Re: [classicrv] What about Electric fuel pump

  • Billy Mason
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2008
      sometimes people add a after maket elctric pump, those you have to put a
      switch on to turn on and off...ive done this on a couple of trucks in the
      past.. if yours is factory, it should be wired in and work off the key..if
      it is leaking from the top of the tank, it could be the seal on top, the one
      where when you take out the sending unit and stuff... if your gas gauge
      doesnt work this will be the time to get all that stuff replaced..hopefully
      you dont have a full tank of gas, just makes is harder to get out when the
      tank is full..

      billy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2008
        > > I have gas leaking from the top of my gas tank (83 Pace Arrow 32')
        > > Looks like a electric pump was added and is not working any more.
        > > Haven't found source of leak yet but want to replace the pump on
        top of
        > > the tank.
        > > A RV book says the pump should be lower than the tank and have a oil
        > > pressure switch so if the engine is not running,the pump will not
        work.
        > > How does that work, if the engine is not running how can the pump
        run
        > > to start it?? Any thoughts on this

        First; is the vehicle actually in running condition? This has me
        puzzled from your OP. This "looks like an added electric pump"...is it
        just along for the ride and another pump elsewhere handling the fuel
        delivery, or do you absolutely need to replace it to get the camper
        into running condition?
        Second; Best advice I can give on locating the leak (and replacing the
        pump) is to drop the tank. Get it in the open where you can see what's
        up. Examine it closely, looking for your leak source. If it's a plastic
        tank it may be cracked on top after 25 years. That can be fixed in a
        variety of ways, but let's see what the problem actually is.
        Third; If you are quoting the book exactly, than they mis-spoke. An
        electric fuel pump is normally wired into the ignition circuit. That's
        one of the clicking or purring noises you hear when you flip on the key
        but before you engage the starter, the electric fuel pump pressurizing
        your line. Flip on the key. The pump clicks on and pumps fuel. Once the
        line is pressurized the pump shuts off. The car starts, the pressure
        drops as the fuel starts to flow, and the pump engages again.

        Tom
      • Harold Timmons
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2008
          -Tom: Book says pressure switch would cut off pump in case of an
          accident. Vechicle hasn't been used in several years, I did drive it
          home (30 miles) and to the garage to get brakes. When I went to fill
          the tank ,I noticed gas pouring from somewhere near the back of the
          tank, this happened after about 10 gals and I prob. had 8 in it. The
          lady I got it from said they noticed this if they put the nozzle too
          far into the filler neck. The pump does not activate when I turn the
          ignition switch on , haven't found an on/off switch for the pump yet.
          I have opened a hole in the floor above the sending unit and found 5
          openings with hoses attached: I assume elec. pump to engine, one to
          generator, one goig to front for return??, Big hose for vent and ??
          on smaller hose going to rear. I think I will cover the hole
          w/plexiglass(to keep fumes out of MH and put gas in to see .
          Harold

          ->
          > First; is the vehicle actually in running condition? This has me
          > puzzled from your OP. This "looks like an added electric pump"...is
          it
          > just along for the ride and another pump elsewhere handling the
          fuel
          > delivery, or do you absolutely need to replace it to get the camper
          > into running condition?
          > Second; Best advice I can give on locating the leak (and replacing
          the
          > pump) is to drop the tank. Get it in the open where you can see
          what's
          > up. Examine it closely, looking for your leak source. If it's a
          plastic
          > tank it may be cracked on top after 25 years. That can be fixed in
          > variety of ways, but let's see what the problem actually is.
          > Third; If you are quoting the book exactly, than they mis-spoke. An
          > electric fuel pump is normally wired into the ignition circuit.
          That's
          > one of the clicking or purring noises you hear when you flip on the
          key
          > but before you engage the starter, the electric fuel pump
          pressurizing
          > your line. Flip on the key. The pump clicks on and pumps fuel. Once
          the
          > line is pressurized the pump shuts off. The car starts, the
          pressure
          > drops as the fuel starts to flow, and the pump engages again.
          >
          > Tom

        • dbaxley
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2008
            HI, I'm a bit late on this but having just (like yesterday) dropped my
            gas tank from under my 28' Revcon I have a pretty good idea of wht is
            envolved. First you say gas is leaking out from the top of the tank
            with only 18 gallons loaded? Sorry, that ain't so. I think you
            accidently misled everyone with that comment. So, some suggest a break
            in the tank itself but I'm going to sugest you go to the large (2- 2
            1/2") fill tube as it goes into the side of the tank. Gas, like water,
            runs in many different directions before it dumps opn the ground. Have
            a look at where the gas actually enters the tank. To get a 50+ tank to
            leak from the top you have to have the tank full. So, if it is not the
            fill neck it is then a busted tank. The small tube toward the bak of
            the tank is to the Gen set.

            I'm looking to replace the mechanical fuel pump with and electric. Any
            suggestions from anyone about the right type or brand to use?

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Timmons" <cam1nut@...> wrote:

            > -Tom: Book says pressure switch would cut off pump in case of an
            > accident. Vechicle hasn't been used in several years, I did drive it
            > home (30 miles) and to the garage to get brakes. When I went to fill
            > the tank ,I noticed gas pouring from somewhere near the back of the
            > tank, this happened after about 10 gals and I prob. had 8 in it. The
            > lady I got it from said they noticed this if they put the nozzle too
            > far into the filler neck. The pump does not activate when I turn the
            > ignition switch on , haven't found an on/off switch for the pump yet.
            > I have opened a hole in the floor above the sending unit and found 5
            > openings with hoses attached: I assume elec. pump to engine, one to
            > generator, one goig to front for return??, Big hose for vent and ??
            > on smaller hose going to rear. I think I will cover the hole
            > w/plexiglass(to keep fumes out of MH and put gas in to see .
            > Harold
            >

            > ->
            > > First; is the vehicle actually in running condition? This has me
            > > puzzled from your OP. This "looks like an added electric pump"...is
            > it
            > > just along for the ride and another pump elsewhere handling the
            > fuel
            > > delivery, or do you absolutely need to replace it to get the camper
            > > into running condition?
            > > Second; Best advice I can give on locating the leak (and replacing
            > the
            > > pump) is to drop the tank. Get it in the open where you can see
            > what's
            > > up. Examine it closely, looking for your leak source. If it's a
            > plastic
            > > tank it may be cracked on top after 25 years. That can be fixed in
            > > variety of ways, but let's see what the problem actually is.
            > > Third; If you are quoting the book exactly, than they mis-spoke. An
            > > electric fuel pump is normally wired into the ignition circuit.
            > That's
            > > one of the clicking or purring noises you hear when you flip on the
            > key
            > > but before you engage the starter, the electric fuel pump
            > pressurizing
            > > your line. Flip on the key. The pump clicks on and pumps fuel. Once
            > the
            > > line is pressurized the pump shuts off. The car starts, the
            > pressure
            > > drops as the fuel starts to flow, and the pump engages again.
            > >
            > > Tom

          • Leeann
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2008
              > > -Tom: Book says pressure switch would cut off pump in case of an
              > > accident. Vechicle hasn't been used in several years, I did drive it
              > > home (30 miles) and to the garage to get brakes. When I went to fill
              > > the tank ,I noticed gas pouring from somewhere near the back of the
              > > tank, this happened after about 10 gals and I prob. had 8 in it. The
              > > lady I got it from said they noticed this if they put the nozzle too
              > > far into the filler neck. The pump does not activate when I turn the
              > > ignition switch on , haven't found an on/off switch for the pump yet.
              > > I have opened a hole in the floor above the sending unit and found 5
              > > openings with hoses attached: I assume elec. pump to engine, one to
              > > generator, one goig to front for return??, Big hose for vent and ??
              > > on smaller hose going to rear. I think I will cover the hole
              > > w/plexiglass(to keep fumes out of MH and put gas in to see .
              > > Harold

              I'm more inclined to think the vent hose is cracked/torn/missing at some point or the fill
              hose has some little hole in it. Check the fill hose (12") or the vent hose (5/8" or 1/2",
              something like that) that comes off it a couple inches down from the filler and goes to
              the tank.

              I'd bet the fuel is coming out of one of the hoses and running down it to the tank, then
              pouring off the tank.
            • Harold Timmons
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2008
                - My first thought was the filler neck to tank and I did see evidence
                of fuel on the side under the connection, however upon closer
                inspection I saw the gas was runnning down from higher up. There is
                only a 4" gap between the tank and the floor of the MH, so I stuck my
                digital camera in the gap and fired away. The photos show a elec. pump
                wrapped in gas soak foam packing material(to keep it from bounceing
                around and rattleing???). Thats when I cut the hole in the floor and
                found the top of the tank covered with dry oily residue that I assume
                is dried gas. I am now trying to determine if there is voltage to the
                pump and to trace the wire going to it.
                Harold