she was allowed to freeze
            before I got her and she passed the city water pressure test with flying
            colors.

            Go to an RV dealer and take a look at a new RV and look at all the lines.
            Best type to look at is a pop-up camper. Those lines are in the cabinets
            quite easily viewed. You will see what it has and how to do it your self .
            They don't use copper any more and your local hardware store (Lowe's, Home
            Depot, Builders Square, etc... ) will probably have all the parts you need

            1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.
            1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Run Away Sue)
            Western KY

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2008
              That one is a very good and inexpensive idea.

              On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:18 PM, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

              > Sure, why not, but it could be a real pain in the back and a lot of work
              > too. The bottom line is, you could if you wanted to. Why not just get a
              > really good pressure regulator to control the incoming city water pressure?
              > JerryK

            • Jerry Noone
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2008
                Look online for Camco Pressure Regulators - they are inexpensive, even the ones with a gauge. They will not allow pressure to "creep" when everything is shut down. I have used one of these for years and have never had a problem. They cost about $10 to $20 depending on whether they have a gauge or not. They attach at the water entry port. Check the pressure load to be sure your plumbing can handle it. You should be able to find information on your RV to determine the maximum pressure it is designed for.

                I have a 1979 Sunflower 5th wheel but it doesn't have the hook up for
                city water. The rv place says that the lines won't hold city water
                pressure. Is it possible o retrofit the lines?

              • bob woods
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2008
                  He could have an old unit without electric pump, where you pressurize the tank to about 25-30 psi. bobwoods

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2008
                    actually I do have a 12 volt electric pump.