Chevy AC questions - G30

  • John
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi all..

      I am wondering if someone can just give me a basic run down of my
      Chevy AC electrical system?

      I have removed the heater core as it leaks badly.. Whilst the dash is
      partly off, I thought I would take a look at the seperate AC system
      as this doesn't work either lol

      I can make the AC fan work straight from a 12V power source (at 3
      different speeds), so the motor is ok. On the dash there is an off,
      1,2 and 3 position switch, and the potentiometer for the temp... I am
      guessing the van [once] had climate control? (I have never owned a
      US vehicle before)

      The back of the 3-way switch has a burnt contact, and the wire to
      this has snapped off.. reconnection causes what sounds like a relay
      to click and nothing more. (this click is also apparent when I turn
      the temp control towards 'cooler'

      I think I am asking if someone can give me the relationship between
      the two dash controls, the relay(s) and the blower? Where is the
      relay? it sounds like it's over on the right side... does the AC
      blower work even if there is a problem with the AC, ie. should you
      still get outside temp air through face vents? What about the
      compressor, what switches the clutch on?

      many thanks for any help :)

      John, England
    • Jabba Truck
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
        What year van?
        Usually climate control has more than two knobs and/or often more than three fan speed selections.  You usually  have some sort of manual override so that you can force the air to come out defroster or heater vents, at your preference, and be warm or cool.
        If you only have two switches, it sound more like an add-on (not factory installed) a/c system.  If it is like the old 77 Dodge van our family used to own, indeed one selects fan speed and turns the whole system off.  The other selects the point where the a/c compressor kicks in.
        Could the relay sound indeed be the compressor clutch engaging?  Or perhaps it is a relay that feeds the compressor clutch circuit?
        Yes, you should be able to get air circulating even without the compressor.

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
          Thanks Jabba

          sorry, 1984 23' RV..

          running over the AC core, there is a thin metal tube which runs into
          the rotating switch (thermostat?) on the dash.. so I am guessing the
          switch will cut/add AC when by 'sensing' the temp from this tube...

          The system is odd, in that there are two blowers, one does warm air
          through heater core, and blows to screen and/or feet.

          The other is the AC blower which blows cool/cold air through vents on
          dash.. It's different from say my european car where the whole
          system is combined..

          John

          > What year van?
          > Usually climate control has more than two knobs and/or often more
          than three fan speed selections.  You usually  have some sort of
          manual override so that you can force the air to come out defroster
          or heater vents, at your preference, and be warm or cool.
          > If you only have two switches, it sound more like an add-on (not
          factory installed) a/c system.  If it is like the old 77 Dodge van
          our family used to own, indeed one selects fan speed and turns the
          whole system off.  The other selects the point where the a/c
          compressor kicks in.
          > Could the relay sound indeed be the compressor clutch engaging?  Or
          perhaps it is a relay that feeds the compressor clutch circuit?
          > Yes, you should be able to get air circulating even without the
          compressor.

        • John
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
            I will trace wires from the fan switch and temp control and see where
            they lead..

            Yep did wonder if I was hearing AC clutch engaugement but sounded
            more right of engine bay than that, will get some help to 'feel' if
            it is indeed the cutch engaging that I can hear ;)

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jgra1@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Jabba
            >
            > sorry, 1984 23' RV..
            >
            > running over the AC core, there is a thin metal tube which runs
            into
            > the rotating switch (thermostat?) on the dash.. so I am guessing
            the
            > switch will cut/add AC when by 'sensing' the temp from this tube...
            >
            > The system is odd, in that there are two blowers, one does warm air
            > through heater core, and blows to screen and/or feet.
            >
            > The other is the AC blower which blows cool/cold air through vents
            on
            > dash.. It's different from say my european car where the whole
            > system is combined..
            >
            > John
            >

            > > What year van?
            > > Usually climate control has more than two knobs and/or often more
            > than three fan speed selections.  You usually  have some sort of
            > manual override so that you can force the air to come out defroster
            > or heater vents, at your preference, and be warm or cool.
            > > If you only have two switches, it sound more like an add-on (not
            > factory installed) a/c system.  If it is like the old 77 Dodge van
            > our family used to own, indeed one selects fan speed and turns the
            > whole system off.  The other selects the point where the a/c
            > compressor kicks in.
            > > Could the relay sound indeed be the compressor clutch engaging?
            Or
            > perhaps it is a relay that feeds the compressor clutch circuit?
            > > Yes, you should be able to get air circulating even without the
            > compressor.

          • Mike VanPelt
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
              John -

              Remind us (actually "me") - what model rig do you have?

              Mike

              ======================

              Cindy & Mike VanPelt

              - Libby & Darcy

              Milwaukee, WI, USA

              1997 Itasca Spirit 21RK Class C

              - 21', Ford E350, 460V8

              1979 Champion TransVan Model 604 Class B+

              -19', Dodge B300 Sportsman, 360V8

            • John
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
                hi Mike,

                it's a GMC G30 350Ci Gas 'Midas Freeport' RV

                John

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
                  John -

                  Here's some stuff I've found, some for someone else, some just now thru
                  Google -

                  http://www.henry-davis.com/GMC/

                  http://www.henry-davis.com/GMC/Sandy/

                  http://www.bdub.net/wirediagrams/index.html (mostly for older GMC's but good
                  reference anyway)

                  http://www.appliedgmc.com/ (more for reference than anything else)

                  Hope some helps.

                  Mike

                  ======================

                  Cindy & Mike VanPelt

                  - Libby & Darcy

                  Milwaukee, WI, USA

                  1997 Itasca Spirit 21RK Class C

                  - 21', Ford E350, 460V8

                  1979 Champion TransVan Model 604 Class B+

                  -19', Dodge B300 Sportsman, 360V8

                • John G
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
                    Very helpful Mike :)

                    will have a look in an hour, and get my test light out .. I did hunt around google earlier but I may have been searching the UK pages, dooh...

                    Haynes manual maybe a good option, as my Chilton one doesnt really like electric diagrams etc :)

                    To: classicrv@yahoogroups.comFrom: mvp1114@...: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:48:14 -0500Subject: RE: [classicrv] Chevy AC questions - G30

                    John - Here's some stuff I've found, some for someone else, some just now thruGoogle - http://www.henry-davis.com/GMC/http://www.henry-davis.com/GMC/Sandy/http://www.bdub.net/wirediagrams/index.html (mostly for older GMC's but goodreference anyway)http://www.appliedgmc.com/ (more for reference than anything else)Hope some helps.Mike======================Cindy & Mike VanPelt- Libby & DarcyMilwaukee, WI, USA1997 Itasca Spirit 21RK Class C- 21', Ford E350, 460V81979 Champion TransVan Model 604 Class B+-19', Dodge B300 Sportsman, 360V8[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
                      ok made some progress ;)

                      basically.. if a flap in the heater core is in a certain position,
                      power will flow to the cold air fan and also the AC temp knob..
                      I am guessing this is to recirc air so as not to waste [gain]
                      energy... or simply to 'ban' cold air if warm is also asked for first...

                      if I by pass this flap and it's dodgy? contact, and send a current
                      straight to the destination, I can get the cold air blower off /1 and
                      2, if I connect the burn't out wire i get 3 too :)

                      so I have 3 speeds on heater blower and three speeds on cold blower.

                      If I then turn the AC cooling knob on, the AC clutch engages, and
                      presumably if the engine ran, I may even have AC :)

                      two more things..

                      the current that is allowed to pass to AC if the flap is closed - the
                      flap seems to be partly vacumn operated... I am guessing you can't
                      have cold air blower going until the engine has warmed up...o9r something

                      also, the same wire from the heater core goes into yet another vac
                      swtich, before it is allowed onwards to AC and cold air.. maybe you
                      have to have engine running before cold air and ac allowed... i.e a
                      vac signal..

                      anyway, I dont care :) I am much happier now.. I understand the
                      heating and cooling much better already..

                      John

                      ps shame summer is over ! lol
                    • JerryK
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
                        John,
                        Just to muddy up the waters some more. . . .  Most GM's, and I suspect other brands as well, will run the AC if the heater is set to defrost or defog.  That forces the warm air for the defroster/defogger to pass over the AC cooling coils as well as the heater coils for the purpose of dehumidifying the defroster/defogger air and preventing water from forming on the interior sides of the windows.
                        JerryK

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 2, 2008
                          I believe the relay you are hearing is the high fan speed switch, it is activated on high fan speed and is a direct link between battery + and blower motor thru a fuse or fuselink. the relay is under the hood usually near blower. The relay is energized by a + feed from fan switch, in lower speeds the relay is not energized and output of the fan switch/resistor coils goes thru relay to the blower motor. This is how it was done in many Chevy's with AC. Phil
                        • John
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 4, 2008
                            All,

                            would any of you like lots of $$ to receive a heater core and ship it
                            on to me in UK ? :)

                            I suppose it will take a while for shipping to me though :((

                            John
                          • Billy Mason
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 4, 2008
                              so you need a heater core... have you tired looking at sites on the www for
                              it..
                              billy
                              > would any of you like lots of $$ to receive a heater core and ship it
                              > on to me in UK ? :)
                              >
                              > I suppose it will take a while for shipping to me though :((
                              >
                              > John

                            • John
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 4, 2008
                                Hi Billy..

                                I have found a core on the WWW, new and cheap in the US, partstrain I
                                think are the company...but they wont ship internationally....

                                Thankfully a member on here has already offered a possible lead on
                                getting the core to me.

                                Sorry this has gone a bit off topic, basically the original post was
                                about some AC questions which I think I have worked out, the reason I
                                got to work on the AC area of the van was because I had to remove the
                                heater core as it leaks...

                                John

                                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Mason" <southernmutt@...>
                                wrote:

                                > so you need a heater core... have you tired looking at sites on the
                                www for
                                > it..
                                > billy

                              • Billy Mason
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 4, 2008
                                  no problem. not off topic to me.. just ask away if you need more help
                                  billy
                                  > I have found a core on the WWW, new and cheap in the US, partstrain I
                                  > think are the company...but they wont ship internationally....
                                  >
                                  > Thankfully a member on here has already offered a possible lead on
                                  > getting the core to me.
                                  >
                                  > Sorry this has gone a bit off topic, basically the original post was
                                  > about some AC questions which I think I have worked out, the reason I
                                  > got to work on the AC area of the van was because I had to remove the
                                  > heater core as it leaks...
                                  >
                                  > John
                                  >
                                  > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Mason" <southernmutt@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> so you need a heater core... have you tired looking at sites on the
                                  > www for
                                  >> it..
                                  >> billy

                                • Lynnie Whitefield
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 4, 2008
                                    Lots of $$$???? Watch out!
                                    Do you want to buy some lakefront property in Arizona??

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 4, 2008
                                      lol ;)

                                      is there any water in Az?>

                                      John

                                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Lynnie Whitefield" <birdman1@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Lots of $$$???? Watch out!
                                      > Do you want to buy some lakefront property in Arizona??

                                      9/3/2008 7:15 AM

                                    • Lynnie Whitefield
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 4, 2008
                                        John if you are legitimate I appoligize. Your offer sounded like a scam offering lots of $$$ just to buy a part and send it to you.

                                        No I don't know of any lakes in Arizona, if there is they are few.

                                        Lynnie

                                        > Do you want to buy some lakefront property in Arizona??

                                        9/3/2008 7:15 AM

                                      • John
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 4, 2008
                                          sorry Lynnie yes I am legit :0 just my odd way of communicating

                                          the lots of $$ was to show I am desperate , over here in UK with not a
                                          chevy part in sight :(((

                                          :)

                                          wrote:

                                          > John if you are legitimate I appoligize. Your offer sounded like a
                                          scam offering lots of $$$ just to buy a part and send it to you.

                                          > No I don't know of any lakes in Arizona, if there is they are few.
                                          >
                                          > Lynnie

                                          9/3/2008 7:15 AM

                                        • Lynnie Whitefield
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 4, 2008
                                            John,

                                            I apoligize again as I know how difficult it is to get parts for older vehicles here.

                                            I have a couple of cars 45 and 43 years old and I know what it is to find some parts. The reason I selected a Class C motorhome was that I knew that parts would be easier to find as the coach got older.

                                            The reason I questioned you post was because some people here have been scammed by folks sending bogus checks for cars or items above the cost of the item and wanting you to send the excess to another address. You write a check to send and find out the check they sent you is bogus. But I guess this goes on world wide and not only here.

                                            Best Regards,

                                            Lynnie Whitefield

                                            wrote:

                                            > John if you are legitimate I appoligize. Your offer sounded like a
                                            scam offering lots of $$$ just to buy a part and send it to you.

                                            > No I don't know of any lakes in Arizona, if there is they are few.
                                            >
                                            > Lynnie

                                            9/3/2008 7:15 AM

                                          • Penny
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 4, 2008

                                              John, As one Brit to another, I didn't take your message the way some
                                              folks did. If you want to buy it, and have it shipped to me in TX, I'll
                                              get it sent on to you. I have no use for it,as I am an old great
                                              grandma, with a good reputation. I have references....Happy Trails,
                                              Penny, TX
                                            • Dutch
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 4, 2008
                                                There is that little pond in AZ where the London Bridge now lives...

                                                http://www.golakehavasu.com

                                                Dutch

                                                wrote:

                                                > John if you are legitimate I appoligize. Your offer sounded like a
                                                scam offering lots of $$$ just to buy a part and send it to you.

                                                > No I don't know of any lakes in Arizona, if there is they are few.
                                                >
                                                > Lynnie

                                                9/3/2008 7:15 AM

                                              • Scott Williams
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 6, 2008
                                                  John,

                                                  Rockauto.com appears to ship overseas. They have some of the best parts
                                                  prices I've found, and I've been very impressed with their service the
                                                  few times I've used them.

                                                  Just as an example, their cheapest core for a '78 G30 (I don't remember
                                                  the year of yours) shipped the cheapest option, would be $86.39
                                                  delivered to London. Probably cheaper than I would have to pay for a
                                                  heater core for a British car.

                                                  For comparison, the same part shipped to my door here in western New
                                                  York state is $29.78.

                                                  I have no experience using this company for overseas purchasing, but
                                                  have confidence in them and the products they carry.

                                                  Scott in Penfield NY
                                                  1983 Shasta/Sportscoach 33' SB Roadmaster (Class A 454 P30)

                                                  John wrote:
                                                  > All,
                                                  >
                                                  > would any of you like lots of $$ to receive a heater core and ship it
                                                  > on to me in UK ? :)
                                                  >
                                                  > I suppose it will take a while for shipping to me though :((
                                                  >
                                                  > John

                                                • John
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Sep 6, 2008
                                                    Many thanks Scott , and Penny.

                                                    Bob Ross was the first to offer himself as a shipper and has my
                                                    gratitude too!.

                                                    I have another option, my Boss is in Houston this week, so I will see
                                                    if partstrain can ship to his hotel and I may have the core this time
                                                    next week :)

                                                    Will definately take a look at Rockauto, as there are bound to be
                                                    other bits I need as time goes on.

                                                    John