Help!!! Serious tow dolly problem.

  • Henry Blair Jr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2007
      I am off on my trip from Atlanta to Cochecton, NY to pick up my $650 eBay
      1973 26 ft Superior motor home (Dodge 400 Chassis) and drive it back to NC.
      I have a serious problem though. I loaded 6 good tires on my tow dolly, a
      MasterTow HD model with surge brakes, and headed to NC. Tomorrow I plan to
      go on to NY. The problem I am having is that the brakes on my tow dolly now
      'chatter' when I come to a stop. It feels as if they catch, then release,
      then catch, etc. in very quick succession. Once they locked, but when I
      reversed the car, they released. Since I know what to suspect, and the load
      is fairly light, 750 lbs, or so, I think I can limp on to NY since all but
      about 100 miles is I81.

      My problem is the return trip. I plan to put a 78 Chrysler NY 2 door on the
      tow dolly and tow it back from NY behind the $650 motor home. Much work
      will be done to the brakes and engine before I start back. No, I cannot
      certify that I am of sound mind, but I am a pretty good mechanic, and the
      Chrysler is packed to the gills with tools and parts.

      Has anyone else ever had this problem? What causes it? I rebuilt the
      brakes a year ago and towed a 4500 lb Chrysler NY on it over 100 miles with
      no problem. The beginning of the trip today was normal. It was only after
      about 5 hours of highway driving that this started.

      Any help will be greatly appreciated.

      Henry

      --
      Henry K. Blair, Jr.
      4365 Butternut Way

    • Jabba Truck
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
        Hi Henry,

        I'm catching up on old email, and you probably left on your trip already.

        I would suspect that the actuator assembly is too tight and is sticking. It has been ages since I've played with surge brakes, but I seem to remember them being held together with lock nuts. Perhaps when you rebuilt the system, you torqued these too tight, or perhaps some lubrication is in order.

        Perhaps the big C-body on the back will make a difference on the return trip, providing enough ballast to prevent the assembly from sticking.

        Jay

        henryblairjr@ gmail.com