Gas tanks

  • pakehapa
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
      Hi,

      We own a 1978 Ford Frontier 21ft Motorhome 351 v8 motor, It has two
      gas tanks, could someone,please,please,tell me the amount of gallons
      these tanks hold. The reason is in the near future we will be traveling
      down the US93 highway in Nevada to yuma.I am worried about the distances
      from Jackpot to Wells and from Wells to Ely and from Ely to Alamo and
      from Alamo to Las Vegas. I have been told I need to be very careful I
      don't run out of gas because of the lack of gas stations in these areas.
      The Motorhome does 8 to 9 miles to the gallon. I was told by some I
      should carry some extra cans of gas or maybe find another route,so that
      makes me a bit uneasy.Any information would be very much appreciated.
      Glennis. Alberta.

    • Billy Mason
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
        yeah you need to be carful, out in that area the gas stations are few n far
        between. the best way to find out is to go fill themup. sorry dont want to
        sound like a smart ass.. you shold have a minimun of 40, but probalby got
        more than that.. you could always get under it and take measure ment of both
        tanks, then figure it out that way...sorry been up for a couple of days
        now, so not much help..
        billy
        > We own a 1978 Ford Frontier 21ft Motorhome 351 v8 motor, It has two
        > gas tanks, could someone,please,please,tell me the amount of gallons
        > these tanks hold. The reason is in the near future we will be traveling
        > down the US93 highway in Nevada to yuma.I am worried about the distances
        > from Jackpot to Wells and from Wells to Ely and from Ely to Alamo and
        > from Alamo to Las Vegas. I have been told I need to be very careful I
        > don't run out of gas because of the lack of gas stations in these areas.
        > The Motorhome does 8 to 9 miles to the gallon. I was told by some I
        > should carry some extra cans of gas or maybe find another route,so that
        > makes me a bit uneasy.Any information would be very much appreciated.
        > Glennis. Alberta.

      • Duane
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
          From Jackpot to Wells is 68 miles
          From Wells to Ely is 139 miles
          From Ely to I-15 is 259 miles
          Total 466 miles or at 8 mpg is 58 gals

          However from Ely to Caliente is 134 miles
          Total 332 or at 8 mpg is 17 gals

          There are 2 isolated stretches
          From Wells to Ely and from Ely to Caliente, however there are 3 other
          small towns nearer to Caliente

          Dad
          co-moderator

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "pakehapa" <pakehapa@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > We own a 1978 Ford Frontier 21ft Motorhome 351 v8 motor, It has
          two
        • Peter Penwarden
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
            Hi, if you measure the length, height and depth of the tank you can work out it's capacity. I have a 73 Dodge and was unsure what the tank holds. Measured it and it's 35 gallons. Hope that helps.
            Peter
            Bristol  England

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2008
              I had a 1978 Ford 1 Ton pickup with two fuel tanks. The front tank
              was 14-17 gallons and the rear tank was 17-20 gallons. Hope this
              helps.

              Jon

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Peter Penwarden <ppenwarden@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi, if you measure the length, height and depth of the tank you can
              work out it's capacity. I have a 73 Dodge and was unsure what the
              tank holds. Measured it and it's 35 gallons. Hope that helps.
              > Peter
              > Bristol  England

            • pakehapa
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2008
                wrote:

                > Hi, if you measure the length, height and depth of the tank you can
                work out it's capacity. I have a 73 Dodge and was unsure what the
                tank holds. Measured it and it's 35 gallons. Hope that helps.
                > Peter
                > Bristol  England

                1978 Ford Motorhome. I got to look at an original 1978 ford
                econoline manual and it says the E 350 cutaway and the E 350 super
                van tanks are, the main tank holds 22.1 us gallons and the auxiliary
                tank holds 18 us gallons. thank you for all the input very much
                appreciated Glennis. O.

                > Hi,
                >
                > We own a 1978 Ford Frontier 21ft Motorhome 351 v8 motor, It has two
                > gas tanks, could someone,please, please,tell me the amount of
                gallons
                > these tanks hold. The reason is in the near future we will be
                traveling
                > down the US93 highway in Nevada to yuma.I am worried about the
                distances
                > from Jackpot to Wells and from Wells to Ely and from Ely to Alamo
                and
                > from Alamo to Las Vegas. I have been told I need to be very careful
                > don't run out of gas because of the lack of gas stations in these
                areas.
                > The Motorhome does 8 to 9 miles to the gallon. I was told by some I
                > should carry some extra cans of gas or maybe find another route,so
                that
                > makes me a bit uneasy.Any information would be very much
                appreciated.
                > Glennis. Alberta.

              • Harold Timmons
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Okay, after you measure the the length, width and height , how do
                  you convert this to gallons. I know this is in the back of my mind
                  somewhere but right now I want to do it the easy way, ask some one to
                  tell me
                  Thanks
                  Harold

                • adam coote
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Hey Everyone,

                    For anyone who's interested this is how I figured out my tank on my furnace - I measured the bottom of the tank, it was 24" round, I put one litre of water in the bottom and measured how high it sat in the tank.  you can then multiply that measurement by 4 to get each gallon in the tank.  then you multiply that measurement by the length of the tank.  For instance:

                    24" round tank
                    1" depth for 1 litre
                    4" depth = 1 gallon
                    therefore, if the tank is 44" long, you have an 11 gallon tank or 44 litres

                    this is the best way to figure these sorta things out.

                    Okay, after you measure the the length, width and height , how do
                    you convert this to gallons. I know this is in the back of my mind
                    somewhere but right now I want to do it the easy way, ask some one to
                    tell me
                    Thanks
                    Harold

                    -- In classicrv@yahoogrou ps.com, "pakehapa" <pakehapa@.. .> wrote:

                    > --- In classicrv@yahoogrou ps.com, Peter Penwarden <ppenwarden@ >
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi, if you measure the length, height and depth of the tank you
                    can
                    > work out it's capacity. I have a 73 Dodge and was unsure what the
                    > tank holds. Measured it and it's 35 gallons. Hope that helps.
                    > > Peter
                    > > Bristol  England

                  • Duane
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                      Water is 7.5 gals/cubic ft., so gas is fairly close to that

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Timmons" <cam1nut@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Okay, after you measure the the length, width and height , how
                      do
                      > you convert this to gallons. I know this is in the back of my mind
                      > somewhere but right now I want to do it the easy way, ask some one
                      > tell me
                      > Thanks
                      > Harold
                      >
                      > -- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "pakehapa" <pakehapa@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Peter Penwarden <ppenwarden@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi, if you measure the length, height and depth of the tank you
                      > can
                      > > work out it's capacity. I have a 73 Dodge and was unsure what the
                      > > tank holds. Measured it and it's 35 gallons. Hope that helps.
                      > > > Peter
                      > > > Bristol  England

                    • Ron Mitchell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                        First find the volume in cubic inches. If it's a
                        regular block shape, multiply the length x width
                        x height in inches. If it's round, you'll need to
                        figure out the volume of a cylinder (pi R squared
                        x H). That gives you the volume in cubic inches.
                        Then multiply that by .00433 to give you the volume in US liquid gallons.

                        L x W x H x 0.00433 = US Gallons

                        Ron
                        76 Coachmen

                        P.S. This site will convert just about anything to anything:
                        http://www.onlineconversion.com/