Re: [classicrv] question

  • lena knighten
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2007
      For me it was an older Class A all along. Why?, $$$$,
      Plus my 87 has a caracter all it's own. Yes there are
      minor things that previous owners did that I want
      changed/repaired my way. Face it they do have some age
      on them. As to fuel milage, I have not been around
      "newer" models. Mine gets around 6/8 MPG. My personal
      Pickup gets around 10/12. If I want "good" gas milage
      I'll take the car and stay in a motel :-(
      Check out your possible purchase closely and don't
      take the sellers advice "That's easy to fix". Good
      Luck with your search I think you will enjoy whatever
      you purchase.
      Lena
      --- wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

      > HI Everybody,
      >
      > I want a motorhome and my hubby doesn't want
      > anything over 8 or maybe
      > 10 years old. So we have some questions for you.
      >
      > When you own an older MH, do you have to spend a lot
      > of time tinkering
      > or repairing it compared to a newer one? He hates
      > to tinker and
      > doesn't have the time anyway. Of course, we know it
      > depends on the
      > condition of the MH, but just wondering if anyone
      > has really compared
      > time and money spent to keep an older one running
      > well.
      >
      > Also, do the older MH get worse gas mileage than the
      > newer ones? I
      > recall hearing that some only got about 8 mpg as
      > they were heavier, etc.
      >
      > And why DO you want an older MH anyway? (Don't have
      > to convince me,
      > just hubby).
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Cindy

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Lisa Shelly
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2007
        Cindy,

        I never thought Id want a Motor Home because of the hassle I thought they were. I love all things from the 50s & 60,s and have about 20 vintage travel trailers Ive been collecting since the early 90,s. Ive had the chance & opportunity to work on them from heaters, to lights & pluming and they are actually pretty simple. The more I did, the more I liked them. Most were in decent shape when I bought them though through the years things wear. They all had a lot of class and character as well - the day when everything wasn't plastic yet. Mine are all birch and aluminum. Very cool. Wonderful to wake up in.
        Two years ago I was driving to a friends and saw the Whale (my 71 Dodge Travco 220) on the side of the road. I pulled over & asked to see inside (it wasn't for sale) I really liked the use of space, etc and that fact that it was all fiberglass (wont rot) and eventually waited until the guy put it up for sale. I can tell you that there were some minor problems, but all & all they were an easy fix because they are not as complicated as the new ones ( less bling) I loved it so much I bought another. 68 270 Travco. I take them all over MI & have had a great time, sleep comfortably and save a lot of money on hotels, food, etc. Ive meet a ton of people who will never forget seeing the Whale come down the road and how they kinda laughed. Its in the photo section. Great for conversation - people always want to look inside & talk.
        Owning a Vintage RV for me falls into my way of life. It brings me back to the days when there was less crime, friendly people and time spent with friends & family. Makes the world around me seem not as stressful & busy.The days where phones were in the booths & houses. Call it strange, and maybe so but thats why most things I own are from that era. I guess the fact that they both get 10 mpg and I couldn't afford a new one even if I wanted to come into play. Also - in the case that you didn't know why some of the people staying in the FEMA trailers down in New Orleans were getting sick is because many of the things in newer rigs have tons of preservatives (Formaldehyde) in them. Carpet, curtains you name it. Its bad enough its in my toothpaste, & shampoo & most all other things they want to preserve. Back in the day they didn't use all that junk. Of course they did use asbestos but - hey Ill take my chances with that stuff - it was in all the old schools as well.

        Good luck. I'm sure you & your hubby will meet somewhere in the middle. Find a neighborhood guy who likes to work on things & pay him a couple of bucks to fix a few things here & there. Otherwise - but new.

        wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote: HI Everybody,

        I want a motorhome and my hubby doesn't want anything over 8 or maybe
        10 years old. So we have some questions for you.

        When you own an older MH, do you have to spend a lot of time tinkering
        or repairing it compared to a newer one? He hates to tinker and
        doesn't have the time anyway. Of course, we know it depends on the
        condition of the MH, but just wondering if anyone has really compared
        time and money spent to keep an older one running well.

        Also, do the older MH get worse gas mileage than the newer ones? I
        recall hearing that some only got about 8 mpg as they were heavier, etc.

        And why DO you want an older MH anyway? (Don't have to convince me,
        just hubby).

        Thanks!
        Cindy

      • timkustom68
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 1, 2007
          Cindy,

          Vintage RV's are very addicting. We got our first one, an '82 Champ Transtar on a spur of
          the moment type of thing. The only work it needed was some new tires and an exhaust
          system. It has a bit of patina on it, but it adds to the character. If I wanted a new one with
          it's features, it could have cost almost $100K!

          We got our Eldorado Starfire because we had so much fun with the Transtar, two must be
          twice the fun. Nothing has ever been made like a Starfire and that was part of it also. The
          added size will be nice also for longer trips. Mileage is the same in newer ones vs. older
          ones. I looked at a $450K Prevost that got 6mpg, then you got to park the thing!

          Most newer rigs are designed to "last" only 3-5yrs as the manufacture's research has
          found that most people trade them in that frequently. This was not the case on the older
          rigs.

          Most people that have them for sale either don't have time or space for them or lack the
          knowledge to do simple maintenance (newer rigs require the same maintenace, and most
          owners take them to the RV dealers for "big bucks").

          Sometimes it might be more "roughing it" with an older motorhome (aw, no DVD player
          and 42" plasma to go with it), but that shouldn't be what RVing is all about...

          My 2¢,
          Tim K.
        • Elizabeth
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 1, 2007
            I travel with my dogs to dog events and I’m on the K9RV list and you should
            here all the complaints and maintenance on the new ones. Some people have
            older ones but I would tell you don’t buy anything brand new. Also most of
            the problems that were from the manufacturer are already done. Yes you will
            see a lot of stuff break down on them in the first 3 years. Most people buy
            used and at least 3 years old or older. Then most of the outgassing is gone
            by then. I have a 79’ 25 ft Yellowstone Camino TT and a Chevy Express 1 ton
            15 pass van that can haul pretty much anything.

            Elizabeth

[...]

          • big bill
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 1, 2007
              you know i had the same questions when i first got into it. ok so i
              do all my own work but if you find a nice solid old one your
              definatly making out. cause its a fraction of the cost even if you
              get someone else to do the work. i have a very good friend that is
              the head rv tech at a place near me and he says they dont make them
              like use to unles you pay big bucks. personaly i bought a 23 foot
              class c e350 ford midas with 100k miles on it rebuilt 351m and c6
              trans for 900 bucks, ya it was a basket case but i only with the
              price of the vechical put 3 grand total. new sofa bed captians swivel
              chairs, 4 cube foot fridge, new gas generator new interior for the
              camper, really nice lights ,porch lights 110v eletric double size bed
              for rear 3 tvs vcr,dvd player and surround sound,plus this thing has
              charicter and everyone i know loves it. my neighbors bought a real
              nice 1980 chevy 22 foot class c with 70 miles and needed no work just
              get in and drive and camp and they only paid 3,500 for it what a deal
              and theres plenty more out there. good luck big bill

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "wpmartin55" <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

              > HI Everybody,
              >
              > I want a motorhome and my hubby doesn't want anything over 8 or
              maybe
              > 10 years old. So we have some questions for you.
              >
              > When you own an older MH, do you have to spend a lot of time
              tinkering
              > or repairing it compared to a newer one? He hates to tinker and
              > doesn't have the time anyway. Of course, we know it depends on the
              > condition of the MH, but just wondering if anyone has really
              compared
              > time and money spent to keep an older one running well.
              >
              > Also, do the older MH get worse gas mileage than the newer ones? I
              > recall hearing that some only got about 8 mpg as they were heavier,
              etc.

              > And why DO you want an older MH anyway? (Don't have to convince me,
              > just hubby).
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Cindy

            • Phil Warner
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 2, 2007
                Cindy & Lena,

                We have an 88 TransVan and an 89 Vixen SE, both about 21 feet long and adequate for two people with all the amenities, albeit smaller in size. Both have needed a few things, but have been pretty reliable considering thy are both approaching the age of consent.

                The Vixen cost three times the TransVan, but it is low to the ground, easy to step in to, easy to park in normal spaces, and gets 19 MPG; we use it for a lot of day trips because it gets nearly the mileage of our mini-van and slightly better than the Jeep Cherokee. The TransVan gets 14 -16 MPG, is taller, can be used to tow, will hold long items like lumber in a pinch as it has a rear door, and is also easy to park.

                If you can live with the closer accommodations, I'd recommend either one for their different characteristics, and if long drives and good gas mileage are key there is a slightly older TurboDiesel Vixen version that owners claim to see 24 to 30 MPG, although it is reputed to be a little underpowered in the hills and has a roof that is raised for standing clearance and lowered for travel or for parking in a standard garage.

                $$$wise Trans Vans can be found in the $4000-$6000 range and Vixens in the $18,000 -$28,000 range depending on condition and mileage.

                Cheers,
                Phil in Northwest Arkansas
                philwarner@...
                "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
                should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein

                Re: question
                Posted by: "lena knighten" l_knighten@... l_knighten
                Thu Nov 1, 2007 4:02 am (PST)
                For me it was an older Class A all along. Why?, $$$$,
                Plus my 87 has a caracter all it's own. Yes there are
                minor things that previous owners did that I want
                changed/repaired my way. Face it they do have some age
                on them. As to fuel milage, I have not been around
                "newer" models. Mine gets around 6/8 MPG. My personal
                Pickup gets around 10/12. If I want "good" gas milage
                I'll take the car and stay in a motel :-(
                Check out your possible purchase closely and don't
                take the sellers advice "That's easy to fix". Good
                Luck with your search I think you will enjoy whatever
                you purchase.
                Lena
                --- wpmartin55 <wpmartin55@...> wrote:

                > HI Everybody,
                >
                > I want a motorhome and my hubby doesn't want
                > anything over 8 or maybe
                > 10 years old. So we have some questions for you.
                >
                > When you own an older MH, do you have to spend a lot
                > of time tinkering
                > or repairing it compared to a newer one? He hates
                > to tinker and
                > doesn't have the time anyway. Of course, we know it
                > depends on the
                > condition of the MH, but just wondering if anyone
                > has really compared
                > time and money spent to keep an older one running
                > well.
                >
                > Also, do the older MH get worse gas mileage than the
                > newer ones? I
                > recall hearing that some only got about 8 mpg as
                > they were heavier, etc.
                >
                > And why DO you want an older MH anyway? (Don't have
                > to convince me,
                > just hubby).
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Cindy

              • Joe
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 2, 2007
                  I've looked at the Travco's on ebay and am hesitant.....What kind of
                  interior height is there in them? I love the fiberglas body, the old
                  look and am not afraid of the challenge of minor repairs. Thanks

                  Joe3

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Shelly <lshelly1061@...> wrote:

                  > Two years ago I was driving to a friends and saw the Whale (my 71
                  Dodge Travco 220) on the side of the road. I pulled over & asked to
                  see inside (it wasn't for sale) I really liked the use of space, etc
                  and that fact that it was all fiberglass (wont rot) and eventually
                  waited until the guy put it up for sale.
                • Gary Evans
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Just under 6'3 down the center of our '67.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 2, 2007
                      I wouldnt trade mine for any other kind of RV out there. I really love them. I dont worry about them leaking or rotting. There is a seam down the middle so I check the tops each yr and reseal if I have to. I come across them often. My advise - dont be afraid - just buy one. I wouldnt spend more than 4,000 on one though. I see them often under 2,000 though may need a little TLC.

                      Good luck !

                      Lisa

                      Joe <jsrnfl@...> wrote: I've looked at the Travco's on ebay and am hesitant.....What kind of
                      interior height is there in them? I love the fiberglas body, the old
                      look and am not afraid of the challenge of minor repairs. Thanks

                      Joe3

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Shelly <lshelly1061@...> wrote:

                      > Two years ago I was driving to a friends and saw the Whale (my 71
                      Dodge Travco 220) on the side of the road. I pulled over & asked to
                      see inside (it wasn't for sale) I really liked the use of space, etc
                      and that fact that it was all fiberglass (wont rot) and eventually
                      waited until the guy put it up for sale.

                    • JerryK
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 2, 2007
                        Joe,
                        I'm 6' and don't have a problem. Ours has been in the family for over 37 years 145,000 miles. In their day they were the top of the line. Sturdy chassis, fiberglass shell over a metal frame. 318 or 413 or 440 Dodge/Plymouth powerplant. The Dodge / Travco Motorcaders Club was over 7000 or 8000 strong at one time.
                        Jerry K