Re: [classicrv] Vintage

  • lena knighten
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
      Just last week, we were working on the roads and a
      fellow came along on a bicycle with a chain saw motor
      rigged up on it! He was Buzzing right along. The only
      problem I saw was when he wanted to stop he had to
      shut it off, Then restart it to go again.
      Lena
      --- Robert Johnston <e_5th_rct@...> wrote:

      > Paid 11 cents for my first gallon of gas, for my
      > bicycle
      > with a Whizzer Motor on it, which got 125 miles to
      > the gallon.
      > Could work for Western Union delivering telegrams
      > all week,
      > for two gallons of gas.
      >
      > JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:
      > Did you notice the price of Gasoline
      > at the gas station? 16 cents.
      > JerryK
      >
      > cammalu2@... wrote:
      > I wonder if this old
      > RV/Bus/Airplane/whatchamacallit from 1935 is still
      > in
      > existence? Funny sounding engine too.
      >
      > _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YyFQgGTHfs_
      > (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YyFQgGTHfs)
      >
      > ***
      >

      > Bob & Nadine,
      > 1984 Allegro 26 feet,
      > Living Life With a "Golden Age Passport"
      > and Thousand Trails Membership, Priceless!
      > 5th Regimental Combat Team, Korea
      > ..... FREEDOM IS NOT FREE .....
      > --- Three Grandchildren serve in Iraq ---

      > removed]

    • Dutch
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
        Oh, I agree, Jerry! Even $2.33 would look good now... :-)

        Dutch

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

        > You're right, but I remember paying $017.9/gal. for Golftane and
        Sunoco-180 in 1964.
        > Either way it's better than the $3.49 were paying now.
        > JerryK
        >
        > Dutch <yahoo.mail@...> wrote:
        > As good as that 16 cents per gallon looks, adjusted for
        inflation,
        > thats about $2.33 in 2006 dollars... :-)
        >
        > Dutch
        >
        > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, JerryK <regal5575@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Did you notice the price of Gasoline at the gas station? 16 cents.
        > > JerryK
        > >
        > > cammalu2@ wrote:
        > > I wonder if this old RV/Bus/Airplane/whatchamacallit from
        > 1935 is still in
        > > existence? Funny sounding engine too.
        > >
        > > _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YyFQgGTHfs_
        > > (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YyFQgGTHfs)
      • Lynnie Whitefield
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
          Don't all chainsaws have centrifucal clutches so that when you let off the gas the chain stops? It seems a chainsaw would be mighty dangerous without a clutch. I know some gas powered string trimmers come without clutches.

          Lynnie

          Just last week, we were working on the roads and a
          fellow came along on a bicycle with a chain saw motor
          rigged up on it! He was Buzzing right along. The only
          problem I saw was when he wanted to stop he had to
          shut it off, Then restart it to go again.
          Lena
          --- Robert Johnston <e_5th_rct@...> wrote:

          > Paid 11 cents for my first gallon of gas, for my
          > bicycle
          > with a Whizzer Motor on it, which got 125 miles to
          > the gallon.
          > Could work for Western Union delivering telegrams
          > all week,
          > for two gallons of gas.
          >
          > JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:
          > Did you notice the price of Gasoline
          > at the gas station? 16 cents.
          > JerryK
          >
          > cammalu2@... wrote:
          > I wonder if this old
          > RV/Bus/Airplane/whatchamacallit from 1935 is still
          > in
          > existence? Funny sounding engine too.
          >
          > _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YyFQgGTHfs_
          > (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YyFQgGTHfs)
          >
          > ***
          >

          > Bob & Nadine,
          > 1984 Allegro 26 feet,
          > Living Life With a "Golden Age Passport"
          > and Thousand Trails Membership, Priceless!
          > 5th Regimental Combat Team, Korea
          > ..... FREEDOM IS NOT FREE .....
          > --- Three Grandchildren serve in Iraq ---

          > removed]

        • JerryK

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
              Not all do.

              Lynnie Whitefield <birdman1@...> wrote: Don't all chainsaws have centrifucal clutches so that when you let off the gas the chain stops? It seems a chainsaw would be mighty dangerous without a clutch. I know some gas powered string trimmers come without clutches.

              Lynnie

              Just last week, we were working on the roads and a
              fellow came along on a bicycle with a chain saw motor
              rigged up on it! He was Buzzing right along. The only
              problem I saw was when he wanted to stop he had to
              shut it off, Then restart it to go again.
              Lena
              --- Robert Johnston <e_5th_rct@...> wrote:

              > Paid 11 cents for my first gallon of gas, for my
              > bicycle
              > with a Whizzer Motor on it, which got 125 miles to
              > the gallon.
              > Could work for Western Union delivering telegrams
              > all week,
              > for two gallons of gas.
              >
              > JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:
              > Did you notice the price of Gasoline
              > at the gas station? 16 cents.
              > JerryK
              >
              > cammalu2@... wrote:
              > I wonder if this old
              > RV/Bus/Airplane/whatchamacallit from 1935 is still
              > in
              > existence? Funny sounding engine too.
              >
              > _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YyFQgGTHfs_
              > (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YyFQgGTHfs)
              >
              > ***
              >

              > Bob & Nadine,
              > 1984 Allegro 26 feet,
              > Living Life With a "Golden Age Passport"
              > and Thousand Trails Membership, Priceless!
              > 5th Regimental Combat Team, Korea
              > ..... FREEDOM IS NOT FREE .....
              > --- Three Grandchildren serve in Iraq ---

              > removed]

            • Ron Mitchell
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
                I haven't seen a chainsaw without a clutch for a long time. My old
                Homelite from 20 years ago had one. All new ones have clutches and
                most (if not all) have chain brakes now, too. A saw without a clutch
                is a dangerous puppy. If you set it down and it catches something on
                the ground, it could fly all over the place and cause great damage to
                anyone in its' way. They learned that a long time ago! I'll bet the
                guy removed the clutch when he jury-rigged the engine to the bike.
                I saw a guy last year putt-putting up the local river in a small
                boat. On the back was an old 3-5 Hp lawn mower engine mated to the
                drive section of an outboard!

                Ron
                76 Coachmen

              • bob dobalina
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Does it stop like an e-brake would? I suppose I should have explained better, but when you let the gas off it does not stop as an e-brake would. The chain slows down and spins slightly at idle, unless your bar is dry.
                  Correct me if I'm wrong... Please!

                  Ron Mitchell <rmitchel@...> wrote: I haven't seen a chainsaw without a clutch for a long time. My old

                • lena knighten
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
                    Somehow he had the motor on the front tire without any
                    chain. I did not get a good look just a quick glance.
                    Lena

                    http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
                  • Scott Williams
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 1, 2007
                      A common way to hook a motor to a bicycle is to bolt a skateboard wheel
                      to the motor shaft, and set it so that it rubs against the tread of the
                      tire, sometimes with a pivot and a spring holding it there. That way,
                      you can rig a bike brake lever to release the tension, so it works like
                      a clutch. You have to rig a good throttle, though, or when you release
                      the tension, the motor revs like crazy.

                      I suppose you could also bolt the skateboard wheel to the centrifugal
                      clutch, but that would make it pretty far out of line with the center of
                      the bike.

                      Fun idea, if you ask me. I want one. Too many projects right now,
                      though (but I do have a pile of old chainsaws...)

                      Scott in Penfield NY

                      lena knighten wrote:
                      > Somehow he had the motor on the front tire without any
                      > chain. I did not get a good look just a quick glance.
                      > Lena
                      > --- Lynnie Whitefield <birdman1@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Don't all chainsaws have centrifucal clutches so
                      >> that when you let off the gas the chain stops? It
                      >> seems a chainsaw would be mighty dangerous without a
                      >> clutch. I know some gas powered string trimmers come
                      >> without clutches.
                      >>
                      >> Lynnie

                    • lena knighten
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 2, 2007
                        It would have been interesting to have found out his
                        gas milage.
                        Lena

                      • Robert Johnston
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 3, 2007
                          That was in a Boston suburb in 1939. it was .11 cents, the price went up during WWII, when you could get it. As I worked for Western Union, we got an extra gas ration, as it was considered an essential industry. We carried the telegrams notifying parents or wives, the sons and husbands had been killed in action. As well as those to notify men home on leave, their units had orders to leave so they had to report back to base, etc.. orders to companies producing things for the war... As I got such high mileage, extra credits I didn't need could go to other drivers with cars.

                          But, that is not the lowest price I paid. After getting married in 55 we moved to CT. Then along the Wilbur Cross Turnpike there were so many stations competing for customers they had "gas price wars." Even as late as the early 60's the price of gas would vary drastically. Normally it would run .12 per gallon in the area. But, they would have stations drop the price, then others would, and we bought gas there as low as 8.9 cents a gallon....For years it never went above 12.9 in the area. In western parts of CT we though 19 cents a gallon was high.

                          Today I believe that the "Gas Crisis" was engineered by the Gas companies, to drive a lot of stations out of business, in order to increase the prices. It worked the majority of the Independent stations were closed, and it left only the major companies stations. Then, they began swapping stations, giving the company there stations which were in an area where another company owned more stations, for the stations from the competitors in the area they dominated. It meant increased profits, as they could deliver product more efficiently. There was "no crisis" it was organized. The Gas companies used to own the wells in Arab Countries, not they Countries "own" them, but the Gas companies own a lot of stock in the wells, production equipment manufacturer, etc... They still make profits from every stage, locating oil supplies, the seismic technology needed, to delivery to the Pump, and sales... They shut down refineries on a regular basis, to reduce the amount produced,
                          and create "shortages."

                          Wells in California are still pumping oil today, yet the price of gas in CA is higher than anywhere in the country. Their excuse is that due to a fire in a CA refinery, they "had to shut it down." Like they could not have built ten new refineries, with the obscene profits they are making... No other company I know of, makes such a profit, at the expense of the public... Gas really should be qualified as a Utility, like all public utilities. If their profit level was limited, the shortages would disappear, they would immediately build more refineries..

                          Bob & Nadine

                          JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote: Wow, what year, and location. Don't you wish you could do that now? I remember 33 cent gas as recently as 1975 in the Michigan upper peninsula. Gas has gone up over a dollar per gallon in Michigan in the last year. About a 50% increase. I wish my income would increase 50% a year
                          JerryK

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 3, 2007
                              Normally, the chain will slow down and stop on it's own after you
                              release the throttle. On a correctly adjusted chain saw, the chain
                              will not move at an idle. If the carb is worn or out of adjustment or
                              the gas/oil mix is way out, the engine might surge at idle and spin
                              the chain a little. This will also happen if the idle is set too
                              fast. I've had Homelites, a McCulloch Mac Cat, and now a Stihl. All
                              of them just sit there at an idle and make smoke and noise.

                              The chain brake is an emergency device connected to a paddle-like
                              lever in front of the top handle. Under normal conditions, it doesn't
                              do anything. But, if you catch the tip and/or the saw bucks up at
                              your face, the paddle will hit your forearm, trip the brake, and stop
                              the chain, even at full throttle. It keeps you from accidentally
                              giving yourself a reverse Mohawk. You are supposed to test this by
                              pushing the paddle forward (with the engine at idle). The brake
                              should trip. Squeezing on the throttle will not cause the chain to
                              move. Just give the throttle a quick squeeze to rev up the engine and
                              verify the blade will not move. Keeping the throttle on too long will
                              damage your clutch. Pull back on the paddle to release the brake into
                              its "armed" position. The chain should now spin normally with
                              throttle and stop at an idle.

                              Ron
                              76 Coachmen

                              At 02:42 PM 06/01/2007, you wrote:

                              >Does it stop like an e-brake would? I suppose I should have
                              >explained better, but when you let the gas off it does not stop as
                              >an e-brake would. The chain slows down and spins slightly at idle,
                              >unless your bar is dry.
                              >Correct me if I'm wrong... Please!
                            • Jim & Jan Louiselle
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 3, 2007
                                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

                                > Did you notice the price of Gasoline at the gas station? 16 cents.
                                > JerryK
                                >
                                > cammalu2@... wrote:
                                > I wonder if this old RV/Bus/Airplane/whatchamacallit from
                                1935 is still in
                                > existence? Funny sounding engine too.
                                >
                                > _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YyFQgGTHfs_
                                > (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YyFQgGTHfs)

                                > Pretty wild bodywork there.
                                My guess would be that looking at the dual rear axle and the shear
                                size of the vehicle,and how stiff it appears to ride, ( not much sway)
                                along that distinct exhaust note, that what we have here is a
                                retrofitted heavy duty military truck, probably a 6 to 8 ton transport.