water pump

  • Bobbie
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2008
      Our water pump is not putting out much pressure. Water flow is very light. What could
      be the problem? Our pump is not working as well as when we bought the Class A in 2002.
      It is an Airex by Rexhall, 30'. It is a 1989 model.

      Is there a pressure gauge to check the pump's pressure? How do we know if we need a new
      pump and is it something we can install or do we need an expert?

      Bobbie
    • Scott Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2008
        Most RV maintenance and repair books show how to disassemble the pump.
        I would take it apart and make sure it wasn't just clogged with crud or
        sticking somewhere. That could be the reason for the reduced pressure.

        If you go to

        http://www.shurflo.com

        and look at their RV pumps -> Automatic Demand Pumps, and select the
        "Standard Pump" then click on the "Replacement Parts" link, you'll see
        an exploded diagram showing the parts inside the pump. Item number 2 in
        that picture is the valve assembly, if crud gets in a valve it won't
        close completely and will leak water pressure. Repair parts are
        available, I know West Marine carries them (http://www.westmarine.com)
        but I assume RV places do as well.

        If you do need a new pump, here is a good source for new ones:

        http://www.pplmotorhomes.com

        The "Standard" pump is available for $60 on sale right now.

        Scott in Penfield NY