Re: HELP (Shore power problem) update & solution & a new question

  • wpmartin55
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008

      > We ended up going thru every individual wiring run, like Jon
      suggested, and
      > eventually found a single-outlet run (actually the one the heater was
      > plugged into :-( ) that had an internal, inside-the-insulation fault
      in the
      > WHITE/COMMON wire - nothing showing on the outside as far as we can
      see,

      So glad you got it figured out! My Dad, the electrical trouble
      shooter, would have told you, "since it went out when the heat was on,
      be suspicious of the heater or the heater circuit". Sorry I didn't
      share that bit of information sooner. :) Electrical problems are the
      worst to solve, I think. We have a car batter constantly being run
      down by ?? We can't find the source. Have fun!
      Cindy M.
    • Dutch
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
        Wasn't that circuit connected to one of the breakers you removed for
        testing, Mike? How many watts does the heater draw?

        Dutch

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

        > Well, here's the poop on our problem child. First, thanks to David,
        > Jon, Dutch, Bob, Dale, Jack, Ron, Jerry, and everyone else who
        > chipped in with their help. If y'all can remember back to the
        > beginning of this thread, we had taken Flash out on a fishing trip,
        > got to the campground late, pulled in, plugged in, got the little
        > heater going, and crashed for the night. We woke up cold the next
        > morning with our rig tripping the shore power but not our internal
        > breakers.
        >
        > Everything we tried came up bupkis, and all the ideas we got from
        > everyone else didn't pan out. What foxed me out was that both of
        > the breakers were physically pulled out of the breaker box but the
        > shore power was still tripping.
        >
        > We ended up going thru every individual wiring run, like Jon
        > suggested, and eventually found a single-outlet run (actually the
        > one the heater was plugged into :-( ) that had an internal,
        > inside-the-insulation fault in the WHITE/COMMON wire - nothing
        > showing on the outside as far as we can see, but it's sandwiched
        > inside the wall of the closet, so couldn't see for sure. I'd checked
        > the outlet before and it was fine, so I didn't bother checking it
        > any further the first time. I didn't think the dinky little,
        > plastic housing, Wal-Mart electric heater even drew enough to cause
        > a problem - but it must have. Still doesn't make sense, why it
        > would crap out, and crap out that way. The heater still seems to
        > work just fine but I'm going to toss it anyway just on general
        > principles.
        >
        > Well, since we're planning on replacing the cabinets on that side of
        > the coach this summer anyway, we just disconnected that run and
        > wa-lah - we have our 110v system again.
        >
        > So, here's the new question: The rest of the wiring is just as old.
        > Should I think about replacing as much of it as I can?
        >
        > Thanks again, everyone.
        >
        > Mike
      • Jerry Noone
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
          v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}..shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
          Mike

          Glad you resolved that issue. As to the rest of the wiring,remember that there are thousands of miles around the country that are olderthan yours. However, wire is cheap (well, sorta cheap) so I might suggest thatsince you are doing some work in the rig, you might try pulling off an out lethere and there and yanking on the wires to see if they would pull from thesource without opening the walls. Sometimes the wires are run without beingattached to anything. In those cases, it might be possible to tie the new wireto the old and just pull the old out and the new in. It won’t likely workwith all of the wiring (maybe none of it) but I did get that to work on aprevious rig that I had to do about half of it. It’s most likely thatyour current problem was just a fluke caused by something shifting and pinchingthe wire – not actually bad wire – so it’s probably not a bigdeal for the rest of your wiring anyway.

          Just my thoughts,

          Jerry

[...]

          WHITE/COMMON wire - nothing showing on the outside as far as we can see, but
          it's sandwiched inside the wall of the closet, so couldn't see for sure.
          I'd checked the outlet before and it was fine, so I didn't bother checking
          it any further the first time. I didn't think the dinky little, plastic
          housing, Wal-Mart electric heater even drew enough to cause a problem - but
          it must have. Still doesn't make sense, why it would crap out, and crap out
          that way. The heater still seems to work just fine but I'm going to toss it
          anyway just on general principles.

          Well, since we're planning on replacing the cabinets on that side of the
          coach this summer anyway, we just disconnected that run and wa-lah - we have
          our 110v system again.

          So, here's the new question: The rest of the wiring is just as old. Should
          I think about replacing as much of it as I can?

          Thanks again, everyone.

          Mike

          ============================

          Mike VanPelt

          Director of Bands & Orchestras

          Riverside University High School

          1615 E Locust St

          Milwaukee, WI 53221

          414-906-5035 (w)

          414-507-1408 (c)

          414-304-1273 (h)

          414-906-4915 (FAX)

          vanpemr@.....k12.wi.us

          mvp1114@...

          ---------------------------------

          I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for privateusers.
          It has removed 1998 spam emails to date.
          Try SPAMfighter for free now!

        • r and r
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
            that is definitely odd.

            while you have everything out i would suggest replacing all the
            wiring. be sure to match wire gauge to breaker size.

            one big question.....is the wiring aluminum? if it is go ahead and
            rewire the complete system.

            good luck!!!

          • Mike VanPelt
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
              Nope, no aluminiminiminimum wire - that'd have been gone instantly had I
              seen it. Good ol' solid copper 12/2.

              Mike

              ============================

              _____

              --- In classicrv@yahoogrou <mailto:classicrv%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,
              "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

              > Well, here's the poop on our problem child. First, thanks to David,
              Jon,
              > Dutch, Bob, Dale, Jack, Ron, Jerry, and everyone else who chipped in
              with
              > their help. If y'all can remember back to the beginning of this
              thread, we
              > had taken Flash out on a fishing trip, got to the campground late,
              pulled
              > in, plugged in, got the little heater going, and crashed for the
              night. We
              > woke up cold the next morning with our rig tripping the shore power
              but not
              > our internal breakers.
              >

              > Everything we tried came up bupkis, and all the ideas we got from
              everyone
              > else didn't pan out. What foxed me out was that both of the
              breakers were
              > physically pulled out of the breaker box but the shore power was still
              > tripping.
              >

              > We ended up going thru every individual wiring run, like Jon
              suggested, and
              > eventually found a single-outlet run (actually the one the heater was
              > plugged into :-( ) that had an internal, inside-the-insulation fault
              in the
              > WHITE/COMMON wire - nothing showing on the outside as far as we can
              see, but
              > it's sandwiched inside the wall of the closet, so couldn't see for sure.
              > I'd checked the outlet before and it was fine, so I didn't bother
              checking
              > it any further the first time. I didn't think the dinky little, plastic
              > housing, Wal-Mart electric heater even drew enough to cause a
              problem - but
              > it must have. Still doesn't make sense, why it would crap out, and
              crap out
              > that way. The heater still seems to work just fine but I'm going to
              toss it
              > anyway just on general principles.
              >

              > Well, since we're planning on replacing the cabinets on that side of the
              > coach this summer anyway, we just disconnected that run and wa-lah -
              we have
              > our 110v system again.
              >

              > So, here's the new question: The rest of the wiring is just as old.
              Should
              > I think about replacing as much of it as I can?
              >

              > Thanks again, everyone.
              >

              > Mike
              >

              > ============================
              >
              > Mike VanPelt
              >
              > Director of Bands & Orchestras
              >
              > Riverside University High School
              >
              > 1615 E Locust St
              >
              > Milwaukee, WI 53221
              >
              > 414-906-5035 (w)
              >
              > 414-507-1408 (c)
              >
              > 414-304-1273 (h)
              >
              > 414-906-4915 (FAX)
              >
              > vanpemr@...
              >
              > mvp1114@...

            • Mike VanPelt
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
                Yes, I kinda plan on that now - fishing it through wherever I can.

                Mike

                ============================

                vanpemr@mail. <mailto:vanpemr%40mail.milwaukee..k12.wi.us>
                milwaukee..k12.wi.us

                mvp1114@ameritech. <mailto:mvp1114%40ameritech.net> net

              • Mike VanPelt
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
                  Dutch -

                  Yes, as a matter of fact it was, but it was on a "stub" wiring run - I
                  thought everything on the driver's side was just in series; turns out there
                  was a short 4' run to this outlet spliced into the driver's side run that I
                  didn't know about, so when I initially just checked @ the end of the run it
                  didn't show as a problem.

                  The original driver's run ended @ the 'fridge outlet - there was a 2-way
                  AmFridge (12v/110v) on the very end of the driver's side run at one time. I
                  removed and capped off the 110v line after we pulled it out (it was
                  non-functional), so I assumed I knew what was going on in that area (there's
                  just another example of how "ASSUME usually turns into "make an ASS of U and
                  ME" - you'd "assume" that I'd learn :-) ). I've got the original Champion
                  coach manual, with two or three very general coach wiring schematics for
                  different models and I don't remember any of those having a dead-end run
                  there. I'm wondering if it's a "PO" - previous owner - addition or if it
                  was just a standard thing that was sometimes added on my model.

                  We've used that heater before all night in place of the furnace, in that
                  particular outlet - with two adults and two dogs, it was all we needed even
                  in February in a snowstorm overnight; it had a rudimentary thermostat
                  (low/med/hi) and would kick on & off as necessary. It's only a 1200W heater
                  on its highest setting. I guess it must have been just enough that evening.
                  Maybe something pinched on the drive out and there was just enough draw on
                  that circuit to cause the fault.

                  Mike

                  ============================

                  "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

                  > Well, here's the poop on our problem child. First, thanks to David,
                  > Jon, Dutch, Bob, Dale, Jack, Ron, Jerry, and everyone else who
                  > chipped in with their help. If y'all can remember back to the
                  > beginning of this thread, we had taken Flash out on a fishing trip,
                  > got to the campground late, pulled in, plugged in, got the little
                  > heater going, and crashed for the night. We woke up cold the next
                  > morning with our rig tripping the shore power but not our internal
                  > breakers.
                  >
                  > Everything we tried came up bupkis, and all the ideas we got from
                  > everyone else didn't pan out. What foxed me out was that both of
                  > the breakers were physically pulled out of the breaker box but the
                  > shore power was still tripping.
                  >
                  > We ended up going thru every individual wiring run, like Jon
                  > suggested, and eventually found a single-outlet run (actually the
                  > one the heater was plugged into :-( ) that had an internal,
                  > inside-the-insulation fault in the WHITE/COMMON wire - nothing
                  > showing on the outside as far as we can see, but it's sandwiched
                  > inside the wall of the closet, so couldn't see for sure. I'd checked
                  > the outlet before and it was fine, so I didn't bother checking it
                  > any further the first time. I didn't think the dinky little,
                  > plastic housing, Wal-Mart electric heater even drew enough to cause
                  > a problem - but it must have. Still doesn't make sense, why it
                  > would crap out, and crap out that way. The heater still seems to
                  > work just fine but I'm going to toss it anyway just on general
                  > principles.
                  >
                  > Well, since we're planning on replacing the cabinets on that side of
                  > the coach this summer anyway, we just disconnected that run and
                  > wa-lah - we have our 110v system again.
                  >
                  > So, here's the new question: The rest of the wiring is just as old.
                  > Should I think about replacing as much of it as I can?
                  >
                  > Thanks again, everyone.
                  >
                  > Mike

                • Mike VanPelt
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
                    Yeah, I thought it was a possibility but since I thought the outlet was OK
                    and we weren't moving when it went bad, I assumed that he run itself was not
                    the problem.

                    Mike

                    ============================

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
                      Ok, I couldn't figure out why pulling the breaker didn't clear the
                      problem and narrow it down to that circuit. :-)

                      Dutch

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

                      > Dutch -
                      >
                      > Yes, as a matter of fact it was, but it was on a "stub" wiring run -
                      > I thought everything on the driver's side was just in series; turns
                      > out there was a short 4' run to this outlet spliced into the
                      > driver's side run that I didn't know about, so when I initially just
                      > checked @ the end of the run it didn't show as a problem.
                      >
                      > The original driver's run ended @ the 'fridge outlet - there was a
                      > 2-way AmFridge (12v/110v) on the very end of the driver's side run
                      > at one time. I removed and capped off the 110v line after we pulled
                      > it out (it was non-functional), so I assumed I knew what was going
                      > on in that area (there's just another example of how "ASSUME usually
                      > turns into "make an ASS of U and ME" - you'd "assume" that I'd learn
                      > :-) ). I've got the original Champion coach manual, with two or
                      > three very general coach wiring schematics for different models and
                      > I don't remember any of those having a dead-end run there. I'm
                      > wondering if it's a "PO" - previous owner - addition or if it was
                      > just a standard thing that was sometimes added on my model.
                      >
                      > We've used that heater before all night in place of the furnace, in
                      > that particular outlet - with two adults and two dogs, it was all we
                      > needed even in February in a snowstorm overnight; it had a
                      > rudimentary thermostat (low/med/hi) and would kick on & off as
                      > necessary. It's only a 1200W heater on its highest setting. I
                      > guess it must have been just enough that evening. Maybe something
                      > pinched on the drive out and there was just enough draw on that
                      > circuit to cause the fault.
                      >
                      > Mike
                      >
                      >> Wasn't that circuit connected to one of the breakers you removed
                      >> for testing, Mike? How many watts does the heater draw?
                      >>
                      >> Dutch
                    • Ron Mitchell
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
                        Solid copper wire can develop weak points with high resistance, if
                        it flexes enough over time. That's why you can break solid copper by
                        bending it back and forth. Before it actually breaks, the wire begins
                        to develop a weak point. This point has much greater resistance than
                        the rest of the wire. Most automotive applications use stranded wire
                        for this very reason and to prevent breaks from forming. Even then,
                        they still happen, given enough movement. Maybe your wire was getting
                        some movement or vibration that caused this and lead to the hot spot
                        and insulation breakdown. Just at thought.
                        I run a 1200/800 Watt heater most of the winter, just to keep the
                        coach from freezing up inside. Even at the low setting, it will keep
                        the coach at around 50 degrees all winter. I've never noticed any
                        problem with the wiring, but I will now start checking for any runs
                        with a higher than expected resistance. It's a good thing that it
                        blew the GFI, instead of burning the place down.
                        The only thing I'm still confused about is why the GFI still blew
                        with the breakers turned off. Maybe I'm missing something here
                        (that's usually not too hard to do), but I'd get one of those 3-light
                        circuit testers and check all of your outlets to make sure nothing's
                        wired up wrong.

                        Ron
                        76 Coachmen

                        At 01:12 PM 06/01/2008, you wrote:

                        >Yeah, I thought it was a possibility but since I thought the outlet was OK
                        >and we weren't moving when it went bad, I assumed that he run itself was not
                        >the problem.
                        >
                        >Mike
                        >
                        >============================
                        >
                        >Mike VanPelt
                        >
                        >Director of Bands & Orchestras
                        >
                        >Riverside University High School
                        >
                        >1615 E Locust St
                        >
                        >Milwaukee, WI 53221
                        >
                        >414-906-5035 (w)
                        >
                        >414-507-1408 (c)
                        >
                        >414-304-1273 (h)
                        >
                        >414-906-4915 (FAX)
                        >
                        ><mailto:vanpemr%40mail.milwaukee.k12.wi.us>vanpemr@...
                        >
                        ><mailto:mvp1114%40ameritech.net>mvp1114@...
                        >
                        >_____

                      • Mike VanPelt
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
                          I went through all the remaining outlets with one of those testers (after
                          this whole episode, derned right I did!); they were all fine.

                          Mike

                          ============================

                        • Dale Miller
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
                            Dutch wrote:
                            > Ok, I couldn't figure out why pulling the breaker didn't clear the
                            > problem and narrow it down to that circuit. :-)
                            >
                            > Dutch

                            That is what I have been trying to figure out myself.
                            It should have been hooked up to a breaker in the trailer.

                            --
                            All the Best & 73's
                            Dale Miller, KC2CBD

                            stpatrick2spam@...
                            stpatrick3spam@...
                            stpatrick3spam@...

                            (cut the spam to reply)

                            VOTE TO REBUILD!
                            www.twintowersalliance.com

                            ---
                          • Mike VanPelt
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
                              The breakers in the RV wouldn't trip, which had me foxed too.

                              All better now.

                              Mike

                              ============================

                              stpatrick2spam@ <mailto:stpatrick2spam%40twlakes.net> twlakes.net
                              stpatrick3spam@ <mailto:stpatrick3spam%40twlakes.net> twlakes.net
                              stpatrick3spam@ <mailto:stpatrick3spam%40gmail.com> gmail.com

                              (cut the spam to reply)

                              VOTE TO REBUILD!
                              www.twintowersalliance.com

                              ---

                            • Jon Bush Sr.
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                                Mike,
                                I would suspect that since the fault was in common wire(white), the
                                GFCI in your house picked it up faster than the RV breaker(black wire)
                                could trip.

                                Jon

                                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

                                > The breakers in the RV wouldn't trip, which had me foxed too.
                                >

                                > All better now.
                                >

                                > Mike
                                >

                                > ============================
                                >
                                > Mike VanPelt
                                >
                                > Director of Bands & Orchestras
                                >
                                > Riverside University High School
                                >
                                > 1615 E Locust St
                                >
                                > Milwaukee, WI 53221
                                >
                                > 414-906-5035 (w)
                                >
                                > 414-507-1408 (c)
                                >
                                > 414-304-1273 (h)
                                >
                                > 414-906-4915 (FAX)
                                >
                                > vanpemr@...
                                >
                                > mvp1114@...
                                >

                                > _____

                                On Behalf
                                > Of Dale Miller
                                > Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 4:16 PM
                                > To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
                                > Subject: Re: [classicrv] Re: HELP (Shore power problem) update &
                                solution &
                                > a new question
                                >

                                > Dutch wrote:
                                > > Ok, I couldn't figure out why pulling the breaker didn't clear the
                                > > problem and narrow it down to that circuit. :-)
                                > >
                                > > Dutch
                                > >

                                > That is what I have been trying to figure out myself.
                                > It should have been hooked up to a breaker in the trailer.
                                >
                                > --
                                > All the Best & 73's
                                > Dale Miller, KC2CBD
                                > Tennessee
                                > Ham Operator since 1997
                                > Member of YahooPipesmokers and ASP since February 2005
                                >
                                > stpatrick2spam@ <mailto:stpatrick2spam%40twlakes.net> twlakes.net
                                > stpatrick3spam@ <mailto:stpatrick3spam%40twlakes.net> twlakes.net
                                > stpatrick3spam@ <mailto:stpatrick3spam%40gmail.com> gmail.com
                                >
                                > (cut the spam to reply)
                                >
                                > VOTE TO REBUILD!
                                > www.twintowersalliance.com
                                >
                                > ---

                              • Penny
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:
                                  I didn't think the dinky little, plastic housing, Wal-Mart electric
                                  heater even drew enough to cause a problem - but it must have. Still
                                  doesn't make sense, why it would crap out, and crap out that way. The
                                  heater still seems to work just fine but I'm going to toss it
                                  > anyway just on general principles.
                                  > So, here's the new question: The rest of the wiring is just as old.
                                  Should I think about replacing as much of it as I can?
                                  > Thanks again, everyone. Mike >>>

                                  Mike, most 110v heaters are 1500 watt and 5100 BTU's. So even a heavy,
                                  non-rinky-dink heater would give you the same problems. Throwing that
                                  heater away isn't going to solve the problem. Some heaters are only
                                  750 or 900 watt, maybe two small ones on different circuits might be
                                  better. Some have the capabilty of not using all of the 1500 watts
                                  allowed.
                                  If your wiring is old, replace it, it is probably 14 gauge, maybe
                                  better to go with 12 gauge.
                                  Happy Trails, Penny, TX
                                • Tom K
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                                    If you change the RV wiring, be sure to NOT use standard house wiring but multistranded copper wire of a suitable gauge. The vibrations could be problematic on a single wire type. If you have aluminum wiring, change it.

                                    For portable heaters, I prefer Pelonis brand ceramic heaters. It has a variable fan speed and heating element to your temperature setting. As such it runs extremely quiet and on low power most of the time. Has a tip switch to turn it off should it be kicked over but has a nice solid weight so your not likely to, can be handled when hot, higher quality power cord, has a fan only setting for cooling. About an 8" cube.

                                    Tom K
                                    Charlotte, NC
                                    1988 Lesharo

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                                      OK, that makes sense. Thanks!

                                      Mike

                                      ============================

                                      "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

                                      > The breakers in the RV wouldn't trip, which had me foxed too.
                                      >

                                      > All better now.
                                      >

                                      > Mike
                                      >

                                      > ============================
                                      >
                                      > Mike VanPelt
                                      >
                                      > Director of Bands & Orchestras
                                      >
                                      > Riverside University High School
                                      >
                                      > 1615 E Locust St
                                      >
                                      > Milwaukee, WI 53221
                                      >
                                      > 414-906-5035 (w)
                                      >
                                      > 414-507-1408 (c)
                                      >
                                      > 414-304-1273 (h)
                                      >
                                      > 414-906-4915 (FAX)
                                      >
                                      > vanpemr@...
                                      >
                                      > mvp1114@...
                                      >

                                      > _____
                                      >
                                      > From: classicrv@yahoogrou <mailto:classicrv%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
                                      > > Ok, I couldn't figure out why pulling the breaker didn't clear the
                                      > > problem and narrow it down to that circuit. :-)
                                      > >
                                      > > Dutch
                                      > >

                                      > That is what I have been trying to figure out myself.
                                      > It should have been hooked up to a breaker in the trailer.
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > All the Best & 73's
                                      > Dale Miller, KC2CBD
                                      > Tennessee
                                      > Ham Operator since 1997
                                      > Member of YahooPipesmokers and ASP since February 2005
                                      >
                                      > stpatrick2spam@ <mailto:stpatrick2spam%40twlakes.net> twlakes.net
                                      > stpatrick3spam@ <mailto:stpatrick3spam%40twlakes.net> twlakes.net
                                      > stpatrick3spam@ <mailto:stpatrick3spam%40gmail.com> gmail.com
                                      >
                                      > (cut the spam to reply)
                                      >
                                      > VOTE TO REBUILD!
                                      > www.twintowersalliance.com
                                      >
                                      > ---

                                    • Mike VanPelt
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                                        Tom -

                                        Stranded wire, not solid? I would have thought the solid would be better
                                        over a longer length of time (yes, I know that's what was in it before but
                                        it did last almost 30 years).

                                        Mike

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 3, 2008
                                          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "wpmartin55" <wpmartin55@...> wrote:
                                          Electrical problems are the worst to solve, I think. We have a car
                                          batter constantly being run down by ?? We can't find the source. Have
                                          fun! Cindy M. >>>

                                          Cindy I have has two cars that did that. The Marquis it was the visor
                                          mirror light not shutting off when closed. The Cadillac it was
                                          something to do with the passenger seat belt not retracting all the way.
                                          Hope this helps. Penny, TX