Re: Explorer Update

  • regal5575
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
      Shad,

      I bought mine over the Internet from Summit Racing. Less than $200 for
      a distributer (that I needed) and the control box. Here's a link
      (prices have gone up since I purchased)

      http://tinyurl.com/37g952 <http://tinyurl.com/37g952>

      JerryK

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Shad McIntosh" <lulingcop204@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks Scott and Penny, Yeah I put the window unit in but I think it
      > may put me over the white trash threshold(although i does cool off
      > great). I have decided to go with an AC model with a heat strip so I
      > won't have to mess with the propane furnace. It looks like I'll be off
      > work all day so I guess I'll take it for a spin (about 60 miles). this
      > will be by far the farthest yet. My wife will be home on standby in
      > case she needs to pull me home with my tail between my legs.
      >
      > Jerry mentioned an electronic ignition to save gas. Anyone know the
      > price range or what is involved in installing one? Thanks, Shad

    • Scott Williams
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
        Shad,

        You might want to try a Pertronix aftermarket ignition module. I had
        one in an old MGB (if ever a car needed a better ignition) it just drops
        inside the distributor, simple job.

        I bet, however, that you could look on some online Mopar forums and find
        out a good cheap way to get a distributor from a later model Mopar that
        came with factory electronic ignition, and just swap it over. I know
        that can be done with GM stuff. Probably $25 or less that way, plus
        some time looking it all up.

        Find a Pertronix here:
        http://vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/dodge.htm

        I don't know if that's the best price available, see if you can find the
        part number then do a google search for it and see what prices you come
        up with.

        It wouldn't have to save much gas to be worth the ~ $90-$100, especially
        considering the reliability and consistency of electronic spark. Set it
        and forget it. Points go out of adjustment slowly, so you don't notice,
        just gets gradually worse power, harder starting, etc.

        Good luck with the sagging roof, I don't envy you:

        http://rvforsaleguide.com/trailer-repair/repair-trailer-roof.htm

        I almost got a saggy-roofed trailer (they sell cheap, so it's tempting.)
        The Photo section has pictures of the coach I ended up with, in the
        album called "1983 Shasta 33ft Class A".

        We've got 7 kids, ages 15 down to 4 months, and I find that the wife and
        I have begun to sneak out to the MH just to sit together in peace and
        quiet...

        Scott in Penfield NY
        1983 Shasta/Sportscoach 33' SB Roadmaster (Class A 454 P30)