Re: [classicrv] Re: Wireless Backup Camera

  • dxxx cxxxxx
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2008
      you can get a 3.5 in. color unit at costco for 40 or 50 bucks.
      i think wal-mart and the auto stores are still selling the 2.5 in.
      Doug
    • Penny
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2008
        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, dxxx cxxxxx <dc_mopar@...> wrote:
        > you can get a 3.5 in. color unit at costco for 40 or 50 bucks.
        > i think wal-mart and the auto stores are still selling the 2.5 in.
        > Doug >>>

        Gee, mine was 7", and I don't think that I would want to go smaller
        than that. It would also click to see each side of the rear view which
        was very handy and made me feel safer when backing up.Happy Trails,
        Penny, TX
      • ibdilbert2
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2008
          I was thinking the same thing. I actually bought a rear view mirror
          with a tv screen built into it and even that seemed small to me. I
          ended up getting rid of the mirror w/ TV and ended up buying a fold
          down swivel 8 inch monitor from ebay.

          Pictures on link below....
          http://www.mywinnebago.com/blog/

          I also bought a wide view camera, I think it was advertised as 120
          degree wide view. (Another Ebay find)

          I mounted it just above the spare tire that hangs on the back of the
          RV. This setup works GREAT! The camera also is designed to reverse
          the image, as if you were looking into a mirror. Its hard to
          remember its just a TV Screen at times. I think I may have 100 bucks
          in the monitor and camera.

          When fall sets in, I'm going to buy two more cameras (non wide view)
          and mount them on the left/right fender. I want the turn signals to
          turn them on and off accordingly. This should eliminate blind spots
          and make changing lanes easier.

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Penny" <rsvpta@...> wrote:

          > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, dxxx cxxxxx <dc_mopar@> wrote:
          > > you can get a 3.5 in. color unit at costco for 40 or 50 bucks.
          > > i think wal-mart and the auto stores are still selling the 2.5 in.
          > > Doug >>>
          >
          > Gee, mine was 7", and I don't think that I would want to go smaller
          > than that. It would also click to see each side of the rear view which
          > was very handy and made me feel safer when backing up.Happy Trails,
          > Penny, TX

        • dxxx cxxxxx
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2008
            when you install your turning cameras, you may need to do a little re-wiring, as you don't want the cameras to "flash". you would want them on constantly until the signal is cancelled. i would also use a small relay and a seperate power scource and use the turn signal wire to operate the relay to prevent interference.
            they have in-dash stereo units with flip up screens, as well as remote screens that will give you larger screens, and you can use them for displaying your rear and/or side view cameras as well as gps and watching dvds.

            also, to the people installing these on metal skinned rv's, the metal skin can act as shielding and cause poor reception. you can also try mounting the camera- inside the rear window with suction cup mounts.
            Doug
          • ibdilbert2
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2008
              I designed a small circuit board to handle the switching using solid
              state relays. I have an 8 inch LCD built onto the dash that is my
              GPS, I've thought about making the circuit override the GPS screen
              when the turn signals are on, and keep a constant display on the fold
              down screen thats being used as a rear view display.