Need help with finding replacements for 16", 6-lug split rims!

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2007
      If you look at the Photos section, you can see the rims I have on my
      1968 Chinook Mobilodge. Here in Las Cruces, there is only one place
      left that even works on split rims anymore. I haven't got her up to the
      point where we take long trips, but I thought I'd call several of the
      large repair garages supported by AAA and verify what the local shops
      are telling me. They tell me the same thing. If I have a flat and need
      new tires anywhere, they will not work on my split rims in their shop!
      I've been trying to do some research into replacement rims. Basically,
      if I had the 8-lug or a 5-lug, there would be no problem. I guess the
      16" 6-lug is a different matter.
      My Mobilodge is on a 1968 Dodge M300 chassis according to the info on
      the steering wheel column.
      I figured if anyone has dealt with this before, it's probably someone
      from this group.
      The closest I've ever run into so far is a 17.5" 6-lug I saw on a
      cement truck the other day.

    • Jerry Cassem
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2007
        You might try going to http://www.classicwinnebagos.com
        They has a search engine and type in wheels, I think you find
        what you are looking for. I still have split rims on my 71
        Winnebago 16.5 on it

        Good Luck

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <cymrudewin@...> wrote:

        > If you look at the Photos section, you can see the rims I have
        on my
        > 1968 Chinook Mobilodge. Here in Las Cruces, there is only one place
        > left that even works on split rims anymore. I haven't got her up to
        the
        > point where we take long trips, but I thought I'd call several of
        the
        > large repair garages supported by AAA and verify what the local
        shops
        > are telling me. They tell me the same thing. If I have a flat and
        need
        > new tires anywhere, they will not work on my split rims in their
        shop!
        > I've been trying to do some research into replacement rims.
        Basically,
        > if I had the 8-lug or a 5-lug, there would be no problem. I guess
        the
        > 16" 6-lug is a different matter.
        > My Mobilodge is on a 1968 Dodge M300 chassis according to the info
        on
        > the steering wheel column.
        > I figured if anyone has dealt with this before, it's probably
        someone
        > from this group.
        > The closest I've ever run into so far is a 17.5" 6-lug I saw on a
        > cement truck the other day.
        >
        > Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

      • Gary Evans
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2007
          Neat rig.

          The M300 wheels are "split RING" wheels, which is different than a
          "split rim". There a probably a tens of thousands semi-trucks driving
          around with this type of wheel, so most truck stops are able to handle
          split ring wheels no problem.

          Having said that, they are far from an ideal design and require
          extreme care and good safety equipment to service properly. That is
          why most "consumer" tire shops will not work on them.

          Unfortunately, I am not aware of any bolt-on late model replacement
          for the 6-lug wheels. If you really want to replace them, stockton
          wheel service <http://www.stocktonwheel.com/> can make you a set of
          brand new wheels to spec.