Carburetor Replacement / Mileage

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
      Has anyone found a good carburetor replacement for the thermoquad. My
      MH runs well with the TQ but with the price of gas now I need to find a
      way to get better mileage. Over the years (21) I've installed all the
      normal stuff -headders, intake man., cold air intake, vacuum gauge, etc-
      and its given me more power. The price of fuel inj. is too much for
      me.
      Any carburetor you've found that gives better mpg?
      Thanks,
      Bill
    • badwillybiker
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2008
        Hello.... Personal experience... I lean heavily into the Edelbrock
        carb... as acquired from SUMMIT RACING
        It was a 750 cfm, manual choke unit. Made the 440 extremely responsive.
        Made the 440 a new animal and with judicious use of the throttle did
        improve the mileage a "bit". With a 440 gasser and pulling a unit at
        15k weight or more there is only so much mileage you are going to pull
        out.. A 440 in a car, van & heavy truck will get different mileage.
        The fuel mileage is kind of "built-in" for a particular demand... The
        price that is due for the type of vehicle you want and amount of people
        etc.... The early Travcos with a 318 w/carter 2 bbl was "do-able" but
        at a cost of performance and was under a strain at times and the better
        mileage it at times enjoyed was lost... Only so much "wiggle room". My
        current MH with a personally rebuilt holley @ 34K miles and a NEW 460
        only gets 6 mpg. I can no longer plan or afford to goto CA. to visit as
        the real cost at $3.00 per gallon works out to $2400.00 RT in gas ONLY
        and that does NOT include tolls, meals, smokes, oil etc. So it sits
        with a full tank of 100 gals... Maybe I can go a few hundred miles out
        and back. Reality is Brutal eh? JMHO
        Maybe with a good tailwind and on level or a slight downhill grade
        might make it temporarily "acceptable" however you will pay it back on
        the flip. Only you can decide on the bottom line.
        PS: For a long shot, they also have/had the water/alcohol injection
        that dumped into the intake at the air cleaner horn or somewhere
        abouts.. Claims were made for increased mileage, reduced detonation
        etc.... Guess a windshield washer pump, a fine spray nozzle (From a air
        brush or paint can) expoxied into the snout and operated by switch or
        whatever migh "help"... And.. finally I believe it would take quite a
        while to get the return on the added cost of F.I.
        Billy

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <cor50067@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone found a good carburetor replacement for the thermoquad. My
        > MH runs well with the TQ but with the price of gas now I need to find
        > way to get better mileage. Over the years (21) I've installed all the
        > normal stuff -headders, intake man., cold air intake, vacuum gauge,
        etc-
        > and its given me more power. The price of fuel inj. is too much for
        > me.
        > Any carburetor you've found that gives better mpg?
        > Thanks,
        > Bill

      • JerryK
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2008
          Hey Billy,
          I've got one of those 318 Travcos and I get much better than 6 MPG. Usually between 8 and 10 MPG between Mi and Fla. On that trip I always get better than 8 MPG and usually I get 10 or close to it when going across lower Georgia into Florida. I cruise around 63 - 64 MPH.
          JerryK