Re: [classicrv] Re: RV to houseboat?

  • Dorothy Hammond
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
      I guess I was sort of thinking of converting to a houseboat when the
      old RV gives up the ghost. But we definitely plan to use up all the
      life it has left as an RV first. I've always wanted to live on a
      houseboat...almost as much as I wanted to full time in an RV!

      D. Hammond
    • Dutch
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
        Yeah, there's a lot of "sail" area in those sidewalls!

        Dutch

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@...> wrote:

        > Even with those airbags on the side, that's got to be about as
        stable as a
        > saltine box in any kind of a cross-wind or choppy water.
        >
        > It doubles as a boat; does it triple as a submarine? :-)
        >
        > Mike
        > _____

        On Behalf
        > Of Dutch
        > Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 3:55 PM
        > To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [classicrv] Re: RV to houseboat?
        >
        > You could just trade it in... :-)
        >
        > http://www.terrawin <http://www.terrawind.com/terrawind.htm>
        > d.com/terrawind.htm
        >
        > Dutch
        >
        > --- In classicrv@yahoogrou <mailto:classicrv%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,
        > "Dorothy Hammond" <dhammondtx@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > To Tom K -
        > >
        > > You mentioned you worked on old houseboats: Is it possible to convert
        > > an RV to a houseboat? My husband and I have often wondered if we
        > > could just attach our 86 Georgie Boy to pontoons and have a houseboat.
        > > (I know it wouldn't be that simple, but you get the idea.)
        > >
        > > D. Hammond

      • Dutch
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
          In that case, getting rid of that heavy chassis and such, should make
          the project a bit more "doable". I think I'd want a good marine
          engineer to help work out the flotation, balance, and propulsion
          issues though.

          Dutch

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy Hammond" <dhammondtx@...>
          wrote:

          > I guess I was sort of thinking of converting to a houseboat when the
          > old RV gives up the ghost. But we definitely plan to use up all the
          > life it has left as an RV first. I've always wanted to live on a
          > houseboat...almost as much as I wanted to full time in an RV!
          >
          > D. Hammond

        • Dan Anderson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
            Sure . But the fuel cost wood go way up having to fill up at Marinas.
            Back in the 80's a company made a class "C" into a RV/house boat.
            They took a Ford E-350 4x4 cab and chassie, removed the rear axle so
            it was only front wheel drive. Converted the frame and rear of truck
            to that of a boat trailer including axles, to fit a 24ft cabin cruiser
            then the boat was now the RV / Houseboat.
            IT was a feature artical in Poplar Mechanics I think is where I read
            about it.
            Dan

            In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Dutch" <yahoo.mail@...> wrote:

            > Yeah, there's a lot of "sail" area in those sidewalls!
            >
            > Dutch
            >
            > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mike VanPelt" <mvp1114@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Even with those airbags on the side, that's got to be about as
            > stable as a
            > > saltine box in any kind of a cross-wind or choppy water.
            > >
            > > It doubles as a boat; does it triple as a submarine? :-)
            > >
            > > Mike
            > > _____

          • Jabba Truck
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
              There was an episode of Monster Garage where they took a school bus and reworked it so that the sides were hinged halfway up and the roof split along the center to turn into a pontoon boat. They budget $3k per show for parts and use a team of skilled craftsmen providing free labor.

              The bus floated and ran, but the rear interior space was pretty much filled up by the pontoons, and I doubt it was intended to stay dry in th rain.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
                They do build some oddball stuff on that show! It's not always very
                practical though... :-)

                Dutch