Re: [classicrv] Re: 1979 Dodge transvan stalling

  • Ron Mitchell
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2007
      If you suspect the EGR valve is not closing, which will definitely
      cause a rough idle, try this procedure, from the GMC/Chevy TSB's.

      1. Disconnect the EGR valve's vacuum port and plug the engine side of
      the hose. (Golf tee's work good)
      2. Connect a vacuum pump (like a Mity-Vac - look on Harbor Freight) to the EGR
      3. Run the engine at 2500rpm
      4. Pull a vacuum on the EGR valve to open it fully, then rapidly
      release the vacuum (press the vacuum release button). Do this a few
      times to break loose any carbon buildup on the valve seat and shaft.
      5. Shut the engine down and reconnect everything. Happy Motoring!

      My first EGR replacement on the GMC Safari cost $350 from the dealer.
      The Chevy Blazer had a recall on the EGR and they replaced that one
      for free. Then the mechanic told me about this procedure and it saved
      me big $$$. I've never replaced an EGR since. They seldom really
      fail, they just get carboned up and stick open.

      Anyway, it's worth a try.

      Ron
      76 Coachmen