Re: [classicrv] Gas tanks

  • Billy Mason
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
      yeah you need to be carful, out in that area the gas stations are few n far
      between. the best way to find out is to go fill themup. sorry dont want to
      sound like a smart ass.. you shold have a minimun of 40, but probalby got
      more than that.. you could always get under it and take measure ment of both
      tanks, then figure it out that way...sorry been up for a couple of days
      now, so not much help..
      billy
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
        From Jackpot to Wells is 68 miles
        From Wells to Ely is 139 miles
        From Ely to I-15 is 259 miles
        Total 466 miles or at 8 mpg is 58 gals

        However from Ely to Caliente is 134 miles
        Total 332 or at 8 mpg is 17 gals

        There are 2 isolated stretches
        From Wells to Ely and from Ely to Caliente, however there are 3 other
        small towns nearer to Caliente

        Dad
        co-moderator

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "pakehapa" <pakehapa@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > We own a 1978 Ford Frontier 21ft Motorhome 351 v8 motor, It has
        two
      • Peter Penwarden
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
          Hi, if you measure the length, height and depth of the tank you can work out it's capacity. I have a 73 Dodge and was unsure what the tank holds. Measured it and it's 35 gallons. Hope that helps.
          Peter
          Bristol  England

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2008
            I had a 1978 Ford 1 Ton pickup with two fuel tanks. The front tank
            was 14-17 gallons and the rear tank was 17-20 gallons. Hope this
            helps.

            Jon

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Peter Penwarden <ppenwarden@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi, if you measure the length, height and depth of the tank you can
            work out it's capacity. I have a 73 Dodge and was unsure what the
            tank holds. Measured it and it's 35 gallons. Hope that helps.
            > Peter
            > Bristol  England

          • pakehapa
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2008
              wrote:

              > Hi, if you measure the length, height and depth of the tank you can
              work out it's capacity. I have a 73 Dodge and was unsure what the
              tank holds. Measured it and it's 35 gallons. Hope that helps.
              > Peter
              > Bristol  England

              1978 Ford Motorhome. I got to look at an original 1978 ford
              econoline manual and it says the E 350 cutaway and the E 350 super
              van tanks are, the main tank holds 22.1 us gallons and the auxiliary
              tank holds 18 us gallons. thank you for all the input very much
              appreciated Glennis. O.

              > Hi,
              >
              > We own a 1978 Ford Frontier 21ft Motorhome 351 v8 motor, It has two
              > gas tanks, could someone,please, please,tell me the amount of
              gallons
              > these tanks hold. The reason is in the near future we will be
              traveling
              > down the US93 highway in Nevada to yuma.I am worried about the
              distances
              > from Jackpot to Wells and from Wells to Ely and from Ely to Alamo
              and
              > from Alamo to Las Vegas. I have been told I need to be very careful
              > don't run out of gas because of the lack of gas stations in these
              areas.
              > The Motorhome does 8 to 9 miles to the gallon. I was told by some I
              > should carry some extra cans of gas or maybe find another route,so
              that
              > makes me a bit uneasy.Any information would be very much
              appreciated.
              > Glennis. Alberta.

            • Harold Timmons
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                Okay, after you measure the the length, width and height , how do
                you convert this to gallons. I know this is in the back of my mind
                somewhere but right now I want to do it the easy way, ask some one to
                tell me
                Thanks
                Harold

              • adam coote
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Hey Everyone,

                  For anyone who's interested this is how I figured out my tank on my furnace - I measured the bottom of the tank, it was 24" round, I put one litre of water in the bottom and measured how high it sat in the tank.  you can then multiply that measurement by 4 to get each gallon in the tank.  then you multiply that measurement by the length of the tank.  For instance:

                  24" round tank
                  1" depth for 1 litre
                  4" depth = 1 gallon
                  therefore, if the tank is 44" long, you have an 11 gallon tank or 44 litres

                  this is the best way to figure these sorta things out.

                  Okay, after you measure the the length, width and height , how do
                  you convert this to gallons. I know this is in the back of my mind
                  somewhere but right now I want to do it the easy way, ask some one to
                  tell me
                  Thanks
                  Harold

                  -- In classicrv@yahoogrou ps.com, "pakehapa" <pakehapa@.. .> wrote:

                  > --- In classicrv@yahoogrou ps.com, Peter Penwarden <ppenwarden@ >
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi, if you measure the length, height and depth of the tank you
                  can
                  > work out it's capacity. I have a 73 Dodge and was unsure what the
                  > tank holds. Measured it and it's 35 gallons. Hope that helps.
                  > > Peter
                  > > Bristol  England

                • Duane
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Water is 7.5 gals/cubic ft., so gas is fairly close to that

                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Timmons" <cam1nut@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Okay, after you measure the the length, width and height , how
                    do
                    > you convert this to gallons. I know this is in the back of my mind
                    > somewhere but right now I want to do it the easy way, ask some one
                    > tell me
                    > Thanks
                    > Harold
                    >
                    > -- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "pakehapa" <pakehapa@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Peter Penwarden <ppenwarden@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi, if you measure the length, height and depth of the tank you
                    > can
                    > > work out it's capacity. I have a 73 Dodge and was unsure what the
                    > > tank holds. Measured it and it's 35 gallons. Hope that helps.
                    > > > Peter
                    > > > Bristol  England

                  • Ron Mitchell
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                      First find the volume in cubic inches. If it's a
                      regular block shape, multiply the length x width
                      x height in inches. If it's round, you'll need to
                      figure out the volume of a cylinder (pi R squared
                      x H). That gives you the volume in cubic inches.
                      Then multiply that by .00433 to give you the volume in US liquid gallons.

                      L x W x H x 0.00433 = US Gallons

                      Ron
                      76 Coachmen

                      P.S. This site will convert just about anything to anything:
                      http://www.onlineconversion.com/