Re: Gas tank leak sank me...? Update :-)

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2007
      Hi guys,

      First, before bringing you up to date, I want to VERY gratefully
      thank everyone who replied to my post. It was good to have all that
      feedback and it got me settled down, reassured, and thinking.

      The latest is this: I am waiting for the guy to call and tell me he
      is through with the repair job. After reading all the replies,
      weighing all the options, and talking to the seller (who had already
      pulled the tank) I decided that I would let him patch it (as
      described in a few of your posts - he told ME how he was going to do
      it before I got the chance to tell HIM how I wanted it done (your
      way)) and then I would do the deal with him. He was very relieved.
      This IS the great frozen north you see. He's broke, it's January,
      he's 80 miles up in the country a long way from anybody else who
      might be interested (I made the trip but nobody else has), and he
      needs to sell this rig for the cash he has in it (maybe even for
      groceries, I don't know....) I just don't see where I can go wrong
      for $1000.00. I figure if the tank will hold together to get it home
      I'll wait until it warms up, drop the tank again myself, inspect his
      repair, and decide then if I want to replace the tank or let it go.
      The wife is apologetic at this point for "freaking out" about the gas
      leak and wants the rig now that she calmed down, so that's no longer
      a concern. I would have let the seller change to a new tank NOW but
      for the facts that he IS up in the sticks where it isn't convenient
      to me to get up there again, he has no money for parts up front, and
      it'd be hard to get anything handy where he is except maybe from a
      farm supply. I could end up with an insecticide tank from a manure
      spreader or something, but that'd probably be about it. So I'll let
      him patch it and inspect or fix it right myself later right here in
      my own driveway in suburbia.

      I'll let you know how it comes out and when the "new member of the
      family" is home safe. :-)

      Thanks again.
      Tom