Re: [classicrv] well i been thinking it over

  • Tom K
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2008
      Gear Vender units have been out for many years now, so I wonder if it's possible to find a used Gear Vender unit somewhere.

      Friends recently bought a 1991 23' class A motorhome with a Dodge 360 that to their surprise had a Gear Vendor unit in it.

      Would it have to be specific for a motorhome or will any Gear Vender unit that fits the transmission be of the strength to handle the RV load.

      Tom K
      Charlotte, NC

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1 3:37 AM
        ive never found one used.. but then i wasnt looking for one then either..i
        hear they are good to have..even if you only gained a couple of mpg more,
        its better than gettign 5 to 7 if your lucky...
        > Gear Vender units have been out for many years now, so I wonder if it's
        > possible to find a used Gear Vender unit somewhere.
        >
        > Friends recently bought a 1991 23' class A motorhome with a Dodge 360 that
        > to their surprise had a Gear Vendor unit in it.
        >
        > Would it have to be specific for a motorhome or will any Gear Vender unit
        > that fits the transmission be of the strength to handle the RV load.
        >
        > Tom K
        > Charlotte, NC

      • Warren
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1 8:42 AM
          Lol. Yup, That would do it.

          I use the wifes car when I'm not towing. That improves my fuel economy by
          quite a bit.

          Every option to improve fuel economy has its draw backs and advantages.
          Have to weight the pros and cons to see if it is cost effective. And so far.
          I have determined for me...It isn't cost effective. Especially since my old
          suburban works just fine as it is and I don't have the extra $ laying around
          right now to consider the changes.

          I have considered an Over drive add on tranny versus replacing the tranny
          with one that has an over drive as well as high air flow intake and exhaust
          systems, etc... and have found form my research that I might improve my fuel
          economy by maybe 1 or 2 mpg. (would take me a life time to see the return on
          the cost) I can get better than that by slowing down to 55 mph and that
          doesn't cost me any more than just a bit of driving time and irritates those
          that like to go fast in the slow lane.

          1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban. (10 mpg city, 11.5 mpg at 70 mph, 14.5 mpg at 55
          mph)

          On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:56 PM, bob woods <rwoods9230@...> wrote:

          > Warren, you can always use oversized tires when not towing. bob woods

        • Warren
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1 8:50 AM
            There are many things one can to to improve fuel usage.
            1. Get a High air flow air intake system and a high air flow exhaust.
            Doesn't mean a loud muffler either. (costly)
            2. Improve the aerodynamics of the body of the motor home/travel trailer to
            reduce drag and turbulence. (costly)
            3. Add an over drive unit to the trans like Gear vendor. (costly)
            4. just slow down. Don't exceed 55 and if the speed limit is 55 or below, do
            5 under. (Free and saves fuel)
            5. Do 1, 2 and 3.
            6 Do 1, 2, 3 and 4

            Happy campin yall.

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1 8:54 AM
              I was laughing about how my favored model of RV (a 21' Lesharo) is used as a towed vehicle behind big diesel bus types. Painted to match. Wonderful excess!! :) Only in America!!

              Right now, my 4 cyl Lesharo is my most fuel efficient vehicle at 15/16 mpg. My loaded work vans are getting 8 to 11 mpg and not comfortable (no AC either). I'll often choose to tow lightweight tools and materials on my lightweight flatbed or large hitch hauler to a home repair/remodel jobsite with the Lesharo. Than I have my cold drinks, a private bathroom and food if I wish. :) Sometimes when the site is an hour or so away, I'll just stay on site to complete the job sooner and avoid unnecessary driving, netting more profit.

              Tom K
              Charlotte, NC
              1988 Lesharo

              I use the wifes car when I'm not towing. That improves my fuel economy by
              quite a bit.

              Every option to improve fuel economy has its draw backs and advantages.
              Have to weight the pros and cons to see if it is cost effective. And so far.
              I have determined for me...It isn't cost effective. Especially since my old
              suburban works just fine as it is and I don't have the extra $ laying around
              right now to consider the changes.

              I have considered an Over drive add on tranny versus replacing the tranny
              with one that has an over drive as well as high air flow intake and exhaust
              systems, etc... and have found form my research that I might improve my fuel
              economy by maybe 1 or 2 mpg. (would take me a life time to see the return on
              the cost) I can get better than that by slowing down to 55 mph and that
              doesn't cost me any more than just a bit of driving time and irritates those
              that like to go fast in the slow lane.

              1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban. (10 mpg city, 11.5 mpg at 70 mph, 14.5 mpg at 55
              mph)
              1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Run Away Sue)
              Western KY

              On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:56 PM, bob woods <rwoods9230@...> wrote:

              > Warren, you can always use oversized tires when not towing. bob woods

            • Jon Bush Sr.
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1 7:18 PM
                I have a gear vendor installed in an E350 long wheel base 89 Ford
                van, 460 EFI V8. My gear vendor is a 22% overdrive. When I was using
                it to tow trailers, I could use the gear vendor to 'split' the 3
                speed automatic transmission gears going up hills when necessary. The
                gear vendor replaces the stardard automatic transmission tailshaft
                and a new shortened drive shaft is installed. It is my understanding
                that used gear vendors can be modified for any vehicle for about one-
                third the cost of a new installation. My gear vendor installation 5
                years ago was about $4K.

                Jon

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Tom K" <tkoro@...> wrote:

                > Gear Vender units have been out for many years now, so I wonder if
                it's possible to find a used Gear Vender unit somewhere.

                > Friends recently bought a 1991 23' class A motorhome with a Dodge
                360 that to their surprise had a Gear Vendor unit in it.

                > Would it have to be specific for a motorhome or will any Gear
                Vender unit that fits the transmission be of the strength to handle
                the RV load.

                > Tom K
                > Charlotte, NC

              • Tom K
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1 7:30 PM
                  Just for the heck of it, I tried a search for "gear vendor" on Ebay and found many items.
                  Tom K
                  Charlotte, NC

                  I have a gear vendor installed in an E350 long wheel base 89 Ford
                  van, 460 EFI V8. My gear vendor is a 22% overdrive. When I was using
                  it to tow trailers, I could use the gear vendor to 'split' the 3
                  speed automatic transmission gears going up hills when necessary. The
                  gear vendor replaces the stardard automatic transmission tailshaft
                  and a new shortened drive shaft is installed. It is my understanding
                  that used gear vendors can be modified for any vehicle for about one-
                  third the cost of a new installation. My gear vendor installation 5
                  years ago was about $4K.

                  Jon

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Tom K" <tkoro@...> wrote:

                  > Gear Vender units have been out for many years now, so I wonder if
                  it's possible to find a used Gear Vender unit somewhere.

                  > Friends recently bought a 1991 23' class A motorhome with a Dodge
                  360 that to their surprise had a Gear Vendor unit in it.

                  > Would it have to be specific for a motorhome or will any Gear
                  Vender unit that fits the transmission be of the strength to handle
                  the RV load.

                  > Tom K
                  > Charlotte, NC

                • Scott Williams
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2 8:14 AM
                    A search for "Gear Vendors" will also get more. Putting this in the
                    search field:

                    (gear vendors, gear vendor, gearvendors, gearvendor)

                    will get the most hits. I see one TH400 unit for sale, who knows how
                    much it will go for.

                    Looking at completed auctions, it seems the OD units go for between $900
                    to $1500 (which may or may not include an adapter for the transmission
                    you have), and an adapter for a TH400 transmission goes for around $400.

                    Not too bad, 50% of retail or less.

                    Scott in Penfield NY

                    Tom K wrote:
                    > Just for the heck of it, I tried a search for "gear vendor" on Ebay and found many items.
                    > Tom K
                    > Charlotte, NC

                  • Billy Mason
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 2 9:47 AM
                      those prices are nto to bad.. my problem with buying them off evil bay, i
                      dont know who im buying them from, or how they were treated b4 i bought
                      them.. im not a trusting person whe it comes to me handing over large
                      amounts of money..
                      anouther way to go will be
                      advance adaptors, the ake adaptors to bolt trannsmissions to motors.. so
                      should be able to get one of those to fit my 440, then go to a junk yard and
                      get a tranny with over drive.. personaly id rather have a stick.. im not
                      sure where im going or what im going to do with mine. i do know this is not
                      my last motor home, i dont like the lay out of it enough to keep it forever,
                      now if it was another 15 foot or so longer i might consider it...

                      billy