parking brake cable.

  • JANET LOUISELLE
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      We have a 1980 Dodge Country Squire m400 and have redone the brakes ourselves. But have run into a blank wall as to the parking brake cable.
      It is frozen up solid and no amount of WD-40 and banging it has helped.
      I can't seem to find any place that supplies them including Alretta truck parts in Mass. which has just about everything else.
      The only thing I can think of is to completely take it off and try to soak it in penetrating oil for a week or so then see if I can loose it.
      But then I don't know if structurally it would still be trustworthy seeing as I can't inspect the condition of the cable as it is inside of the sheath.
      Any suggestions?
      I spent several weeks last year crawling under the frame doing the brake lines and hate the thought of going through it again but I can't keep using wheel chocks alone.
      thanks.

    • bob dobalina
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        Damn the brake cables, before pulling it to soak it try Marval Mystery Oil, Just disconnect the highest point and flush it in (so it soaks downward) and if that doesn't work get a drive line brake drum instead of a cable, works much better!
        Good luck and have a great day!!!

        JANET LOUISELLE <janet_t_louiselle@...> wrote: We have a 1980 Dodge Country Squire m400 and have redone the brakes ourselves. But have run into a blank wall as to the parking brake cable.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2007
          I went through the brake cable thing on mine because I couldn't find a
          replacement or found one for too much money, they are expensive! I soaked,
          pushed pulled, and it still wouldn't turn loose. I even put it in a long
          piece of capped pvc pipe full of solvent and it still wouldn't free up. I
          finally gave up and ordered one and it works just fine, after lots of
          headaches. So, my advice is: Go out and get a new one!

          Dennis in Eastexas
          "It's not Rocket Surgery"

          > Damn the brake cables, before pulling it to soak it try Marval Mystery
          > Oil, Just disconnect the highest point and flush it in (so it soaks
          > downward) and if that doesn't work get a drive line brake drum instead of
          > a cable, works much better!
          > Good luck and have a great day!!!
          >
          > JANET LOUISELLE <janet_t_louiselle@...> wrote:
          > We have a 1980 Dodge Country Squire m400 and have redone the brakes
          > ourselves. But have run into a blank wall as to the parking brake cable.
          > It is frozen up solid and no amount of WD-40 and banging it has helped.
          > I can't seem to find any place that supplies them including Alretta
          > truck parts in Mass. which has just about everything else.
          > The only thing I can think of is to completely take it off and try to
          > soak it in penetrating oil for a week or so then see if I can loose it.
          > But then I don't know if structurally it would still be trustworthy seeing
          > as I can't inspect the condition of the cable as it is inside of the
          > sheath.
          > Any suggestions?
          > I spent several weeks last year crawling under the frame doing the brake
          > lines and hate the thought of going through it again but I can't keep
          > using wheel chocks alone.
          > thanks.
        • Ron Mitchell
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2007
            I looked everywhere and couldn't find it, new or used. I ended up
            buying the whole unit, drum, cable and all, just to get the cable. As
            it turns out, the brake shoes were shot, anyway, so it wasn't such a
            bad idea and now I have extra parts. I got it from RV Doctor George
            in Sacramento, CA. 916-927-7837 or doc@... The whole
            unit cost me $105, including shipping.

            Ron
            76 Coachmem

            At 04:58 PM 05/01/2007, you wrote:

            >I went through the brake cable thing on mine because I couldn't find a
            >replacement or found one for too much money, they are expensive! I soaked,
            >pushed pulled, and it still wouldn't turn loose. I even put it in a long
            >piece of capped pvc pipe full of solvent and it still wouldn't free up. I
            >finally gave up and ordered one and it works just fine, after lots of
            >headaches. So, my advice is: Go out and get a new one!
            >
            >Dennis in Eastexas
            >"It's not Rocket Surgery"

          • JerryK

              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                He should have also said, don't use the parking brake in cold weather. It
                will freeze and won't let go until it's thawed. Same thing with wipers.
                Don't just turn the key off, make sure they are 'parked' first, otherwise
                you are taking a chance of ripping the blades or burning up the wiper motor.

                Dennis in Eastexas
                "It's not Rocket Surgery"

                >I remember my Dad telling me to make a decision, either use your
                >parking/emergency brake all the time or don't use it at all. Meaning: If
                >you don't use it all the time it will rust and stick/seize when you
                >eventually do use it, and cause you brakes to drag.
                > JerryK
              • JerryK

                  >I remember my Dad telling me to make a decision, either use your
                  >parking/emergency brake all the time or don't use it at all. Meaning: If
                  >you don't use it all the time it will rust and stick/seize when you
                  >eventually do use it, and cause you brakes to drag.
                  > JerryK

                • Michael VanPelt
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                    Agreed. I've lived in Wisconsin (can you say frozen tundra?) all my life &
                    used the parking brake all the time - but that's the ticket, use it all the
                    time or it will freeze up on you.

                    The more I think about it, the more I think that Scott is right. It's
                    possible that the worker bumped the brake line, but on a car that old it
                    could well be just worn & a little movement (or even the wheels having the
                    load taken off) was enough to cause a leak. Even if the brakes were
                    serviced a few years ago, if a car sits for an extended period of time,
                    things can get stiff & dry out.

                    Good luck - it probably will be a bit of a bill if you don't DIY, but it's
                    worth it to be safe.

                    Mike

                    Mike VanPelt

                    Director of Bands & Orchestras