Place to find hard to find RV windsheilds?

  • John Doe
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4, 2007
      Any one know where I can get replacement windsheld windows for a 1974
      shasta that no one has ever seen before?

      Brian
    • Doug
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5, 2007
        Hi, i am assuming that you have curved windshields, as any competent
        glass shop could make flat ones. where are you located? you could try
        here: www.rvdoctorgeorge.com
        he is located in Sacramento Ca. but might be able to ship to you if he
        has one, or maybe refer you to someone. also try a google search. i
        have found many supplier listings and lots of info that way. Doug

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "John Doe" <bigbusguy@...> wrote:

        > Any one know where I can get replacement windsheld windows for a 1974
        > shasta that no one has ever seen before?
        >
        > Brian

      • Doug
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2007
          also, try here:

          www.dcmco.com/dcmrvcomp.htm

          www.coachglass.com

          Doug
        • Eric
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2007
            You should contact factory directly with serial number & get the
            application info from their records.
            Shasta Industries
            P9. Box 631, Middlebury, IN 46540
            1-800-233-5571
            Web site: www.shastaind.com

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "John Doe" <bigbusguy@...> wrote:

            > Any one know where I can get replacement windsheld windows for a 1974
            > shasta that no one has ever seen before?
            >
            > Brian

          • Scott Williams
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 6, 2007
              There's no longer a website for Shasta Industries, you could try to
              contact Coachmen (www.coachmen.com) to see if they have any information
              going that far back. It would probably help if you could find the
              vehicle information plate, try near the driver's seat and near the entry
              door.

              Scott in Penfield NY

              Eric wrote:
              > You should contact factory directly with serial number & get the
              > application info from their records.
              > Shasta Industries
              > P9. Box 631, Middlebury, IN 46540
              > 1-800-233-5571
              > Web site: www.shastaind.com
              >
              > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "John Doe" <bigbusguy@...> wrote:
              >> Any one know where I can get replacement windsheld windows for a 1974
              >> shasta that no one has ever seen before?
              >>
              >> Brian
            • Dave P
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 6, 2007
                I seem to remember a shop in Elkhart that specializes in motorhome windshields, new and old. Unfortunately, I can't think of the name of it. I think they used advertise in the classified section of Motorhome magazine. Search, then post on RV.net...someone on there has got to know the name of the place.

                Dave

                Eric wrote:
                > You should contact factory directly with serial number & get the
                > application info from their records.
                > Shasta Industries
                > P9. Box 631, Middlebury, IN 46540
                > 1-800-233-5571
                > Web site: www.shastaind.com
                >
                > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "John Doe" <bigbusguy@...> wrote:
                >> Any one know where I can get replacement windsheld windows for a 1974
                >> shasta that no one has ever seen before?
                >>
                >> Brian

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Scott Williams
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 6, 2007
                  Whenever I see an old coach with a curved windshield, I assume that the
                  windshield is from a bus or truck from that era, is that assumption
                  correct, or totally off? I just can't see a builder that produces a
                  couple hundred coaches a year having a windshield custom made, wouldn't
                  they just find one that works "off the rack"? If so, wouldn't finding
                  the compatible windshield be most of the battle? Hoping someone out
                  there knows...

                  Scott in Penfield NY

                  John Doe wrote:
                  > Any one know where I can get replacement windsheld windows for a 1974
                  > shasta that no one has ever seen before?
                  >
                  > Brian
                • John Doe
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 6, 2007
                    I will give a group thanks to all that been helping.

                    Yes I called all the RV glass places and Coachman. None have books
                    that old or any info , I have a guy at ppg who made windows in the
                    70's working on it . I been looking trying to find a 70's truck that
                    looks like it has the same shape windows becouse also I dont think
                    they had them custom made.

                    The only number I found was on the coach was just under the vin
                    plate ( A2927 ) what it is i dont know. I have found no other info.
                    The person at Coachman who worked for shasta said he dont remember
                    any like mine all in the early 70's he said was like the winibegos
                    all flat fronts.
                    I can for more $$ then the motor home is worth have them custom made.

                    If I can not find I will just regasket what I have they are not all
                    that bad only a small crack out of view on the side.
                    I hope one day some one will come up with a model and some
                    information on my 1974 Shasta motor home. I have done searchs and I
                    can not even come up with any photos or any thing on 1974 it like it
                    was never made.

                    Thanks to all who have replyed to all my posts.

                    Brian

                    One of a kind
                    1974 24' Shasta motor home

                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Scott Williams <swillia5@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Whenever I see an old coach with a curved windshield, I assume that
                    the
                    > windshield is from a bus or truck from that era, is that assumption
                    > correct, or totally off? I just can't see a builder that produces
                    > couple hundred coaches a year having a windshield custom made,
                    wouldn't
                    > they just find one that works "off the rack"? If so, wouldn't
                    finding
                    > the compatible windshield be most of the battle? Hoping someone
                    out
                    > there knows...
                    >
                    > Scott in Penfield NY
                    >
                    > John Doe wrote:
                    > > Any one know where I can get replacement windsheld windows for a
                    1974
                    > > shasta that no one has ever seen before?
                    > >
                    > > Brian

                  • Ron Mitchell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 6, 2007
                      Look on the glass itself. There's got to be a DOT label on it,
                      usually down in a corner, probably along with a manufacturer's
                      number. When I took my Coachmen in to replace the (flat) windshield
                      panels, I thought I was going to get regular clear safety glass, but
                      the guy looked at the DOT label and was able to order the exact same
                      #10 tinted safety glass. I was pleasantly surprised when he told me
                      he found the correct OEM replacement glass.

                      Ron
                      76 Coachmen

                    • dxxx cxxxxx
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 6, 2007
                        Brian, how about posting some pics of your rig? Doug

                        Got a little couch potato?
                      • Scott Williams
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
                          From his first post: "I posted a photo under 1974 shasta motorhome"

                          Scott in Penfield

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
                            I like the idea of checking the glass for numbers. Also, the grille is
                            from a Ford truck, so maybe take a closer look at all the Fords
                            available back then (or before then) for glass? I know your chassis is
                            GMC, so check them as well... Maybe take a look at buses, too.

                            Scott in Penfield NY

                            John Doe wrote:
                            > I will give a group thanks to all that been helping.
                            >
                            > Yes I called all the RV glass places and Coachman. None have books
                            > that old or any info , I have a guy at ppg who made windows in the
                            > 70's working on it . I been looking trying to find a 70's truck that
                            > looks like it has the same shape windows becouse also I dont think
                            > they had them custom made.
                            >
                            > The only number I found was on the coach was just under the vin
                            > plate ( A2927 ) what it is i dont know. I have found no other info.
                            > The person at Coachman who worked for shasta said he dont remember
                            > any like mine all in the early 70's he said was like the winibegos
                            > all flat fronts.
                            > I can for more $$ then the motor home is worth have them custom made.
                            >
                            > If I can not find I will just regasket what I have they are not all
                            > that bad only a small crack out of view on the side.
                            > I hope one day some one will come up with a model and some
                            > information on my 1974 Shasta motor home. I have done searchs and I
                            > can not even come up with any photos or any thing on 1974 it like it
                            > was never made.
                            >
                            > Thanks to all who have replyed to all my posts.
                            >
                            > Brian
                            >
                            > One of a kind
                            > 1974 24' Shasta motor home
                          • John Doe
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
                              I done that with the window numbers talked to the PPG factory and the
                              numbers break down to only tell the year of the glass 1971 plant it
                              was made and thickness nothing on the model or truck they may have
                              fit in. I was hoping it would but no luck. :(

                              Brian

                              Brian--- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Ron Mitchell <rmitchel@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Look on the glass itself. There's got to be a DOT label on it,
                              > usually down in a corner, probably along with a manufacturer's
                              > number. When I took my Coachmen in to replace the (flat) windshield
                              > panels, I thought I was going to get regular clear safety glass,
                              but
                              > the guy looked at the DOT label and was able to order the exact
                              same
                              > #10 tinted safety glass. I was pleasantly surprised when he told me
                              > he found the correct OEM replacement glass.
                              >
                              > Ron
                              > 76 Coachmen
                              >
                              > At 08:34 PM 08/06/2007, you wrote:
                              >
                              > >I will give a group thanks to all that been helping.
                              > >
                              > >Yes I called all the RV glass places and Coachman. None have books
                              > >that old or any info , I have a guy at ppg who made windows in the
                              > >70's working on it . I been looking trying to find a 70's truck
                              that
                              > >looks like it has the same shape windows becouse also I dont think
                              > >they had them custom made.
                              > >
                              > >The only number I found was on the coach was just under the vin
                              > >plate ( A2927 ) what it is i dont know. I have found no other info.
                              > >The person at Coachman who worked for shasta said he dont remember
                              > >any like mine all in the early 70's he said was like the winibegos
                              > >all flat fronts.
                              > >I can for more $$ then the motor home is worth have them custom
                              made.

                              > >If I can not find I will just regasket what I have they are not all
                              > >that bad only a small crack out of view on the side.
                              > >I hope one day some one will come up with a model and some
                              > >information on my 1974 Shasta motor home. I have done searchs and I
                              > >can not even come up with any photos or any thing on 1974 it like
                              it
                              > >was never made.
                              > >
                              > >Thanks to all who have replyed to all my posts.
                              > >
                              > >Brian
                              > >
                              > >One of a kind
                              > >1974 24' Shasta motor home
                              > >
                              > >--- In
                              > ><mailto:classicrv%40yahoogroups.com>classicrv@yahoogroups.com,
                              Scott
                              > >Williams <swillia5@>
                              > >wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Whenever I see an old coach with a curved windshield, I assume
                              that
                              > >the
                              > > > windshield is from a bus or truck from that era, is that
                              assumption
                              > > > correct, or totally off? I just can't see a builder that
                              produces
                              > > > couple hundred coaches a year having a windshield custom made,
                              > >wouldn't
                              > > > they just find one that works "off the rack"? If so, wouldn't
                              > >finding
                              > > > the compatible windshield be most of the battle? Hoping someone
                              > >out
                              > > > there knows...
                              > > >
                              > > > Scott in Penfield NY

                              > >1974

                            • lena knighten
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
                                Don't know that it will do any good, We have a truck
                                salvage yard locally.
                                Shane's truck salvage
                                304 229 2003
                                Thats in West Virginia. Last time I was over there he
                                had a mess of school buses and big trucks, Course that
                                was a few years ago but it might be worth a call.
                                Lena

                                Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                                http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222