Re: Replace/recover walls and ceiling

  • lifeisajourney626
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 7, 2008
      Thanks for taking the time to send this to us. This is a great site
      and just what we needed - a visual of how it's done. Thanks again!

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Scott Williams <swillia5@...> wrote:

      > Here's a look at a complete rebuild of a motorhome into a rolling
      showroom:

      > http://www.picturetrail.com/clubmaxxpch
      >
      > Scott in Penfield NY
      >
      > SJ & Mary wrote:
      > > Hi fellow rv'ers,
      > >
      > > We are tearing everything out and replacing/recovering the
      ceiling and
      > > walls in our RV. Is there a web site that shows just how to do
      this?
      > > What supplies to use, etc? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
      > >
      > > SJ & Mary

    • Scott Williams
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 7, 2008
        You're welcome. I should point out that the motorhome on that site has
        a metal frame. Not all do.

        Here's a site (a VERY comprehensive rebuild of a travel trailer) that
        might give you some idea of how a wooden frame should be repaired (even
        if it is a trailer, not a MH):

        http://rvforsaleguide.com/trailer-repair/rv-trailer-repair.htm

        And here's another trailer rebuild, very nicely documented with nice
        pics, done by a member of the group:

        http://www.megley.com/photos/camperrepair

        Some motorhomes are all metal frames for the "house", some have both
        metal and wood, some have lots of wood with just a little metal.

        Once the frame is solid, putting interior panels in is mostly the same
        in all of them, from what I've seen.

        Good luck with your project.

        Scott in Penfield NY

        lifeisajourney626 wrote:
        > Thanks for taking the time to send this to us. This is a great site
        > and just what we needed - a visual of how it's done. Thanks again!
        >
        > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Scott Williams <swillia5@...> wrote:
        >> Here's a look at a complete rebuild of a motorhome into a rolling
        > showroom:
        >> http://www.picturetrail.com/clubmaxxpch
        >>
        >> Scott in Penfield NY
        >>
        >> SJ & Mary wrote:
        >>> Hi fellow rv'ers,
        >>>
        >>> We are tearing everything out and replacing/recovering the
        > ceiling and
        >>> walls in our RV. Is there a web site that shows just how to do
        > this?
        >>> What supplies to use, etc? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
        >>>
        >>> SJ & Mary
      • lifeisajourney626
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 8, 2008
          Scott, thank you again. Even more comprehensive, the pics and
          narratives will be invaluable to us.

          Yes we noticed that some were metal and some wood or both. Can't wait
          to tear everything out this next weekend and see what her skeleton's
          made of.

          You really went above and beyond and we sincerely thank you.

          SJ & Mary

        • Scott Williams
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 8, 2008
            Happy to help. The true thanks belong to the creators of those websites.

            Scott in Penfield NY

          • Wesley Furr
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 8, 2008
              I can claim credit to being the sucker who took on the project listed below.
              The only thing I'll add is that in most (if not all) units, they are put
              together from the inside out. Meaning that the inside paneling is part of
              the outside walls and isn't put in after the outside is done. Take a look
              at the photos, I think you'll see what I mean. To replace just the paneling
              isn't necessarily easy in one that's already put together.

              Wesley

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 9, 2008
                Wesley,
                Yes we do have you to thank, too! You were really patient to have
                done such an outstanding job! Thanks for sharing your hard work with
                all of us who need visuals to refurb our homes on wheels (HOWs).
                Thanks again,
                SJ & Mary

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Wesley Furr" <wesley@...> wrote:

                > I can claim credit to being the sucker who took on the project
                listed below.
                > The only thing I'll add is that in most (if not all) units, they
                are put
                > together from the inside out. Meaning that the inside paneling is
                part of
                > the outside walls and isn't put in after the outside is done. Take
                a look
                > at the photos, I think you'll see what I mean. To replace just the
                paneling
                > isn't necessarily easy in one that's already put together.
                >
                > Wesley

              • Phil Hanson
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 9, 2008
                  To the RV group: These pictures are very interesting and
                  informative for a person like myself who has a 74 Tioga
                  project. The people who have taken these pictures (which
                  it should be remembered is a pain to stop to do when you
                  are working) have produced invaluable resources and
                  inspiration to others.

                  Question: When aluminum is removed from the outside of an
                  RV and the wood replaced underneath, did these builders
                  just afterwards roll the original aluminum right back on?
                  Or did they buy new aluminum siding?

                  Thanks, ph

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 10, 2008
                    Phil,

                    There are some links to other great overhaul projects in the "links" section
                    of the Yahoo RVRepair group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rvrepair - one
                    of those guys put new aluminum on his.

                    On mine, I just smoothed (hammered) out the edges and put it back on. It's
                    only attached by the edges anyway...

                    Wesley