Re: [classicrv] " I " sore

  • betnden@peoplepc.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2007
      I'd be careful about what is said on this subject. I thought I was in a
      place where it didn't matter that much about 'my' personal property, but I
      found out differently.

      It seems that the county sheriff sends Officer Barney Fife (you remember
      him?) out to an area or back road and expect him to write a number of
      violations. I have about a dozen cars and trucks, all in one piece and not
      damaged, and most of them are capable of driving off on short notice. Even
      my antiques that are registered and used regularly can't escape this law.
      So, be careful what you say...

      Dennis in Eastexas
      "It's not Rocket Surgery"

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
        Years ago my father-in-law bought a home in one of these "association"
        type neighborhoods, it was like a townhome or condo, except they had
        separate homes. He bought a brand new pickup truck, and got a note
        saying he couldn't park it outside, as it was a "commercial" vehicle (in
        NY pickup trucks usually get commercial plates, or used to, anyway.) So
        he bought this awful old station wagon, gathered some cans of paint in
        various colors, and gave paint brushes to a bunch of his kids and let
        them paint it. Then parked it right at the end of his driveway. His
        was the first house in the complex, and there were still many unsold
        units down the street. He relished their pleas to get rid of that evil
        beast. He could be a terrible SOB if he wanted to, and they'd brought
        it out of him with their complaint about his NEW pickup truck.

        We've got 5 acres, and where I live, that's officially a
        farm/agricultural (we have a barn) so I can pretty much do whatever I
        want, much to the chagrin of some of the neighbors with high $$ houses.
        My wife, on the other hand, isn't as amused by this... But she does
        like the old Shasta! ;-)

        Scott in Penfield NY
        1984 Shasta/Sportscoach 33' SB Roadmaster (Class A 454 P30)

        Wesley Furr wrote:
        > That's just too funny! Thanks for sharing! Sounds like he didn't have
        > enough to do and was allowing him time to stew on your motorhome. Now he
        > should have enough to keep him busy that he'll forget about it for a while!
        > :-)
        >
        > I'm glad to live in the country where I can do what I want with my
        > property... There's a guy I know who lives in an area with a homeowners
        > association. He tells me he can't park his trailer (nice fairly new unit -
        > but applies to *all* trailers) at his house for more than 48 hours.
        > Apparently it's a neighborhood full of old folks with nothing to do but
        > nit-pick and be annoying...and hold homeowners association meetings in the
        > middle of the day in the middle of the week when everyone else can't attend!
        > After it's been parked at his house a *very* short time, he's already gotten
        > a note reminding him he has to move it...that sort of stupidness.
        >
        > He told me about a friend of his who had parked (I think a small utility
        > trailer, don't remember for sure now) at his house and they played that same
        > game. He threatened to get the biggest and ugliest old junky motorhome he
        > could find and drive it to work every day. They left him alone after
        > that... :-)
        >
        > Wesley
      • Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
          We live in south Atlanta. We live in area that has older homes from the 70’s
          none the less the huge homes in our area are 4,000-12,000 sq ft and updated.
          Nice thing is you can still get land around here and still live with in 30
          mins of the city. Anyhow the city says that we should hide our rvs or
          trailers in the backyard. Well no one cares even the city. My neighbor down
          the street has a huge fifth wheel and pop up and always about 4-6 cars
          parked in the driveway. The limit is 2 cars in the driveway. My next door
          neighbors have an old 50’s camper. So I knew we wouldn’t have a problem
          getting one and parking it in our driveway. We poured a special slab and if
          need be we can close it in if anyone ever reported us. Our house is set back
          in to the woods and far off the street. We don’t live in a subdivision. All
          the homes have to have 2 plus acres. One thing I have learned was to just
          not make a fuss about things and just leave things alone. Then they won’t
          come back to bite you in the ass. I swore I would never live in a
          subdivision again. Even this area has a lot more rules than I like. If I
          would have known what I know I would have moved to the other county. We had
          to live here since where my husband works commuting is not easy here. He’s
          got 11 more years left being an officer in the Army and then he will have
          served 31 years and we are going to retire somewhere in Georgia but not in
          the city anywhere.

          I would have done the same thing that is just to funny!!!!! I had a neighbor
          up north that was a pain in the rear and ever since then I have wanted to
          get more land. WE have 2 ½ acres right now wish this house had more.

          Elizabeth

          Wesley Furr wrote:
          > That's just too funny! Thanks for sharing! Sounds like he didn't have
          > enough to do and was allowing him time to stew on your motorhome. Now he
          > should have enough to keep him busy that he'll forget about it for a
          while!
          > :-)
          >
          > I'm glad to live in the country where I can do what I want with my
          > property... There's a guy I know who lives in an area with a homeowners
          > association. He tells me he can't park his trailer (nice fairly new unit -
          > but applies to *all* trailers) at his house for more than 48 hours.
          > Apparently it's a neighborhood full of old folks with nothing to do but
          > nit-pick and be annoying...and hold homeowners association meetings in the
          > middle of the day in the middle of the week when everyone else can't
          attend!
          > After it's been parked at his house a *very* short time, he's already
          gotten
          > a note reminding him he has to move it...that sort of stupidness.
          >
          > He told me about a friend of his who had parked (I think a small utility
          > trailer, don't remember for sure now) at his house and they played that
          same
          > game. He threatened to get the biggest and ugliest old junky motorhome he
          > could find and drive it to work every day. They left him alone after
          > that... :-)
          >
          > Wesley

        • lena knighten
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
            Hi Elizabeth,
            Tell your husband "Thanks". I appreciate all our
            personal in uniform, And the sacrifices they have made
            and are ready to make. I bought in a subdivision in
            86. Right away two neighbors came and gave me the
            restriction speech. At the time I was the only house
            down here (we are in a creek bottom). I just let their
            speeches run their course. Then did what I felt like.
            Since I am at the end of a cul-de-sac no one else had
            to go past my messy place. I now have one neighbor
            catty corned across from me. She is a sweet heart and
            never says anything. She bought the lot beside me so
            her horses could have room to run a (an also to keep
            anyone from buying and building there).
            Haven't had any problems from anyone and it is quiet
            and peaceful here.

            Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
          • Elizabeth
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
              Yeah I agree but around here everyone has a trailer parked where it
              shouldn’t be. The county code here is ridiculous about a lot of things! I
              only have about another year here until I move on. So I’m just holding my
              breath until then. My neighbors are very nice and they are all originals
              who built the homes here in the 70’s so they have a leave it be attitude.
              Most of the homes in our area are very nice and people know to keep things
              looking nice. For instance people aren’t allowed to have farm animals in a
              residential area if you have under 5 acres no chickens etc.. Well you
              guessed people have chickens on 2 ½ acres behind me. So people let things go
              around here they don’t care. As long as you don’t have junk in your yard or
              trash and you cut your yard people will leave you alone. When moving down to
              GA I had a hard time getting used to seeing a lot of junk and trash in
              people’s yards.

              Elizabeth