Brake Lights

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 9:56 PM
      Hi, I have a 72 Dodge Commando and can't seem to get the rear lights
      working. Any ideas would be great. I've searched the archives and
      haven't seemed to get any ideas there. I'm pretty lame when it comes
      to working on wires so bare with me...

      When I got the MH two years ago the rears worked on and off. I got
      all new light housings to start. I pull the old one's off and the
      exposed wires are thus: Green/Orange/White/Brown/Yellow from the left
      side. Green/Orange/Brown/White going over to the right (same four
      going down to the hitch wiring).

      When I hook up the new light assemblies (LH-Orange to backup,
      Green/Brown/Yellow to brake/turn--RH-Orange to backup, Green/Brown to
      brake/turn)
      Any ways, when I hook them up and turn on the parking lights, the
      dual element bulb has both elements shining brightly. When I turn on
      either of the signals, they both blink with both elements going. When
      I depress the brake pedal, nothing happens either way. When I turn
      the parking lights off and ignition off, the lights are still on
      bright as before. When I remove the yellow wire the whole thing goes
      dead.

      It seems to me that none of the wires should be hot until the brakes
      are depressed, the lights are turned on or the turn signal is used.
      The yellow wire is constantly hot.

      Based on what I wrote, any ideas on why I can't get the brake lights
      to come on or go off? Is the yellow wire supposed to be hot all the
      time? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
    • Duane
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 10:17 PM
        Check for a bad ground connection!!