Re: Vintage Mini Winnie purchase? Advice appreciated.

  • Dan Anderson
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tfraz58@...> wrote:
      > Go for it. With gas prices the way they are you don't want to have
      alot of money tide up in a MH. I have a 1975 and I'm glade that if it
      sits it isn't costing me much money. No payments and cheap ins.
      My opion Dan

      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > Currently have an Apache popup that is going on the market in the
      > spring. Wife wants something a bit
      > more civilized. Me, I thought getting her out of the tent and into
      > the hardside was pretty durn civilised.....hehe!! Anyway......
      >
      > The Apache is not the purpose of the post here. Am currently looking
      > at a 1973 Winnebago Minnie Winnie. Has about 37,000 miles on the
      > clock. Clear title, even has current plates on it. Clean inside (not
      > trashed), though dated of course. Runs pretty good. Good tread on
      the
      > tires, but they are showing some age (sidewalls). All (camping)
      > systems seem to be "go", including the bathroom (I couldn't
      > resist....) :-). Seriously; furnace, water systems, 3 burner stove,
      > gas/elec (both reportedly ok - it DOES cool down with 110v at least)
      > all good. The party will throw in the generator he was using with it
      > when in the boonies (which is the only time he DID use it for the
      > last 6 years, as a fishing/hunting shack). Generator is a Coleman
      > Power Mate 2500. Claims to be selling the rig due to the fact that
      he
      > bought another RV that is more suitable to his sporting uses, and
      > could use the cash the Winnie has tied up NOW with Christmas coming
      > up. Otherwise claims he would keep the Minnie and offer it for sale
      > in the spring. This is why I am looking now, figure I can get a deal
      > in November here in the northland and recoup a lot of my expenditure
      > with the Apache sale in the spring.
      >
      > $1500 asking price. What do you folks think? Comments welcome. I'll
      > be really looking it over and making a decision this weekend. I am
      > also looking at a 1966 Layton 18' Travel trailer, also in ready to
      go
      > condition (complete) that the guy wants $650 for. I'll go by gut
      > instinct once I get a feel for them both. I have been urged to
      leave
      > the MH ALONE and go for a TT to save money, hassle, etc, etc, etc.
      > Have only a 2002 Jeep Liberty to tow with though, and I don't want
      > kill it...plus the space issue, the 18' may be a bit tight. Have to
      > see them both. I was considering a Class A of the same vintage but
      > have discarded that idea. It's come down to the Layton TT or the
      > Winnebago Mini Winnie. Appreciate any feedback anybody cares to
      give.

      > Tom

    • Michael VanPelt
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
        Yup, gotta agree with Jerry - check all the brakes/tranny/engine issues. If
        those are all right, then go for it. Our biggest hassle was with the tires
        - we had 8.00's and eventually went to 8.75's; a little bit pricey but a
        major improvement in ride & control. I'd take it if you're a little handy
        (the MH I mean).

        Mike

        Mike VanPelt

        Director of Bands & Orchestras

        Riverside University High School

        1615 E Locust St.

        Milwaukee, WI 53211

        414-906-5035 (o)

        414-304-1273 (h)

        414-507-1408 (c)

        414-906-4915 (FAX)

        mvp1114@...

        vanpemr@...

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Anderson" <danora2@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > be really looking it over and making a decision this weekend. I
          am
          > > also looking at a 1966 Layton 18' Travel trailer, also in ready
          > go
          > > condition (complete) that the guy wants $650 for. I'll go by gut
          > > instinct once I get a feel for them both. I have been urged to
          > leave
          > > the MH ALONE and go for a TT to save money, hassle, etc, etc,
          etc.
          > > Have only a 2002 Jeep Liberty to tow with though, and I don't
          want
          > > kill it...plus the space issue, the 18' may be a bit tight. Have
          > > see them both. I was considering a Class A of the same vintage
          but
          > > have discarded that idea. It's come down to the Layton TT or the
          > > Winnebago Mini Winnie. Appreciate any feedback anybody cares to

          Thanks for all the responses, guys! Judging but what I have seen on
          some lists I expected a reply to be awhile coming and then not to
          many. Nic group, thanks for having me in, I may have to stick
          around. :-)

          Looked at it yesterday, and it's all but a done deal. I'll explain
          why not FULLY done yet in a minute. He is firm on the $1500.00 price,
          but I think it's probably worth it, maybe a bit more. We showed up
          and he started it up so I could hear it run. You shoulda heard that
          35 year old mill "purrrr". I couldn't believe how smooth and strong
          it sounded. This is a licensed and registered MH of course, in
          service and just back from a short trip to the woods a few weeks
          back, so maybe no surprise. I mean...if HE isn't afraid to drive
          it..... I stayed outside while he went and revvd it up. "Roar!" with
          no ticking, nothing.... It had a new alternator as well and the
          engine was clean, no sign of oil or otherwise leaks. Clean underneath
          too, no evidence of old leaking. No way he had moved it either, as
          there was no place else for it to park with his layout. Further, the
          fresh snow we were getting also would have told a tale had he moved
          it. Tires were as expected, good tread but showing checking wear on
          sidewalls, so they will need to be replaced before long. I don't
          recall the size but THINK they were 8.00 x 16 or something along
          those lines. Truck tires for sure, just not sure of the number.
          Brakes; I don't know yet. Same for the transmission. Those things I
          was not able to check out since Mom Nature decided to give us our
          first seasonal snowfall yesterday. He wanted me to drive it, but I
          declined for the moment since I wouldn't have been able to tell a lot
          about running gear with slippery streets. "Is that the tranny
          slipping, or are the wheels spinning?" Are the brakes not working
          well or am I sliding with locked wheel(s)? Etc, etc." We decided I
          would return and drive it when it clears up. Roof looked good (what I
          could see of it). More importantly, the ceiling panels inside were
          original and unmarked. No leaks. The owner's dad (also present) said
          he had sealed it at least twice, if not three times in the 6 years
          they had owned it. Inside everything seemed to work, three burner
          stove, refrigerator which he demo'ed as working on bith gas and
          electric (had the rig plugged into 110v). Good furnace which he lit
          as soon as we went inside and which my wife was very grateful for.
          She had been cold and shivering, wondering what kind of foolishness
          her husband was up to NOW. As she thawed out inside the Minnie
          though, I saw her look around and you could almost see the thought
          bubble over her head: "hmmm. Maybe Tom ISN'T pulling another
          boneheaded stunt after all". Lol. Only thing that didn't work right
          off (and he seemed dismayed by that) was the toilet. The Winnebago
          had been drained for the winter so there was no real way to check the
          plumbing, but he stepped on the flush(?) pedals and neither one would
          move. He said it must be frozen and would thaw if we waited awhile,
          but I told him no worries.

          I expect to close the deal within a few days, providing it drives
          okay. The only other thing I am considering is a travel trailer. This
          is a 1966 Layton, 18'. I was going to look at it yesterday too, but
          by the time we got done with the Minnie it was snowing too hard and
          we wanted to get home. This is supposed to be in good shape, and the
          guy wants $650 for it. He says that the RV fridge quit so he put a
          standard 110v refrigerator in it's place. I expect it's a "dorm"
          style size, or something along those lines. Anyone know if that would
          work in a TT application? He claims it is "brand new" and led me to
          believe he had never actually used it. It seems like it might be a
          bit of a problem going down the road, you'd have to put ice in or
          something.... Would the unit even work properly? He also claims that
          all the accessories work (furnace/stove/water/toilet) but the pics I
          have seen don't show a gas bottle on the tongue, just the empty
          tray... In fact, I have seen only two pics, both of the outside, both
          of the front - one from the left, one from the right. That's it. No
          additional pics and my email asking for more (specifically the
          INTERIOR) has gone unanswered. He says he DOES have a title for it
          but doesn't know what the weight is. I am concerned about pulling it
          with my wife's Jeep Liberty which has a Class II hitch. HE actually
          said that might worry him too, pulling it with the Libby. It is a bit
          further from home too, about 40 miles further than the Minnie was...
          Just not sure if I should even bother going to see it now, especially
          now that the Winnebago seems to be in such great shape. $650 vs $1500
          though...I dunno. I'm also being urged to stay AWAY from older motor
          home$ a$ they $pend money fa$ter than you can $ave it.

          Thanks again for all the replies. I especially like the last one,
          sweet and to the point: "for $1500.00?? GO for it!" Hehehe! Probably
          will, just want to cover all bases. More input welcome.

          Tom
        • Wesley Furr
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
            Tom,

            I tend to be the kind of guy that prefers a travel trailer...and for a
            number of reasons. I think the biggest for me is not having an old vehicle.
            Old vehicles (even ones with low mileage) are just bound to give you
            trouble...and that's the last thing I want hours from home on vacation.
            With a trailer, any capable vehicle can tow it...like the one you drive
            every day and trust. :-) You also don't have to have insurance on a
            trailer. But, that's just my personal preference, obviously many folks here
            feel differently than I, and that's ok.

            In your case, with this particular trailer you're consider, two red flags go
            up for me immediately. 1966 and $650. A 1966 trailer has great potential
            to be a nightmare unless someone has really taken care of it, and/or kept it
            stored under cover. My parents have a 1971 18' Terry. If dad hadn't stayed
            right on top of every leak it got, it wouldn't be worth much at all by now.
            Old RV's will leak...that's just a fact of life. I'd encourage you to poke
            and prod in every corner and in from every outside bay...every square inch
            you can get your fingers into. If you find a soft spot, there's been water
            damage...and no guarantees it's not still leaking. I'd be sure to do that
            on the motorhome you're looking at as well. As for the $650 price tag, that
            just sounds pretty low to me for a trailer that's in decent condition.
            Around here (I'm in VA), one like that in good condition should easily bring
            $1500-2000...perhaps a little less due to the age, but after you get back
            20+ years or so, it's condition that begins to matter, not age. You also
            mention no gas bottles on the front, etc...another point that makes me
            wonder how well it's been cared for.

            As for the dorm fridge, there's nothing wrong with that at all...as long as
            you don't plan on camping w/o electric hookups. If you don't do such
            camping, an electric unit actually has some advantages, such as cooling down
            faster. However, a gas/electric unit makes *no* noise at all...and of
            course you can camp anywhere and still use it. The 83 Prowler we have came
            with such a fridge. We ended up spending $900 to put in a gas/electric one
            so we could camp w/o hookups. Just make sure it's anchored in place well
            enough so it doesn't fall out going down the road. There's also a vent in
            the back for the heat and gas fumes to go up...so unless it's sealed around
            it fairly well, all your heat (if you camp in cold weather) will go right
            out.

            I don't know what state you are in, but in VA, the weight is on the title.
            I wouldn't touch it if you can't get a title. As for towing it with a Jeep
            Liberty, I wouldn't be afraid to....assuming yours is rated for 5000lbs like
            it appears all Liberty's are. However, I don't think I'd want to tow
            anything much over about 20' long. We've got a 94 and an 02 Isuzu Trooper.
            Towing our old 18' 83 Prowler, it towed like a dream. We bought a 89
            Sunline 20.5' this spring. It still tows very well, but you can tell it's
            back there a little more. If it gets too long and heavy, you can end up
            with a case of the tail wagging the dog... If you do in fact only have a
            class II hitch, you may want to upgrade to a class III (5000lbs) to make
            sure you can handle it...looks like a class II can only handle 3500lbs. A
            2" Class III will also allow you to use a weight distributing hitch, which
            is helpful for towing. Not sure if you can get one for a 1 1/4" class II?

            Aside from all that, I would be sure to test run every appliance in the
            unit, etc. Plumbing could be tough to test if it's been winterized (which
            sounds like it should have if you had snow sticking to the ground). If it
            hasn't been...I'd RUN from it! Also be sure to check the tires...depending
            on how far you're going and in what weather...they may need replacement too.

            Let us know how it works out for you...

            Wesley

[...]

          • Lynnie Whitefield
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
              Just want to add a couple of comments about the all electric refrigerator in an RV. Our 3 way went out(that loud ammonia smell when the door was opened). We rarely dry camp needing the gas capability. We have a big ice chest we set in the shower now for that but don't dry camp much. One dislike I have about a 3 way unit is the fact it takes so long to cool down and the fact they are over 3 times as expensive as an all electric model.

              I decided to investigate the electric fridge option. Our old unit capacity was about 8 cubic ft. I looked and looked for a unit about that size. Most brands junped from the 4 cubic ft. size to about 10 cubic ft. I finally found one unit ( and only one model) about 8 cu ft that that Sears had. I had to do a little wood trimming to get it to fit and covered the stock white color with a brown that matched the RV interior. It works great! It will freeze in the fridge section if turned down too much, that never happened with the 3 way unit and will stay cold for hours turned off if not opened much. For our style of camping it works great!

              Lynnie

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2007
                Tom, you are talking about 2 completely different types of RV's and what entails to use them. Travel Trailers and Motorhomes is a comparing Apples to Oranges thing. Yes, they are fruits but hardly similar just like these 2 RV types.

                I have owned just about every kind of RV now, and have settled now on a super convenient small Class B+ motorhome called Lesharo. I seldom used a regular car, so I sold it and now the Lesharo is my personal up to 8 passenger car. I also run work vans and take care of most of my errands while out in those.

                I disliked using a travel trailer or pop up camper for all the set up required. Most travel is where I want to go from place to place and no specific itinerary. You must go from campground to campground with a travel trailer.

                I felt even the Class C's were too large for my needs and I wanted better mileage for my long distance runs up and down the East Coast.

                With a smaller motorhome you can often simply just stop wherever you are. Sometimes that's in the parking lot of a nightclub I am at on a Friday night. It may be along a scenic river or fishing spot or a friends driveway. Being self contained, I don't have to go to a campground to enjoy my own facilities.

                In fact I have not been in a public campground yet since owning my Lesharo 2+ years and maybe 40 nights in it so far. I go to some large gatherings at state parks or resorts, but I don't bother to hook up utilities. The deep cycle batteries and water tanks will keep me going for 4 to 5 days and I have propane for cooking. I also hate the noise of a generator and AC so I opt to simply find a shady spot under a tree, or a sunny spot if its colder to minimize the furnace running.

                If the crank up vent unit is needing replacing there are some great ones you'll love a Fantastic Vent and my latest favorite a MaxxVent. You'll never be sorry you installed one of those quiet operating units. I have a Fantastic Vent with the rain sensor that closes the unit automatically and a temp sensor to cut off the fan when it gets cooler at night. The Maxx Vent is just a bit nicer still for a few pence more.

                The drive train on this motorhome you are considering is just a regular ol' Dodge van. Parts and labor for everything will be cheap. I've owned 2 Dodge Class C's years ago. A 1973 Edorado and 1982 Honey both on Dodge chassis with 360's. They get about 8 1/2 mpg. For comparison, my 21' Lesharo gets me 16 mpg.

                The only thing I remember these Dodge engines had problems with was a cheap ceramic resistor on the firewall. I kept a spare in the glovebox just in case, but never needed it. I never had to do any work on the drivetrain of either of the Class C's I owned.

                If you are of the type to want to stay at camp for several days to a week and you've got a big enough tow vehicle, maybe a travel trailer is the thing for you.

                Deciding what kind of RV'er you are right now, would be a basic decision before going further. Your tastes and needs may change in the future and is why there are so many kinds to own for a while.

                I used to tow my travel trailers with a 74 Lincoln Town Car which gave me 8 mpg when I towed and 12 mpg otherwise.

                With a motorhome you can tow something like jet skis or a small boat. If towing a travel trailer, you have a separate vehicle to go to town with from the campground.

                Road insurance on a motorhome is dirt cheap compared to a car or truck. The premium for my Lesharo is 1/4 what it would be for a similarly valued car or truck and it's better coverage.

                Oh, save your life not to mention aggravation and possibly body damage and change the tires immediately.

                I hope this is somewhat helpful,

                Tom K
                Charlotte, NC
                1988 Lesharo

              • Penny
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2007
                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Lynnie Whitefield" <birdman1@...>
                  wrote:I decided to investigate the electric fridge option. Our old
                  unit capacity was about 8 cubic ft. I looked and looked for a unit
                  about that size. Most brands junped from the 4 cubic ft. size to
                  about 10 cubic ft. I finally found one unit ( and only one model)
                  about 8 cu ft that that Sears had. I had to do a little wood
                  trimming to get it to fit and covered the stock white color with a
                  brown that matched the RV interior. It works great! It will freeze in
                  the fridge section if turned down too much, that never happened with
                  the 3 way unit and will stay cold for hours turned off if not opened
                  much. For our style of camping it works great! Lynnie >>>

                  I prefer the dorm type fridge, too. Cools down in no time, stays
                  cold, and no worries about propane fumes from "cabinet leak". I got
                  very sick from fumes from a fridge on propane. A dorm fridge will
                  stay cold for a long time, I keep thermometer in it. You can always
                  run it on an inverter when not plugged in. On my last RV I was
                  fortunate that it had a solar panel on it already. It is big enough
                  to keep both batteries topped off. Penny, TX