Re: [classicrv] 86 Toyota Conquest

  • Scott Williams
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 31, 2007
      If the size of a Toyota class C is good for you, they're very reliable
      vehicles. Not a ton of power, but they make up for it with great fuel
      economy (relatively) and I bet cheaper maintenance (I'm guessing the
      tires are a lot less money than the 19.5" ones for my Class A.) You
      definitely want to look at the frame and underside for rust, as Toyotas
      had rust issues.

      I wouldn't worry as much about oil leaks from the drivetrain (they can
      be fixed) as I would current/former water leaks in the coach. Check
      around ceiling vents, roof AC unit, and especially around the bunk area
      above the cab. Also poke at the floor in all the corners and along all
      the walls. Water can leak into an outside wall (perhaps at a window)
      and run down inside the wall and soak into the floor, without even
      showing up on the wall. Evidence of a leak is common, you really want
      to look for structural damage (rotted wood, mostly, or de-laminating
      fiberglass exterior panels) caused by long-term moisture problems.

      I'd say to look for a solid coach first, then solid truck
      frame/structure, and last solid mechanicals. Toyota trucks from the
      1980s are considered bulletproof as long as you can keep the rust away,
      especially the 4 cylinder rear wheel drive models. I suspect the coach
      added enough weight to make them somewhat overloaded, as they never had
      a Toyota pickup that was really what I'd consider a "1 ton", let alone a
      2 ton +.

      If it's a manual transmission (these are some of the only Class C's that
      offered that) you want to test the clutch. Put it into top gear, and
      try to leave from a stop. You want the engine to stall, if the clutch
      just slips instead, that's bad. Trying to leave from a stop in second
      gear could help you determine if the clutch is "grabby" as well, it
      should slip smoothly without shuddering.

      I found an '87 for sale in Utah on Craigslist, it shows some pictures to
      give an idea of the size of these units:

      http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/rvs/381751060.html

      Looks like a nice unit, though the access to the coach from the cockpit
      looks limited. I'd be inclined to exit the vehicle and walk around if
      my back was feeling stiff (like it is right now...) Sliding the
      passenger seat forward could help if there's no passenger riding with
      you, but it would still be a climb/crawl affair.

      Does anyone else think $2295 for a southern Utah (think dry, no rust,
      not much chance of water damage) Toyota Conquest Class C is a great
      deal? Of course, it says "As is", indicating there's work to be done.
      Even so, I'd have been all over that if I didn't have 7 kids to take
      along with us (thus the 33' Class A.) If they say it needs work, that
      just means they're honest, the rest of us bought 20+ year old motorhomes
      that "didn't need work" or just needed "a little work" (yeah, right!)

      Good luck with your RV adventures, and sorry to hear that you don't get
      to go on them with your sweetheart.

      Scott in Penfield NY
      1983 Shasta/Sportscoach 33' SB Roadmaster (Class A 454 P30)

      Nancy wrote:
      > I'm kinda new to the group and going to buy a used class c. I looked
      > at a 86 Toyota Conquest 4cyl yesterday. Since my husband died(the
      > mechanic in the family) I have a hard time finding anyone that I trust
      > to get advice from. The home has 109,000 miles no oil leakage on the
      > ground under it. I haven't driven it yet and need to know just what
      > to look for. I will appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks in advance
      >
      > Gypsy Nancy
    • Billy Mason
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
        since im stuck out here in utah for the last 9 years, thats not to bad of a
        price...im up closer to salt lake city..but the price of camper, motor
        homes,,bring top dollar. the thing to look at is out here we got alot of
        mountains to climb, and if it beens used alot,,its been to the mountains..so
        make sure the drivetrain isnt wore out.. the thing on these toyotas, they
        are gear right for the job.. they get decent milage, or should since its a
        toy, and it should hav3e the 22r motor in it..if it does, and th maintance
        has been kept up, it is good for several hundred thousand miles...just look
        for the water damage,,or leaks..check all the aplainces... good luck with
        your adventures...
        billy

        > Does anyone else think $2295 for a southern Utah (think dry, no rust,
        > not much chance of water damage) Toyota Conquest Class C is a great
        > deal? Of course, it says "As is", indicating there's work to be done.
        > Even so, I'd have been all over that if I didn't have 7 kids to take
        > along with us (thus the 33' Class A.) If they say it needs work, that
        > just means they're honest, the rest of us bought 20+ year old motorhomes
        > that "didn't need work" or just needed "a little work" (yeah, right!)

      • Dutch
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
          About the only thing I would add to Scott's excellent review of the
          Toyota based class C's, is that there was a rear axle recall that
          affected most '86 and older units, where an inadequate and dangerous
          semi-floating rear axle and "homemade" dual wheel setup, was replaced
          with a heavy duty full-floating axle and true deep-dish dual wheels.
          Most '86's were upgraded prior to being sold, but some older units
          without the upgrade are still out there. The Toyota-Campers group has
          some good pictures of the good and bad axles/duals in their photo
          section. Basically, if the rear axle has 6-lugs and a large protruding
          center hub, it's ok.

          Dutch
          '86 Dolphin 21'

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Scott Williams <swillia5@...> wrote:

          > If the size of a Toyota class C is good for you, they're very
          > reliable vehicles. Not a ton of power, but they make up for it with
          > great fuel economy (relatively) and I bet cheaper maintenance (I'm
          > guessing the tires are a lot less money than the 19.5" ones for my
          > Class A.) You definitely want to look at the frame and underside
          > for rust, as Toyotas had rust issues.
        • Nancy
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 13, 2007
            Well I bought it for $2500, Thanks for all the advice. I believe I
            found a good mechanic. He says I have a honey of a motor in it. The
            breaks and break lines were rusting out, replaced them along with
            shocks, new tires, Belts & hoses. I will need to replace radiator
            before I start fulltiming, it doesn't leak just old and turning green
            so I'd rather replace it before I get out in the boonies and break down.

            Gypsy Nancy
          • Scott Williams
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 14, 2007
              Great, how about posting some pics on the group site?

              Scott in Penfield NY

              Nancy wrote:
              > Well I bought it for $2500, Thanks for all the advice. I believe I
              > found a good mechanic. He says I have a honey of a motor in it. The
              > breaks and break lines were rusting out, replaced them along with
              > shocks, new tires, Belts & hoses. I will need to replace radiator
              > before I start fulltiming, it doesn't leak just old and turning green
              > so I'd rather replace it before I get out in the boonies and break down.
              >
              > Gypsy Nancy
            • Penny
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 15, 2007
                > Nancy wrote:
                > > Well I bought it for $2500, Thanks for all the advice. I believe I
                > > found a good mechanic. He says I have a honey of a motor in it. The
                > > breaks and break lines were rusting out, replaced them along with
                > > shocks, new tires, Belts & hoses. >>>

                Nancy, here is a mine of information for you :
                Happy Trails, Penny TX
              • Nancy
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 16, 2007
                  I will post pics as soon as I get some hopefully in the next few days

                  Gypsy Nancy