RE: [classicrv] Re: leak

  • Michael VanPelt
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 3, 2007
      The air pressurization leak detector works IF you have either a new enough
      RV that all the seals are good - including the felt around your sliding
      windows, etc. Our RV is old enough that the RV guy just laughed - even
      though our sliding windows don't leak water, they do leak air.

      If that works for you, great . . . however the dealer will probably want to
      be the one to fix everything (well, of course! :-) ). If you use the
      Eternabond and your preferred RV sealer (I like the standard RV caulking
      myself around windows) and then get the roll-on white rubber stuff (sorry,
      can't remember the name off the top of my head but it comes in an orange can
      - any help, people on the brand name?) over the roof you should be golden.
      We haven't had a leak since I redid the roof. I will recommend that you do
      any re-riveting, etc. necessary before you seal - we unthinkingly re-riveted
      the bonnet over the cab (unfortunately AFTER we had sealed the roof) and all
      of a sudden we were wet - we pulled the bonnet too far and broke the seal.
      Oh, well, live & learn.

      Mike

      Mike VanPelt

      Director of Bands & Orchestras

      Riverside University High School

      1615 E Locust St.

      Milwaukee, WI 53211

      414-906-5035 (o)

      414-304-1273 (h)

      414-507-1408 (c)

      414-906-4915 (FAX)

      mvp1114@...

      vanpemr@...

      _____

      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 3, 2007
        Ahhh...I wondered how that would work. On the flip side, I kinda like the
        idea of fresh air being able to get in. :-)

        Wesley

        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 3, 2007
          Just because a seal or window or joint leaks air out, doesn't mean it will leak water in.
          bob woods

        • Mike VanPelt
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 3, 2007
            Yes, but since the felted window track did leak air out, they could not get
            a good enough seal to check the roof, etc. for leaks. Basically, they hook
            a strong fan to your coach or trailer (usually through a vent) and
            overpressurize the interior. They then wet the outside of the body/roof and
            squirt a soap solution on, and look for bubbles where the skin leaks. If
            too much air leaks out other places, such as the felted window tracks on
            ours, they can't tell where the actual leaks are.

            Mike

            ============================

            Mike VanPelt

            Director of Bands & Orchestras

            Riverside University High School

            1615 E Locust St

            Milwaukee, WI 53221

            414-906-5035 (w)

            414-507-1408 (c)

            414-304-1273 (h)

            414-906-4915 (FAX)

            vanpemr@...

            mvp1114@...

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007
              Thanks for the roof repair suggestions. I haven't seen the items you
              bought at Lowe's but I'll look. I'm saving your note in my RV file. I
              think we'll need it!

              - angie
            • Angie Wright
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007
                I would like some more information about how to use pressurized air to
                find leaks in your motor home. Do they use smoke or something to find
                where the leaks are?

                - angie
              • Mike VanPelt
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Nope, they blow air in thru a vent, wet the outside, and spray the outer
                  surface with a dish soap solution - kind of like how you check for a LP
                  leak.

                  You could do it yourself if you could get a strong enough airflow into the
                  vehicle - their blower is pretty heavy duty.

                  Mike

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                    Orange can... Dyco???
                    Bob, Az

                    Michael VanPelt <mvp1114@...> wrote: The air pressurization leak detector works IF you have either a new enough
                    RV that all the seals are good - including the felt around your sliding
                    windows, etc. Our RV is old enough that the RV guy just laughed - even
                    though our sliding windows don't leak water, they do leak air.

                    If that works for you, great . . . however the dealer will probably want to
                    be the one to fix everything (well, of course! :-) ). If you use the
                    Eternabond and your preferred RV sealer (I like the standard RV caulking
                    myself around windows) and then get the roll-on white rubber stuff (sorry,
                    can't remember the name off the top of my head but it comes in an orange can
                    - any help, people on the brand name?) over the roof you should be golden.
                    We haven't had a leak since I redid the roof. I will recommend that you do
                    any re-riveting, etc. necessary before you seal - we unthinkingly re-riveted
                    the bonnet over the cab (unfortunately AFTER we had sealed the roof) and all
                    of a sudden we were wet - we pulled the bonnet too far and broke the seal.
                    Oh, well, live & learn.

                    Mike

                    Mike VanPelt

                    Director of Bands & Orchestras

                    Riverside University High School

                    1615 E Locust St.

                    Milwaukee, WI 53211

                    414-906-5035 (o)

                    414-304-1273 (h)

                    414-507-1408 (c)

                    414-906-4915 (FAX)

                    mvp1114@...

                    vanpemr@...

                    _____

                    > We now have a leak in our 87 Gulf stream, I pulled plastic across it
                    > since they are calling for bad weather. But while "up there" I checked
                    > the seams, They all look good. I figure the best thing to do is remove
                    > the old sealer and start from scratch with new sealer. Any suggestions?

                    Hi Lena,

                    We had a small leak around our antenna last year and took the TT to
                    our local camping dealer. They had a special on a leak check so we
                    had them do it. They use pressurized air somehow. They found 7
                    places (including around windows)where it was leaking! It was well
                    worth the money spent to find those leaks and avoid the problems they
                    could cause.
                    I'd suggest you have one done because if you have one leak, you
                    probably have others you can't see.

                    Cindy M.

                  • Steve Elms
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                      A trick we used to use to find leaks in cars was to
                      set the HVAC controls to vent, outside air, and turn
                      the blower on high. That would pressurize the body
                      enough to use soapy water to find air leaks around the
                      doors or windows that could cause wind noise.

                      Steve Elms
                    • Angie Wright
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 7, 2007
                        Good idea - I'll try it. But not today - it is freezing here!

                        - angie