Re: [classicrv] 86 Toyota Conquest

  • Billy Mason
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
      since im stuck out here in utah for the last 9 years, thats not to bad of a
      price...im up closer to salt lake city..but the price of camper, motor
      homes,,bring top dollar. the thing to look at is out here we got alot of
      mountains to climb, and if it beens used alot,,its been to the mountains..so
      make sure the drivetrain isnt wore out.. the thing on these toyotas, they
      are gear right for the job.. they get decent milage, or should since its a
      toy, and it should hav3e the 22r motor in it..if it does, and th maintance
      has been kept up, it is good for several hundred thousand miles...just look
      for the water damage,,or leaks..check all the aplainces... good luck with
      your adventures...
      billy

      > Does anyone else think $2295 for a southern Utah (think dry, no rust,
      > not much chance of water damage) Toyota Conquest Class C is a great
      > deal? Of course, it says "As is", indicating there's work to be done.
      > Even so, I'd have been all over that if I didn't have 7 kids to take
      > along with us (thus the 33' Class A.) If they say it needs work, that
      > just means they're honest, the rest of us bought 20+ year old motorhomes
      > that "didn't need work" or just needed "a little work" (yeah, right!)

    • Dutch
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
        About the only thing I would add to Scott's excellent review of the
        Toyota based class C's, is that there was a rear axle recall that
        affected most '86 and older units, where an inadequate and dangerous
        semi-floating rear axle and "homemade" dual wheel setup, was replaced
        with a heavy duty full-floating axle and true deep-dish dual wheels.
        Most '86's were upgraded prior to being sold, but some older units
        without the upgrade are still out there. The Toyota-Campers group has
        some good pictures of the good and bad axles/duals in their photo
        section. Basically, if the rear axle has 6-lugs and a large protruding
        center hub, it's ok.

        Dutch
        '86 Dolphin 21'

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Scott Williams <swillia5@...> wrote:

        > If the size of a Toyota class C is good for you, they're very
        > reliable vehicles. Not a ton of power, but they make up for it with
        > great fuel economy (relatively) and I bet cheaper maintenance (I'm
        > guessing the tires are a lot less money than the 19.5" ones for my
        > Class A.) You definitely want to look at the frame and underside
        > for rust, as Toyotas had rust issues.
      • Nancy
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 13, 2007
          Well I bought it for $2500, Thanks for all the advice. I believe I
          found a good mechanic. He says I have a honey of a motor in it. The
          breaks and break lines were rusting out, replaced them along with
          shocks, new tires, Belts & hoses. I will need to replace radiator
          before I start fulltiming, it doesn't leak just old and turning green
          so I'd rather replace it before I get out in the boonies and break down.

          Gypsy Nancy
        • Scott Williams
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 14, 2007
            Great, how about posting some pics on the group site?

            Scott in Penfield NY

            Nancy wrote:
            > Well I bought it for $2500, Thanks for all the advice. I believe I
            > found a good mechanic. He says I have a honey of a motor in it. The
            > breaks and break lines were rusting out, replaced them along with
            > shocks, new tires, Belts & hoses. I will need to replace radiator
            > before I start fulltiming, it doesn't leak just old and turning green
            > so I'd rather replace it before I get out in the boonies and break down.
            >
            > Gypsy Nancy
          • Penny
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 15, 2007
              > Nancy wrote:
              > > Well I bought it for $2500, Thanks for all the advice. I believe I
              > > found a good mechanic. He says I have a honey of a motor in it. The
              > > breaks and break lines were rusting out, replaced them along with
              > > shocks, new tires, Belts & hoses. >>>

              Nancy, here is a mine of information for you :
              Happy Trails, Penny TX
            • Nancy
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 16, 2007
                I will post pics as soon as I get some hopefully in the next few days

                Gypsy Nancy